KHM Headliner

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@aearch ; I'm intrigued by your source. Could you please make & share an up close picture of your headliner, so we can see the lines and shape of the holes (perforations) in it?

SMS got their original CSL headliner pattern from me. When I was restoring my CSL 3 years ago, the original headliner material was tattered. It had been removed, but the PO saved the old original material in a box. The PO had purchased some new black material and installed it in the car prior to my purchase, but it was incorrect. I wanted correct. The black SMS material is as close as you will find to original black CSL material. I looked worldwide in 2016, and only SMS would make a small run. I cut a small square out of the original headliner and sent it to them to copy.
Coupeguy in Colorado may have some of my material also. He bought a decent amount when I had it made. (This wasn't a money making venture for me BTW!) Try coupeguy.com.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the pattern embossing looks very correct. its the perforations / dimples that do not. but, it is going in the right direction ... much more so than any other approach we have seen so far

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
rsporsche there are two kinds of headliners of course one with the dimples and one thats here
this is the so called linear the other is completely unavailable as i found the last piece
in the world so the dimples are not this style. my 74
came with both types
the front we all have is the dimples and the main is the linear in my car oem

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The original perforation appears to be molded, not cut. Either that or cut with heat to maintain the shape. They are not holes, they are pyramids with visible texture and clear walls.

15422D06-80A8-41A8-9E09-57449503F1D9.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This looks like a great and accurate comparison of the definition and detail between the original and this repro option.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the inverted pyramids are an embossing. i think the new one is very good, but it is NOT a perfect match ... just the best known alternative at this point.