Minor windshield crack

mosearch

Reaction score
I am posting this on E9 forum simply because there are more folks watching it...but be warned; I'm actually showing an E3...
Latest fun thing in my world is a thin hairline crack appearing on my lower windshield...
It is really not bugging me too much; but I am wondering if I should get it "fixed" by those windshield guys who drill a tiny hole just past the end, and then fill it with epoxy "to prevent it from growing".
In the vast E3/E9 global experience; is there any point in the effort? Will this actually help prevent the growth of the crack? Or is it just voodoo?

crack.e3.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I personally hate windshield cracks. I replaced the windscreen in my jeep 7 times. If you don’t want it to grow fix it. I would honestly replace it however.

With all that said my e9 has a crack running the whole length. :D

mosearch

Reaction score
I am OK with the many several dings and blems on my vintage Bav...and I can live with a limited crack too; especially if I can arrest it's growth.
I'd simply prefer a non-leaking OEM windshield to the expense (and minor leak-risk) of replacement.

That said; does anyone have a Bay Area vendor thay have used (or recommend) for the drill-and-fill method of crack-control?

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently the threshold for repairing a windscreen crack is up to 6”. Longer then this and they need to replace. Repairing also avoids the risk of damange to rubber and silver trim, which has a high chance of happening with a full screen replacement.