La Jolla Lowering Spring Set

schulattwest

Reaction score
Plenty of springs

All--

There has been an overwhelming response to the spring order for the coupes, but don't worry, I'm not just ordering based on how many pre-orders I receive. I'm trying to give you guys all a break by giving you a lower price since you're paying in advance--and I really do appreciate your payments. The deadline is indeed this afternoon at 3 PM for the lower price of $335, after which time it will go up to $400 (shipped to the continental US). The list that Marcos posted of the prices is current and includes most, if not all of the things anyone might need to redo the suspension on their car. Please email me with any questions: [email protected].

Thanks!

Ben Amen
La Jolla Independent BMW

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I put mine in and I love the ride, can anyone who has installed these say if the springs settle lower after time? If so how long did it take and how much did they drop? Ben says they shouldn't but just curious on coupe owners experience here.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put mine in and I love the ride, can anyone who has installed these say if the springs settle lower after time? If so how long did it take and how much did they drop? Ben says they shouldn't but just curious on coupe owners experience here.

I just had mine installed and had the same thought. There was no change in ride height. My mechanic does think the car will settle lower. I also had the La Jolla front camber plates installed and the handling improvement improvement is noticeable. I was able to take my favorite twisty road at considerably faster speeds.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Bilsteins put some upward pressure on the springs vs. the original hydraulic dampers, but I am a little surprised that with such noticbely shorter springs there isn't more lowering right off the bat. I also have the camber plates and can take corners at much faster pace than before. Highly recommended. I hope the springs settle some though.

I just had mine installed and had the same thought. There was no change in ride height. My mechanic does think the car will settle lower. I also had the La Jolla front camber plates installed and the handling improvement improvement is noticeable. I was able to take my favorite twisty road at considerably faster speeds.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just had mine installed and had the same thought. There was no change in ride height.

I have the same issue with my La Jolla springs/HD Bilsteins. I have had them on the car since May/June of this year. The ride height has not dropped appreciably - so don't hold your breath. When I compare my ride height to another local coupe's, with this same spring shock setup (but older), mine is considerably higher. I am wondering if these last few batches of springs are somehow different/defective? Different vendor? Perhaps we can collect some height data to compare?

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have these on my Coupe (complements of Tony / Velocewest who I purchased the car from a while back).

Here is a pic of mine. I don't know the date of the spring installation or their manufacture....

Attachments

• DSC00305e.jpg
    DSC00305e.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 244

mh01919

Reaction score
Lowering Results

I have the same issue with my La Jolla springs/HD Bilsteins. I have had them on the car since May/June of this year. The ride height has not dropped appreciably - so don't hold your breath. When I compare my ride height to another local coupe's, with this same spring shock setup (but older), mine is considerably higher. I am wondering if these last few batches of springs are somehow different/defective? Different vendor? Perhaps we can collect some height data to compare?

Oh no. So none of you are looking like this?
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/shawnalanhanson/DSC_0157.jpg

I found out from 'Shawn' that he installed the springs, Bilsteins, swaybars and camber plates. I was hoping to get a similar stance. Maybe there's different thicknesses in the rubber pads?

Shawn

Reaction score
You should be able to get close to the ride height on my coupe.

I did use NEW rubber in the front below and above the spring.

I also used the thickest rubber block for the rears. I think it is the "3 dot" or ""one dot" whichever is THICKER.

Many coupe owners have used the same parts listed in my previous post and achieved similar results.

Thanks,

Shawn

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed all of these except swaybars and my stance is not lower, although the handling is better. I was hoping for an inch lower. LaJolla says the springs aren't going to settle so???

Oh no. So none of you are looking like this?
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz316/shawnalanhanson/DSC_0157.jpg

I found out from 'Shawn' that he installed the springs, Bilsteins, swaybars and camber plates. I was hoping to get a similar stance. Maybe there's different thicknesses in the rubber pads?

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
carl Nelson springs

CN springs with staggered 16/7 & 16/8's. with sway bars, camber plates, and bilsteins.

Attachments

• DSCF3219.jpg
    DSCF3219.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 217

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder if there is any difference between the old CN BG springs (red) vs the new (black) springs. The set-up on my coupe now is the old CN BG springs with Bilstein HD shocks and fitted with the CN front negative camber strut bearing. For a lower front stance (front end now stands about a half an inch higher than I would like), would omit that if I had to do it all over again.

1941053029_582ee70228_b.jpg

Last edited:

Shawn

Reaction score
Interesting on the ride height issues here.

My springs were red.......

Thanks,

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
It would be unfortunate if the newer black springs were not dropping the cars as the red springs appear to have done.

Can Ben give us some help here ?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I didn't want to spend the four hundred clams for the CN springs, so I cut a coil off a spare set of springs I had lying around. Here are the before and afters. The after shot was taken at a scenic overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to V@V in 2010.

img_0834-1024.jpg

img_0953-1024.jpg