Legends of the Autobahn

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
August 15th is coming up soon, early online registration ends on July 27th. We have a new venue this year, right next to Laguna Seca so access will be much easier unlike Carmel Valley and Hwy 1. I know Eddie and Wayne would appreciate it if you are planning to have your car judged or parked in the corral to register soon. Here is the link:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2014-bmw-cca-monterey-weekend-area-914874#.U7ySjmK9KSN

They have specifically asked for more coupes, last year there were a dozen or more so don't delay. I am driving up on Wed in the NK and hope to see some of you on the road as well. Cheers.

shanon

Reaction score
Curious, why the venue change?

stars may be lining up.... where's the peanut gallery for odds & sods gonna be ;-)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a much better venue, and easier access/egress than Carmel Valley, especially after the show. And more room too, and since Concorso moved black to Blackhorse and will now hold their event on Saturday their should be even less traffic on 68.

Also, the Porsche guys decided to hold their own event last December and booked the Carmel venue out from under the BMWCCA and MBCA. The CCA found out when the PCA released an online announcement, pretty tacky.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Advance Planning

When should we book reservations for Legends in 2016?
How far in advance? I know rooms fill quickly

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most hotels and such won't book more than a year in advance. But 2016 is going to be an awesome year, the 100th anniversary of BMW.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am currently planning on driving down for this event (2014) via Santa Barbara. Will bring the coupe. Chris, are you expecting a good coupe turnout?

Stan 2016 - would you bring your coupe?

jmackro

Reaction score
When should we book reservations for Legends in 2016? How far in advance? I know rooms fill quickly

Stan:

Every hotel has its own policy. Some give this year's guests preference for booking for next year - when you check out in 201X you reserve for 201X+1.

Others begin accepting reservations at 12:00:00 on January 1st, and are miraculously filled by 12:00:01. The place I stay does the same thing, but beginning at 12:00:00 on March 1st. And at that place, it helps to physically be there in the lobby!

The long and short of it is to get on the phone, and be prepared to make a LOT of calls and face a LOT of rejection.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am currently planning on driving down for this event (2014) via Santa Barbara. Will bring the coupe. Chris, are you expecting a good coupe?

Sven,

Bring the coupe, only three registered so far so hoping more will join. I am bringing the NK this year. We also need 2002s! I will drive up on Wed as I volunteer for the Pebble Tour on Thu as well as on Sunday at the Concours.

Chris

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coupe Heaven

I am currently planning on driving down for this event (2014) via Santa Barbara. Will bring the coupe. Chris, are you expecting a good coupe turnout?

Stan 2016 - would you bring your coupe?
YES!

The plan now is for me, Vbigdog (Tom), TodB, and possibly others to drive out and transport the cars back east. If we can generate enough interest, we would create routes to allow others starting further south (did you hear that Scott and Gary!) to hook up with us at some point.

I am open to camping, I own a huge tent. But something more civilized would be welcome.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would love to do this. Catch up to the convoy somewhere and head West with you all.

YES!

The plan now is for me, Vbigdog (Tom), TodB, and possibly others to drive out and transport the cars back east. If we can generate enough interest, we would create routes to allow others starting further south (did you hear that Scott and Gary!) to hook up with us at some point.

I am open to camping, I own a huge tent. But something more civilized would be welcome.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Camping in August at Laguna Seca would be hot, dusty, dry and pretty miserable. Rooms in Salinas are cheaper and just as close, start booking in September of 2015, plenty of time, many hotels require you to wait until January 2016 but rooms will be available.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, those of us not making the pilgrimage to CA this year would love all y'all to post tons of pictures so we can vicariously enjoy the experience.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spent the day at the Lodge today- the eye candy was wonderful.
FYI- Salinas is 290.00 and Gilroy 239.00
Nothing compared to the 38 mill + for the 250 GTO :]

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI- I'm planning on driving my Coupe or the M5 to the 2016 100th Year Anniversary for BMW.
Coupe should be painted and done by then. I know never done.

I have a son & daughter in law that live in LA so have a point to stop.
I also have cousins in Colorado.

Gary

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Event photos

Here are a few photos of today's show. Great weather (after the morning mist finally burned off). I think there were about 13/14 coupes in attendance. We had a nice prominent ridge to park on and they put the judged and displayed coupes together - which always makes for a more impressive showing.

Thanks to Chris M, and other volunteers, who help move this event along.

Attachments

• Legends1.jpg
    Legends1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Legends2.jpg
    Legends2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Legends3.jpg
    Legends3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 219
  • Legends4.jpg
    Legends4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 310
  • Legends5.jpg
    Legends5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 188

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of today's show. Great weather (after the morning mist finally burned off). I think there were about 13/14 coupes in attendance. We had a nice prominent ridge to park on and they put the judged and displayed coupes together - which always makes for a more impressive showing.

Thanks to Chris M, and other volunteers, who help move this event along.

Thanks Sven,

What is the car that has headlights like a Corvair?
Did Chris win anything with the Neu Klass? Not sure I spelled that right?

jmackro

Reaction score
What is the car that has headlights like a Corvair?

I'm gonna take a wild guess, and say it's an NSU Prinz 1000.

According to Wikipedia, it was NSU that stole from GM: "One of the revelations of the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 1961, the Prinz 4 replaced the original Prinz. Its new body closely resembled the then fashionable Chevrolet Corvair, but was of course much smaller." See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Prinz

attachment.php

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Correct, an Audi NSU. I think Chris's NK was 2nd or 3rd.