LaJolla rear differential reinforcement

Reviving an older thread. I have this plate and hope to weld it in early in the new year. Any tips from someone who has done it? I'm assuming those holes on the side are for welding spot reinforcements? Does the wing part get bent over once in place or left as is? DId you weld the plate all the way around the perimeter? Did you coat the inside and outside with Zinc weld through primer? I am worried about trapping rust inside, welding while lying under a car, etc. Will be using a Mig welder with gas. Fire extinguisher at my side and escape route rehearsed. Looks like a very well made and thought out part for the money.

The wing does not get bent looking at the factory instructions
973EE12B-73E2-4265-B662-F9031534982E.jpeg

Hey Don, this one looks like it is only half welded in, All the plug welds on the side are not done. When I did these, we would do complete welds along each edge I actually really did not like doing these messy cleaning up what was usually way too much undercoating applied there mostly by the aftermarket guys

BTW Merry Christmas to all

Yup- this was last week at the welders. Now coated again. I’ll ask for more pics.

I don't think I have the flat piece in my box of stuff. I'm guessing these parts were sold separately?

2 separate pieces.
Thanks Don, do you think they have equal importance? Is this additional part designed for high horsepower race type applications, or is the whole area prone to stress failure ?

I see cracking there on a regular basis. Known problem area if BMW made a repair part. My own csi was cracked with a stock engine.

I see cracking there on a regular basis. Known problem area if BMW made a repair part. My own csi was cracked with a stock engine.
Ok, guess I'll get the extra piece then. I do not see it on La Jolla's website. Does someone else make it?

Hi Chris

Curious how this was a Paul Cain design? I was welding these parts onto cars over 40 years ago. at the dealership with parts made by BMW with a BMW part number Exactly the same as what Don has shown ( partly welded ha ha )

Thanks, Rick

My diff mount was also cracked, and with long cracks going into the transmission tunnel under the back-seat aswell.

I'm quoting myself, thought I could add a couple of pictures of the cracks I had in the tunnel.
This is post-welding, welded from both sides, but as you see there was a reasonable amount of cracks!
Anybody else seen something like this?

DSC_0168.jpg DSC_0179.jpg

This is the frankenstein solution we came up with, maybe not what I would have done if it was right now, but it is what it is:

IMG_0462.jpg

no offense Chris, but lets give proper due to credit. I don't think either Paul nor Carl had anything to do with creating these pieces originally . These were a BMW design and repair kit. Maybe they have copied this kit and have reproduced it because it is NLA from BMW as with so many items

Robert, great job, I have seen a couple of E24's that bad but we did not go to the same extent as what you have done. Yours will never crack again !!!

Thanks, Rick

Rick, I’m not aware of their origin but I believe you. I didn’t realize my post would generate such controversy, I corrected my first post.

Last edited:
I have read conflicting information so can anyone comment on if the reinforcement is as necessary on an E3?

The repair parts came out 34 years ago in 1985.
BMW knew about the problem 9 years earlier along with the rust issues in 1976.

Back