Manual steering boxes (CSL)

pmansson

Reaction score
I have one ending in 108, and another one ending in 153.
to do with the ratio, but can´t remember which was which.
the E3 also came with a manual box, as an option.
Batmobiles might have another ratio...?
thanks,
peder

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
108 is the CSL box. I haven’t heard of a 153, but the 173 was used on non-CSL’s.

Edit: Confused 153 with 173, see below...

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have one ending in 108, and another one ending in 153.
to do with the ratio, but can´t remember which was which.
the E3 also came with a manual box, as an option.
Batmobiles might have another ratio...?
thanks,
peder

Hi Peder,
As Markos points out, 108 is a pre face lift manual box but not only for the Csl’s (E9 & E3’s too) whereas the 153 is for after face lift, for example 2.5CS and optional for the E3’s too if one ordered without ps. I’m guessing that the 108 was also in the 4355 Bats and not the 153, which are basically face lift cars.
And as always, there is more than one opinion so let the forum members add&speak! The learning curve is never ending.

regards
Keshav

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peder,
this chart might be of help....

ZF Plaque# 7320955108/ E3/ CSL 16.4:1

ZF Plaque# 73209551C8/ E3/ CSL 16.4:1

ZF Plaque# 7320955153/ FL E3/ 2.5CS 19.1:1. 1974/75 cars

pmansson

Reaction score
And how many turns on the steering wheel?
I found a remark in one of the cars’ Blue book that I noted 4 turns and another note saying 5 turn.
And I must try on a CSi the number of turns, as comparison.

mbmw

Reaction score
The spline on the input shaft is also different. The box for the CSL uses a fine spline, the others a coarser one.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
And how many turns on the steering wheel?
I found a remark in one of the cars’ Blue book that I noted 4 turns and another note saying 5 turn.
And I must try on a CSi the number of turns, as comparison.

I will bench test my 108. I had it out last night while going through my bins.

The spline on the input shaft is also different. The box for the CSL uses a fine spline, the others a coarser one.

I’ll do a spline count on mine. Are you referring to the u-joint side or the pitman arm side? The thought of finding a CSL pitman arm makes me shudder.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The u joint side.

It looks more like all steering box splines changed in 1973. Sadly I think I left the u-joint on the box that I sent @JCS. Maybe he has a u-joint handy to count the splines.

Anyway, I’ll count the splines on mine. I’m pretty sure the casting date on my box is 1969. The box 32111105301 started in ‘69 and was replaced by 32111113137 in 1973. I’m guessing that the new box has an updated casting year on it also Perhaps @Keshav could confirm if he has one.

At any rate, my car is a ‘71 so I should have the sloppy old u-joint.

Apologies for the crummy pics.
49DA5DD1-D46E-4CC4-B55B-108F7C7131E4.jpeg

4C736FC4-7EB9-4DC4-A94D-605083F6EB4B.jpeg

pmansson

Reaction score
I have at least one ps box and one manual box where there must be wearon the main, shaft, resulting in a bit of play in the straight ahead position. This cannot be cured by tightening the nut on the lid. Doing this any further will damage the box, and make it too tight towards the extreme ends.
Anyone else come across this?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have at least one ps box and one manual box where there must be wearon the main, shaft, resulting in a bit of play in the straight ahead position. This cannot be cured by tightening the nut on the lid. Doing this any further will damage the box, and make it too tight towards the extreme ends.

I have read about that on the forum. Perhaps from you. For some reason, I want to think that W&N has some parts for this box. I hate searching for stuff on that site. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some pics and specs on mine. 4.375 turns lock to lock. Keep in mind that these are the limits of the box, not the steering linkages. I have no idea if there are linkage stops, but I honestly don’t think so. What I do know is that my numbers seem higher than what has been stated previously. My casting has the same part number and ZF serial as the unit that Mario is selling. According, but his casting is a ‘72. According to our resident CSL expert this box is 16.4:1 Discuss amongst yourselves! :D

ZF 7320955108
=
BMW 32 11 1 105 301

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/32111105301/

Ratio 16,4:1

BTW - 16.4:1 means that for every 16.4 degrees you turn your steering wheel, the road wheels turn 1 degree.

If you watch the needle you can see the sticky spots in the box. I also have a minor gear oil leak out of the big aluminum end cap. I won’t count it twice, but with my toothpick I got 54 splines to connect to the steering ujoint.

6EFF9306-1B3C-48CE-9EA4-DDBB3F075DF2.jpeg
27FFF268-71DE-4870-8B85-47F2F05785BF.jpeg
7EAD1179-1231-450F-88CA-C3E7FFEB7A51.jpeg
F1D02F62-B7E2-40D0-AB03-B76C1EE2DEB3.jpeg

Last edited:

roundel

Reaction score
That sounds a bit strange as usually there is so much free play towards the ends. Back in the day when you did a major service you were supposed to adjust the steering box, for this you had to disconnect the track rods from the box and use a torque meter on the steering wheel. There was never a reading except at the centre point where there had to be a specific torque reading. It was surprising how often the straight ahead position of the steering wheel did not match the centre point of the steering box, caused by the track rods being adjusted unevenly. This gave the effect of too much free play in the straight ahead position. I have seen one box giving the symptoms you describe, it turned out that the cross shaft was slightly bent due to an accident.
Alex

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos - I think there are stops on the subframe; one for the pitman arm and another for the steering arm.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos - I think there are stops on the subframe; one for the pitman arm and another for the steering arm.

Ahh well that explains my turn count. This is all rather meaningless IMO. Best bet is to just rely on the ZF tag for a stated ratio. :)