Looks like a nice one

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm...I haven’t figured out what the secret sauce is for e9 auctions (BAT or ebay).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
We need a New Year’s Resolution on our Forum, albeit a bit early. Let’s stop saying, “that coupe isn’t worth e.g. $40/50/60K.” Private sales happen all the time with nice, solid driver level coupes like this one. The market speaks again, fortunately in a public arena.

I’m on board. However, nobody said that about this car.

Well...when we see nice coupes on here NOT selling for $50-60k, but this BAT selling for $72, makes you wonder what is buyers really looking for.

Those cars didn’t have the aforementioned secret sauce. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that database published anywhere on the forum? It is probably difficult to assess condition in a spreadsheet. But trends over time would be evident. Thanks in advance.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well...when we see nice coupes on here NOT selling for $50-60k, but this BAT selling for $72, makes you wonder what is buyers really looking for.

I mean, for a few dollars more:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/bmw/3.0csl/2002084.html
i don't really care for this tribute car ... i do like how original this blue one was kept for the most part. this one had a lot going for it ... a nice straight body, good paint, well photographed (i think this is a major key).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is that database published anywhere on the forum? It is probably difficult to assess condition in a spreadsheet. But trends over time would be evident. Thanks in advance.

I use the Hagerty 1-5 scale and only collect published sales from auctions and eBay or private sales that I am aware of. So yes, the trend is important. And most coupes for sale are Cat 4 or 5, I’m fairly critical but I think honest. It isn’t published as it has VINs and might indicate a prior owner.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a valuable resource. I used to do something similar for 2002s, but abandoned it when I realized I really wanted to focus on the e9.

Curious what category you rated this $70k car.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this opens up the discussion on the condition for the majority of our own coupes. my guess is that there are very few condition 1 coupes herein. some condition 2, a lot of condition 3 + 4 ... and some that would be between 2 + 3.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The local vintage car enthusiasts in my neck of the woods formed a continuing adult education collector car class at a local high school several years ago. I've been attending the Spring and Fall semesters from just about the beginning and one of the recurring highlights has been a guest speaker from Hagerty. Well, he's scheduled for this Thursday's class so I'm looking forward to his thoughts on this recent auction and the market value of e9s in general.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this opens up the discussion on the condition for the majority of our own coupes. my guess is that there are very few condition 1 coupes herein. some condition 2, a lot of condition 3 + 4 ... and some that would be between 2 + 3.

I agree, very, very few #1 coupes