Legends of the Autobahn

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Correct, an Audi NSU. I think Chris's NK was 2nd or 3rd.

Thank you Sven.

I can read the NSU etc. but did not know it was part of the Audi family.
Never seen or heard of this car.

When I was on top of a mountain in Colorado this summer in my coupe a guy came up to me and told me this story about how BMW stole lines from the Corvair. I bit my tongue and assured him that was not the case.
He said he read it in a magazine.
Maybe this car is what he was thinking about and got the manufacturers mixed up? He was a Corvair enthusiast of course and owned a couple.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Best of Marque for BMW was Rey Rivera's 700RS, vin 001, the BMW museum has vin 002 of only two ever built! It was driven by Hans Stuck and was primarily a hill climb car. The NK took third in Super Clean which is exterior, interior and trunk but my son Collin and wife Shawn did all the cleaning before the judging took place. Collin has an associate CCA membership, he was thrilled as we didn't think we stood a chance against the other six cars. I can post some photos when I return on Monday night, we are driving down Hwy 1 Monday morning with Mike Pelly and Gary Collins. What a great venue and the winners got to drive up to get their awards just like Pebble.

jmackro

Reaction score
When I was on top of a mountain in Colorado this summer in my coupe a guy came up to me and told me this story about how BMW stole lines from the Corvair. I bit my tongue and assured him that was not the case.

On this topic, check out what I wrote a couple months ago in post #15 of the thread at: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9017&highlight=corvair&page=2

I was accusing GM of stealing from BMW in that discussion, so there's your come-back if you run into another Corvair whacko.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, is this your car and son in one of the slides on Autweek:

http://autoweek.com/article/pebble-beach-concours/legends-autobahn-makes-exit-monterey

DSC00264.jpg

Best of Marque for BMW was Rey Rivera's 700RS, vin 001, the BMW museum has vin 002 of only two ever built! It was driven by Hans Stuck and was primarily a hill climb car. The NK took third in Super Clean which is exterior, interior and trunk but my son Collin and wife Shawn did all the cleaning before the judging took place. Collin has an associate CCA membership, he was thrilled as we didn't think we stood a chance against the other six cars. I can post some photos when I return on Monday night, we are driving down Hwy 1 Monday morning with Mike Pelly and Gary Collins. What a great venue and the winners got to drive up to get their awards just like Pebble.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow! Yes that's Collin. There was another NK 2000 there that was bid up on eBay this spring to $25.5K and didn't meet reserve.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are a few photos of today's show. Great weather (after the morning mist finally burned off). I think there were about 13/14 coupes in attendance. We had a nice prominent ridge to park on and they put the judged and displayed coupes together - which always makes for a more impressive showing.

Thanks to Chris M, and other volunteers, who help move this event along.

Sven, thanks for the pix. Sorry I couldn't be there. Was there last year, and it am planning to go in 2015.

Chris, your NK was my favorite car there last year. The principal of my high school drove a rusty one every day. It was Sahara. It was truly an exotic in central Virginia, home of the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Sven, thanks again for checking out that Alfa for me in Seattle. Ended up with a Duetto, which is proving to be fun, although I blew up the motor! So, off the road for a bit.

Scott

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On this topic, check out what I wrote a couple months ago in post #15 of the thread at: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9017&highlight=corvair&page=2

I was accusing GM of stealing from BMW in that discussion, so there's your come-back if you run into another Corvair whacko.

:)
Good for you.
After I left the guy I thought of more reasons this didn't happen.

Thanks guys for the photos from Legends and Festorics. Missed it this year but definitely in 2016. Location looked nice.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
2016 all in? Calling east coasters...

Wow, looks like I missed a great event and I do miss my E9 friends from SoCal. If BMW is the honored marque in 2016 at Monterey Rolex Reunion, I might just give serious thought to trucking my car back here to show and drive around at the various events, especially Legends. I'd go see SFdon's new shop too and swap stories about our early days of trying to make Motronic work as it was supposed to with a modified motor, or the front strut that took almost as much time to correct as the motor rebuild!

The Vintage at NC is a great event but Monterey is different league in my view, having been there so many times.

Stan, Pete, XAtlas or Rob Siegel, what do you guys think? Too long to caravan and rock chip heaven. If I could get enough time off, I'd join the west coasters in Orange County and drive up with them. Brings back memories of Murray Fowler.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Awesome shots Chris. Looks like Colin is developing quite an eye...

By the way, somehow it doesn't seem that anyone missed the Porsche folks...

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, looks like I missed a great event and I do miss my E9 friends from SoCal. If BMW is the honored marque in 2016 at Monterey Rolex Reunion, I might just give serious thought to trucking my car back here to show and drive around at the various events, especially Legends. I'd go see SFdon's new shop too and swap stories about our early days of trying to make Motronic work as it was supposed to with a modified motor, or the front strut that took almost as much time to correct as the motor rebuild!

The Vintage at NC is a great event but Monterey is different league in my view, having been there so many times.

Stan, Pete, XAtlas or Rob Siegel, what do you guys think? Too long to caravan and rock chip heaven. If I could get enough time off, I'd join the west coasters in Orange County and drive up with them. Brings back memories of Murray Fowler.

Several of us want to caravan out and ship the cars back. It would be EPIC!!

duane_sword

Reaction score
planning the cross-country coupe cruise of 2016

If BMW is the honored marque in 2016 at Monterey Rolex Reunion, I might just give serious thought to trucking my car back here to show and drive around at the various events

Yes there is a healthy number of us Nor'east E9 folk that are keen to drive out to Monterey in 2016 (all 3,200 miles from Boston MA to Monterey CA) for the event and then have our coupes shipped back home after what I am sue would be an epic time!...

This will be the topic of much conversation over Labor Day weekend when a bunch of us are getting together for our annual pilgrimage to Lime Rock Vintage Racing Festival... a bunch of us are camping for a few nights and will have many topics to ponder over an ale or four.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Yes there is a healthy number of us Nor'east E9 folk that are keen to drive out to Monterey in 2016 (all 3,200 miles from Boston MA to Monterey CA) for the event and then have our coupes shipped back home after what I am sue would be an epic time!...

This will be the topic of much conversation over Labor Day weekend when a bunch of us are getting together for our annual pilgrimage to Lime Rock Vintage Racing Festival... a bunch of us are camping for a few nights and will have many topics to ponder over an ale or four.

Well have a beer or two for me!! Stan, Tom, Andrew, me and a few others at Saratoga all seemed to think that the Nor 'e9's would make a worthwhile statement. The Targa California (900 miles over 2 1/2 days) rally opened my eyes to an entirely new driving experience that seemed to be a template for how we could make a cross country trek .... fun.

Rooms will be the first issue. Solutions are beginning to emerge already...

Enjoy Limerock folks...