(MAJOR UPDATE)A most interesting trade offer, a classic Volvo for a daily!

Trade my Camry for the volvo?

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok here is my take.

1.) How can you be so young and so bad at cell phone pictures? :D

2.) The car has a 10' paint job with overspray everywhere.

3.) Visible cracking bondo combined with cheap respray tells me that there is more body panel rust than what is currently visble

4.) It looks like both the differential pinion seal and cover seal is leaking

5.) The underbody rust doesn't look terrible, but it's there.

6.) I think it would be foolish to daily this car. Acknowledging the fact that you are very new to DIY car maintenance and don't have much of a liquid budget (which I think think some of the proponents overlooked)/.

My response hasn't changed with rusty pictures. Unless this is a labor of love and a keeper-car I wouldn't touch it. It is by no means a "deal" for an 1800. You can get these for sub $14k on ebay all day long. If you are serious about getting this car, get one out of the rust belt.

Haseeb

Reaction score
Ok here is my take.

1.) How can you be so young and so bad at cell phone pictures? :D

2.) The car has a 10' paint job with overspray everywhere.

3.) Visible cracking bondo combined with cheap respray tells me that there is more body panel rust than what is currently visble

4.) It looks like both the differential pinion seal and cover seal is leaking

5.) The underbody rust doesn't look terrible, but it's there.

6.) I think it would be foolish to daily this car. Acknowledging the fact that you are very new to DIY car maintenance and don't have much of a liquid budget (which I think think some of the proponents overlooked)/.

My response hasn't changed with rusty pictures. Unless this is a labor of love and a keeper-car I wouldn't touch it. It is by no means a "deal" for an 1800. You can get these for sub $14k on ebay all day long. If you are serious about getting this car, get one out of the rust belt.
That seems... pretty solid

I think you're right about this one (as sad as it makes me:()
Also, to answer your first question, ever since I joined forum took over my life I aged roughly 30 years (my mom can verify). I hate seeing kids on my lawn, I take shit pictures , and I don't even text people anymore. I had my millennial card revoked by the government the other day :eek:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That seems... pretty solid

Also, to answer your first question, ever since I joined forum took over my life I aged roughly 30 years (my mom can verify). I hate seeing kids on my lawn, I take shit pictures , and I don't even text people anymore. I had my millennial card revoked by the government the other day :eek:

You graduated! Be sure to turn on your cell phone ringer also.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Getting this far into possibly buying a classic and backing out is something every car enthusiast should go through. It should help you be more reasonable in the future and not be "blinded" by the excitement.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will never again in this lifetime buy a rusty car. Rust free metal is everything. I admire the Brits for never giving up, but my first rusted out car was a 67 Biscayne my Brother gave me. My second was a 71 Datsun 240Z ....rusted out in 1978 when I bought it and told my Brother, look no rust...just new and pure black undercoat! Followed by a rusty 65 Corvair, a rusty 74 Valiant, a very rusty 72 Bavaria, then a Rusty 78 ' Grand Prix, then finally an unrusted 72 Bavaria. Run away from this Volvo and Kiss the Camry.

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will never again in this lifetime buy a rusty car. Rust free metal is everything. I admire the Brits for never giving up, but my first rusted out car was a 67 Biscayne my Brother gave me. My second was a 71 Datsun 240Z ....rusted out in 1978 when I bought it and told my Brother, look no rust...just new and pure black undercoat! Followed by a rusty 65 Corvair, a rusty 74 Valiant, a very rusty 72 Bavaria, then a Rusty 78 ' Grand Prix, then finally an unrusted 72 Bavaria. Run away from this Volvo and Kiss the Camry.

We don't have a choice in the matter, it's either learn how to use a welder, or buy a Camry.

Props to the OP for walking away, the prospect of a new old car is always exciting and 99% of the time that can get the better of you and blind you to obvious issues. Take a step back, have a think and then proceed.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, how shall I put this ? hmmm how about "forgetaboutit"! You would regret this swap within minutes. Acquiring this project would complicate your life. It was fun to dream, but look what's happening to you...it is called maturity! Good signs, it will serve you well. ;) Be patient, we all learn this the hard way, but the most excellent of all car deals will present itself eventually, and you can treat this episode as a part of your journey along the path to finding the right car. Keep us posted! Good luck Haseeb. Mike

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, how shall I put this ? hmmm how about "forgetaboutit"! You would regret this swap within minutes. Acquiring this project would complicate your life. It was fun to dream, but look what's happening to you...it is called maturity! Good signs, it will serve you well. ;) Be patient, we all learn this the hard way, but the most excellent of all car deals will present itself eventually, and you can treat this episode as a part of your journey along the path to finding the right car. Keep us posted! Good luck Haseeb. Mike
Don't!!! Reread all the previous posts. There you have the wisdom and experience of guys who have walked away AND the regret and sorrow of guys(like me) who didn't and regret it. Like you will.

Steve