LED replacements for Festoon bulbs

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary, ii believe its a different socket. this is what @Mo Brighta does. i can bring one of my taillight bulb holders over and we can test it. we went to dual brake light / running light bulbs on mine so it should be really bright.
Sounds good Scott.
Two of my friends have done the LED in their 2002's. Both have had trouble with them.
They are soooo bright they look like they are stepping on the brake the whole time. Just saying.....

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary, ii believe its a different socket. this is what @Mo Brighta does. i can bring one of my taillight bulb holders over and we can test it. we went to dual brake light / running light bulbs on mine so it should be really bright.
The beauty of the Honda bulbs is that the base is standard and a drop-in replacement. They are 27 W instead of the standard 21 W so the current is about 25-30 higher (~1.9 vs. 1.5 A @14V) so make sure your contacts are very clean. They are very high quality bulbs.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

All in here

Please explain? I have good old stock bulbs in my rebuild. Good quality with SS bases. Not so big on LED's .... yet.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds good Scott.
Two of my friends have done the LED in their 2002's. Both have had trouble with them.
They are soooo bright they look like they are stepping on the brake the whole time. Just saying.....
i do NOT have LED tail lights, just the honda stanley type bulbs

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I worked for many years in the 1970's for GE Supply co. We had a big stock of the GE miniature lamps.( "lamps" is the technical word for light bulbs). I experimented with these bulbs in the round taillights of my '72 2002. I found brighter bulbs that were also higher wattage and hotter than the stock OEM bulbs. They,over time, melted the inside of the plastic taillight lenses. Please don't let that happen to the coupe rear lenses now that LED technology is available for running ,rear,and brake light bulbs.
And for those of you who want to possibly avoid a rear-end collision at a traffic light,install a third brake light in your rear window.
Hal Boyles has made an LED third brake light for 2002 and our Coupes. I bought his prototype and he sent me his revised design that fits the curve of our bottom rear glass.
It is being installed this week at the shop. I had installed his first version months ago and it is very bright and can be seen by the typical SUV and trucks driving around us.
Having a pedestal under the light is a good idea as can be seen in these photos. Note the wire goes through a drilled hole in the back deck and spliced into a brake light circuit. The wood base will be covered in matching black vinyl. The edge of the 3D printed light housing has double-sided tape fixed to the rear glass. Hal's email [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG_1798(1).jpg
    IMG_1798(1).jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1799(1).jpg
    IMG_1799(1).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1824(1).jpg
    IMG_1824(1).jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 91

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only problem with Hal’s lamp is the upper mount to the glass was with sticky tape, that won’t work. I bought for the 2002 and didn’t install.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first light I had for the coupe was mounted to the glass with the 3M double-sided tape. The curve didn't match the glass and it fell off a few times. His new light housing is a better fit and the pedestal will keep it in place. I also bought the upper light for my 2002,but have not mounted it. Hal said the tape holds the light to the glass in the 2002 application.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I worked for many years in the 1970's for GE Supply co. We had a big stock of the GE miniature lamps.( "lamps" is the technical word for light bulbs). I experimented with these bulbs in the round taillights of my '72 2002. I found brighter bulbs that were also higher wattage and hotter than the stock OEM bulbs. They,over time, melted the inside of the plastic taillight lenses. Please don't let that happen to the coupe rear lenses now that LED technology is available for running ,rear,and brake light bulbs.
And for those of you who want to possibly avoid a rear-end collision at a traffic light,install a third brake light in your rear window.
Hal Boyles has made an LED third brake light for 2002 and our Coupes. I bought his prototype and he sent me his revised design that fits the curve of our bottom rear glass.
It is being installed this week at the shop. I had installed his first version months ago and it is very bright and can be seen by the typical SUV and trucks driving around us.
Having a pedestal under the light is a good idea as can be seen in these photos. Note the wire goes through a drilled hole in the back deck and spliced into a brake light circuit. The wood base will be covered in matching black vinyl. The edge of the 3D printed light housing has double-sided tape fixed to the rear glass. Hal's email [email protected]
i'm glad i bought the LED third brakelights that @adawil2002 made a few years back. no longer in production because the source of the LED strips dried up. mounts up high and is barely visible when not in use

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i'm glad i bought the LED third brakelights that @adawil2002 made a few years back. no longer in production because the source of the LED strips dried up. mounts up high and is barely visible when not in use

Made ~300 of those LED 3rd brake lights for Coupes & 2002s. I use incandescent bulbs for everything else.

I had dim tail lights from filthy lenses & dull reflectors. I cleaned everything & found the reflectors were well beyond polishing, the silver plating was gone. I used real aluminum foil tape, which can be polished to restore them. I've seen others paint them with Krylon or Rustoleum Chrome. (tape doesn't need to dry)

IMG_5474.JPG
3rd Brake Light 01.JPG
3rd Brake Light 02.JPG
3rd Brake Light 03.JPG
Driver side Before.jpg
Driver side After.jpg
Driver side.jpg
Pass side Before.jpg
Pass side After.jpg
Pass side.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Made ~300 of those LED 3rd brake lights for Coupes & 2002s. I use incandescent bulbs for everything else.

I had dim tail lights from filthy lenses & dull reflectors. I cleaned everything & found the reflectors were well beyond polishing, the silver plating was gone. I used real aluminum foil tape, which can be polished to restore them. I've seen others paint them with Krylon or Rustoleum Chrome. (tape doesn't need to dry)

View attachment 101551View attachment 101552

I really like the idea of putting the LED strip at the top of the back window. It's almost invisible when off and is easier to see by the second car behind you when lit. I'm pondering putting in a newer type of LED strip that has orange on either end so the turn signals can be up in the back window as well. I've been rear ended waiting to turn left and I certainly don't want that to happen in my coupe.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have one of Andrew's LED strips, I stuffed it up into the headliner behind the rear window and hard wired it to the brake light circuit, invisible until it goes on.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t have a gap between the headliner and the roof. The white headliner fabric is tucked under the inside edge of the rear window gasket. Perhaps this is not stock. An alternate is to mill a 0.125” wide by 0.125” deep slot in a 1/4” x1/4” strip of black ABS, and glue in a length of narrow LED strip light (300 lumens per foot). The abs ‘holder’ would need to be glued to the window with some exterior grade silicon caulk or maybe superglue?

The abs strip should be more than flexible enough to follow the contour of the top of the window. I could go the full width for 900 lumens of stop light!

Ultra narrow LED strip light, 12v

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t have a gap between the headliner and the roof. The white headliner fabric is tucked under the inside edge of the rear window gasket. Perhaps this is not stock. An alternate is to mill a 0.125” wide by 0.125” deep slot in a 1/4” x1/4” strip of black ABS, and glue in a length of narrow LED strip light (300 lumens per foot). The abs ‘holder’ would need to be glued to the window with some exterior grade silicon caulk or maybe superglue?

The abs strip should be more than flexible enough to follow the contour of the top of the window. I could go the full width for 900 lumens of stop light!

Ultra narrow LED strip light, 12v
You must have a sunroof.