Looking for a Bat

loach

Reaction score
I thought you asked for the link.It is Yannick's Old Bat that just sold in France.

Thanks for the link all the same. Yannick had a homepage dedicated to his ex-Stuck CSL when he owned it, with details of the car's history and some general CSL info. That page seems to be gone now. Again - thanks for the link regardless. :)

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Dutch Taiga Bat serie 2

loach,

You are talking about a Dutch Taiga Serie 2 Bat (4355xxx). I might have some info if you could tell me which VIN the car has.

As far as I know, there is a low mileage Taiga with A/C for sale in the Netherlands. According to my info there were only four Bats series 2 in Taiga from factory. However in my archive, I have info about five ones, so one might have been reprayed in the past.

Pls feel free to PM me if you do prefer.

Cheers

Tyler

Reaction score
Loach - Perhaps you seen this, but the October Bonhams auction in Dubai will have what could be an excellent Bat (#46) being sold out of the BMW factory collection. Estimate is EUR 130-170k.

Interestingly, the other museum car being sold is an M1, which has the same price estimate.

loach

Reaction score
Interesting. I must call Andreas down there. I had a quick spin a while ago in a Bat at the Historic Collection - a white one. It was pretty flawless to be fair (it was an S1 Bat if I recall correctly), but I'm not quite ready to splash out 130-170k EUR plus fees just now. On the M1, they had a white one in the cellar and a blue one upstairs (on top of the one in the museum and the race-cars). I wonder which one they're putting up for sale?

Do Bonhams have the cars listed somewhere yet?

Found the listing on the Bonhams site - the 130-170k are in $ which is a bit better. I've emailed the boys so may hear back later this week. Thanks for the heads-up, Tyler. That white M1, if it is the one from the cellar, is a car with 54 or so thousand kilometers, but it's not a bad example in some important respects - not least in terms of the chassis structure and lack of warping around the door panels. I'd be interested in that at around $130,000, though I'm going to share the car with my Dad this time around, and don't think he'd get in or out of an M1. It's tight and offset in there if you're not supple IMO.

Last edited:

mpgandco

Reaction score
Anyone know the Vin# on this Bat?Anyone have any other pictures of it?"The 3.0 CSL is expected to fetch €130,000-€170,000."This info came from a link I found.

loach

Reaction score
loach -
Mario at VSR has an M1 (white/black) listed on his site, no price given:
http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=bmw-m1

What an absolutely rubbish website that is. Tiny pictures, scattered to the four winds organisation, no clear email address that I can find, and a number that answers 'trade secrets' when I try it from Ireland.

It could be that I'm just stupid, or that this guy is working out of his bedrrom or something, but does anyone have a means to reach tihs guy?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What an absolutely rubbish website that is. Tiny pictures, scattered to the four winds organisation, no clear email address that I can find, and a number that answers 'trade secrets' when I try it from Ireland.

It could be that I'm just stupid, or that this guy is working out of his bedrrom or something, but does anyone have a means to reach tihs guy?

Ouch.

The pictures are thumbnails but they enlarge to a decent size if you click on them.
Phone works fine from California.

Don't know about Ireland, but here adjectives are used after exhausting the benefit of the doubt.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
strong words...

Mario is a great guy and a straight shooter. Why don't you just give him a call?

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
we don't need to start a flame-war: the phone number is correct IF dialed correctly.
And, as others have stated, Mario is highly regarded in the coupe community.

loach

Reaction score
Tried calling him a couple of times and get through to the wrong number each time. I'm sure he's a great guy and well regarded, but it looks like he does his business by word of mouth. I've a line on an M1 in the UK, and have a Bat 2 to view. If anyone is speaking to Mario, he might consider dropping me a line here or to one of you guys to see if it's worth taking things further on his M1. If he's realistic, it wouldn't be a wasted effort as I am in the market.

I'm babysitting my sister's 2 kids today, one of them is autistic, so my nerves are frayed.

At least a couple of lurkers were prompted to post in the thread, though, so it's not all bad.

loach

Reaction score
Got through and left a message. No idea what was happening earlier - there must have been wires crossed or my mobile provider was having a worse day than me, but I've left my details so hopefully Mario will get back to me. The kids have gone and I've taken enough codeine to kill an elephant so am in better form now.

If I'm looking at M1s do you guys want photos or is this a CS only site? I'll have CSL pics as well soon enough.

What do you guys reckon in terms of value? All things being equal, is a CSL Bat (one of the 167) a better bet than an M1? To drive, they're both very different, but are both as good as eachother in different ways. An M1 has more of a sense of occasion to it, is arguably more exciting and has a handling:comfort balance pretty unbeatable this side of a Porsche 993. A CSL has much more accessible performance and is very docile on the limit, meaning you can drive it harder more of the time. Plus, it has a boot (trunk) and is usable to go places. Ideally, I'll have to have both, but am stretching slightly as it is. Which is the one to go for now before the other moves out of reach price-wise?

loach

Reaction score
Got through to discuss that M1. It sounds nice, though it probably needs substantial detailing, and paperwork pre-1987 is an issue that Mario is going to try and resolve. At the moment, it appears to have none. The price is pretty bullish, though. By bullish, I mean that it was a good $20k more than I expected for an east-coast car with this mileage and with less than crystal clear provenance.

I'm not sure what the policy here is regarding open discussion, so I've been relatively vague. I'm usually not very cagey when it comes to discussing money - I don't see the point. We all want to know what stuff costs and what it sells for because cars represent both a passion and a significant investment for most of us. As I mentioned, I've a lead on an M1 in the UK with a little more mileage, but in good condition with a full history from new and $40-50,000 less than this one.

Wish me luck. :)

PS - if the M1 isn't up to snuff, I've made arrangements to view a CSL that I've seen before. It's pretty much cut down to a shortlist of one car now.

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
car search

Interesting thread.

Having worked with Mario for 10+ years, I can attest to the fact that he is honest and genuine and a member of good coupe standing amongst many of us. It sounds like phone lines got crossed up or perhaps you misdialed. No need to sully his name in your telecom frustration :-D You will not get any sympathy here if you do.

Good luck with your search.

loach

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Having worked with Mario for 10+ years, I can attest to the fact that he is honest and genuine and a member of good coupe standing amongst many of us. It sounds like phone lines got crossed up or perhaps you misdialed. No need to sully his name in your telecom frustration :-D You will not get any sympathy here if you do.

Good luck with your search.

C'mon...I didn't sully his name and there seems to be a panic here to score points in his defence. I said that his website was terrible, and with no email address readily in evidence on the site, and with its fragmented, bitsa nature, I'd stand by that statement. The photos of the cars for sale aren't great either - but I don't see how any of this constitutes a direct attack on Mario. Call it constructive criticism. For all the knowledge that I suspect lies within these virtual walls, a genuine plea for feedback on CSL Bats yielded 3 or 4 hardy souls willing to venture an opinion or a helping hand (and a hearty thanks to them :)). One criticism of a dealer's website, and everyone has something to contribute.

I did get through to Mario finally, and he seemed like a nice guy, so no harm done. I'm not sure what happened earlier, but we had storms moving in from the SW here so perhaps there was a telecom foul-up.

TodB

Reaction score
Everyone's a critic (expert?) :-D. Glad the two of you spoke. Mario's a good resource.

As I said, good luck with your search. I am sure there are many folks here who would like to hear the results on what you eventually find if you care to share.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glad you got through. Either CSL or M1 would be a great and exclusive car to own. I found the board useful for general valuation discussions. Specific car price threads don't always end well. Wish you good luck with the car and the babysitting, with such a generous budget babysitting should not be a problem either.

Gerrit

Reaction score
Interesting

"Photos were floating around in here of a Fjord blue car that was photographed at a show in Germany, and I believe this might be available though I'm not totally sold on Fjord Blue for a Batmobile. It's kinda girly. Via a trader, the asking price is in the region of 120k EUR. It may be less if I could find the seller directly."

Do I understand here that someone is trying to sell my car without me knowing about it?

Interesting...

Gerrit

Essen show 2010 #4355033

loach

Reaction score
"Photos were floating around in here of a Fjord blue car that was photographed at a show in Germany, and I believe this might be available though I'm not totally sold on Fjord Blue for a Batmobile. It's kinda girly. Via a trader, the asking price is in the region of 120k EUR. It may be less if I could find the seller directly."

Do I understand here that someone is trying to sell my car without me knowing about it?

Interesting...

Gerrit

Essen show 2010 #4355033

You understand correctly, I'd say. Interesting indeed.