La Jolla Independent: Quite good

bobabob

Reaction score
Even 3,000 miles away, on Memorial Day Sunday, while on a 1,700 mile trip from FL to MI via Washington DC, Chris once again astounded me with his E-9 knowledge. His advice was spot on and he even called back Monday AM, 0630 his time, to confirm results. Now THAT'S service...couldn't have a better six!

Bob LaFerriere

AbnMike

Reaction score
I finally got to La Jolla independent yesterday. Great place. I didn't catch names (I assume one of the guys I was talking with was the owner: older white-haired gentleman), but he saved me a lot of money: I was there to pick up brake pads, washer motor, and inquire about the oil for the diff and the transmission. In the end I just had them replace the diff and tranny oil since they have it on site, but he checked out the pads (I had a squeal) and he mentioned I didn't need pads, just to scuff them up, and gave me insights to the washer motor (i.e., it wasn't the motor), etc.

he could have just sold me the stuff and wished me on my way. Great service!

He also had the little widget that would keep my antenna from moving around and installed that through the underside while the car was on the lift.

dtortoise9

Reaction score
Got my coupe back from La Jolla Independant today and it just drives so much better and has no more oil leaks. Thinking of hanging up my tools and letting Chris and Carl work on my car solely, as it is done right the first time- great job!

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did not like seeing the negative post being the main topic on the forum entry page.

I was dealing with LJI over 20 years ago when I last had coupes.
They were one of our only resources 'back in the day'
Dan K was just getting started then, and CSi was good back then.
Max was very good too.
Marcus G. in Toronto was a Godsend.
Bobby Thrash was such a neat guy. Our 'southern cousin'.
And Ben... What a super guy! Friendly. Knowledgeable. Helpful to a fault.

Fast forward 20+ years>>>
Now we can add Steve at Blunt Tech. Steve-o is awesome. I highly recommend.
I understand we can eliminate CSi for countless reasons.

I totally appreciate what Dan does for us and our cars, and the hard work he puts in. He's always gonna be a solid guy and a great resource.

LJI has taken their business up several levels, but remain as genuine, caring and courteous as they were when it was two guys and a tiny old space.

Can anyone update me on Bobby and Marcus? Hope they are both well.
I heard Bobby's place had a large fire at some point in the last 10-15 years.

How about Max and Paul?
Paul was great back then. Is he still one of our go to guys?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bobby Thrash, one of kind. I dealt with Bobby when he was starting out in his backyard. Still in business after a horrendous fire years ago. A video was on his web site, perhaps still is. A great help to me many times, always too generous in so many ways.

Steve

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Bobby is still around, he has helped me source some parts in the past. Only problem is you have to really get up early on Saturday to make it to the yard so you have time to browse.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Marcus G

Marcus is still doing quite well. He is the go to coupe guy in these parts.

Gary

86M535I

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Years ago I saw Marcus blow by the big Porsches and everything else on the track in his CSL at Pocono. A sight to behold.

dtortoise9

Reaction score
Not being an electrical genius and after blowing out a large percentage of the fuses, I bought my car over to LJI. A short time later it was fixed and ready to go. The bill was very reasonable, paid it and off I went.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
BMW has made it difficult to obtain European market parts for non-European VIN cars. This was a problem as a Hella E-code headlight I had was cracked. Carl was able to work his magic to get me a replacement where other sources could not. Not a cheap part ($170), but he was able to get it and get it within week.

Thanks guys.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was a bit bothered by the "not good" suffix on the last post as it has been there for a while so if you don't mind I wanted to change the view.

Regarding their service, I think it is obvious that Carl and his guys really know their stuff, some people have different expectations and no matter how long you spend explaining things to them they just won't fully understand. There is not one repair shop, restoration facility, doctor, lawyer, charity or otherwise that has not had a complaint even though their work is far superior and more reasonably priced. So, could Carl, Ben, etc work for free and make everyone happy and never err? I don't think that would work either, after all, if they can't eat they can't perform- so... I for one have met two complete strangers in the last 6 weeks who have taken their cars to LJI and are very pleased with the service- Any critical parts that I have ordered have always come in in perfect condition and have been absolutely correct for the application, and since I have been working on more than 1 of these I just make sure they know exactly which car I'm referring to when I order parts. Plus, Carl and Ben let me walk around and make a nuisance of myself for a couple of hours last time I was out there and there are not allot of folks that would allow that :)

Thanks guys

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
+1 They always have what I need in knowledge and parts and quick service even with a recent part at $5.00 each!