LHD CSL in OZ

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Has this been verified by BMW? I read a lot of conflicting info on the CSL sunroofs but I was wondering has any of it been verified by BMW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When contacting BMW Classic some years ago, they could not verify sunroof on CSL. Unfortunately, all building sheets, with the specific details for each CSL, were unfortunately thrown away during the 80’s.

BMW Classic could neither exclude that some CSLs were special order with sunroof nor exclude cars with non official options.

Furthermore, BMW Classic can also not verify that some CSLs were ordered from factory with CSi seats or special sized front wings, special wheels and stripes.

Today we know that some CSLs were leaving the factory with the above mention special orders - non official options - (verified by first owners).

The subject with the rare ”special order CSLs” is very interesting. Every year some new facts are discovered.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Boobouna

Reaction score
When contacting BMW Classic some years ago, they could not verify sunroof on CSL. However, all building sheets, with the details for the CSLs, were unfortunately thrown away long time ago.

BMW Classic could neither exclude that some CSLs were special order with sunroof nor other non official options.

Furthermore, BMW Classic can also not verify that some CSLs were ordered from factory with CSi seats or special sized front wings, special wheels and stripes.

Today we know that some CSLs were leaving the factory with the above mention special orders - non official options - (verified by first owners).

To be continued.

Cheers
Henric

Unfortunately BMW classic can’t tell us many things which is quite poor on their behalf. They want us to buy their cars but their record keeping is disgraceful.

roundel

Reaction score
Unfortunately BMW classic can’t tell us many things which is quite poor on their behalf. They want us to buy their cars but their record keeping is disgraceful.

As I understand it the reason BMW lost so much information was that they were obliged to keep all company records for 25 years. So every year a shredding truck arrived to do the deed on a years worth of documents. When the Archives dept realised they were losing important information / documents etc...they tried to do something about it. But due to lack of interest from above they could only employ a few students to sift through the documents as they went into the shredder. Fortunately they found some very important documents relating to their racing activities, but we can imagine how many were lost.....can`t imagine that happening at Porsche.....

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
....or Mercedes . Not sure much has changed given the Classic "support ".Imagine life without Walloth's et al ...we'd be banging out parts in the back shed and relying even more on dodgy eBay offerings .Can't even buy a panel such as a fender for their Motorsport "marque" . Pathetic .

coupeking

Reaction score
I have worked on and have had dealings with this car for over 20 years 2275157. I believe the story with the roof was that the car was damaged on the roof and a used replacement sunroof clip was used for the repairs. It was not a factory ordered job. I confirmed that with Carl at La Jolla at the time and he relayed that info to me.
To my knowledge the only CSL with factory sunroof was a custom built factory job for Bob Lutz when he was head honcho at BMW.
FWIW...
Peter
coupeking

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have worked on and have had dealings with this car for over 20 years 2275157. I believe the story with the roof was that the car was damaged on the roof and a used replacement sunroof clip was used for the repairs. It was not a factory ordered job. I confirmed that with Carl at La Jolla at the time and he relayed that info to me.
To my knowledge the only CSL with factory sunroof was a custom built factory job for Bob Lutz when he was head honcho at BMW.
FWIW...
Peter
coupeking

Thanks, that anawers the question about the mystery sunroof.

What I still don’t get is why the auction price guide is so low on this CSL- just US$60-80k? I have seen RHD rust bucket project cars in UK go for more than this.

Sure engine not origional but that shouldnt reduce price so much...

For compariaon a non matching CSL (Polaris) sold late last year in Aus went for about double this price albeit RHD.

This Golf CSL could be a bargain for someone.

coupeking

Reaction score
When I knew this car many years and at least 3 owners ago, some misguided restorer had filled the upper fender A-pillar box structures with foam, trying to prevent rust, but actually speeding it along, leading to a very unstable rust area above the gloveboxes. Repair would have necessitated a full fender-off-motor out-dashboard out-parts/donor car availability restoration. The car otherwise looked good and ran well, and the then-owner elected to sell the car to a restorer who understood the problems and bought the car at a low price with repair in mind. Maybe bit off more than he could swallow...
Peter
coupeking

classicman

Reaction score
Thanks, that anawers the question about the mystery sunroof.

What I still don’t get is why the auction price guide is so low on this CSL- just US$60-80k? I have seen RHD rust bucket project cars in UK go for more than this.

Sure engine not origional but that shouldnt reduce price so much...

For compariaon a non matching CSL (Polaris) sold late last year in Aus went for about double this price albeit RHD.

This Golf CSL could be a bargain for someone.
Malcolm, LHD cars don' sell well in Aus. Shannons also have realistic (read lower) price guides to entice bidders. A lot of their cars sell for much higher than the price guide.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
FWIW...
Peter
coupeking
Thanks Peter for the clarifications about -157. By chance do you remember if this car has a genuine black CSL roof headliner and a roof mounted interior light?

FYI, the other Golf (close in VIN), with a potential factory sunroof, is equipped with a genuine black CSL roof headliner and no (roof mounted) interior light at all. Perhaps because it’s one of the few without city-pack.

Henric