More forum pollution

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice! I have 3 of them... one for 17 years now. Ask me anything, lol.

There were many great factory E21 colors. Most of them pretty rare. You can see the full list and a photo-graphical representation here: http://www.e21-board.de/wbb/farbtabelle/ None are actually obnoxious, but olive green is clearly the strangest. I actually like it a lot though. Post-E21, I think Dakkar yellow is the color most often owned by obnoxious people. It reminds me of bananas, and I don't like bananas. I actually kind of like the new Atacama yellow on a small car.

I'm not really sure if S models are going to be worth anything in the future.... right now they're worth a bunch more than standard E21's, but mostly because the S parts alone are worth a bunch. There's no way to actually prove if a car is an original S, so I'm not sure they can gain value over the sum of their parts. What I'm getting at is the real S only came in 4 colors, and painting it some other color would make it hard to sell to someone who is seeking an original S model. If a time ever comes where that matters.

Olive green E24. Seen a few of these, but never a photo of an E21.
attachment.php

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Question; since the IS model has the 5 speed is there a different transmission mount than the regular 320i E21?

Thanks

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question; since the IS model has the 5 speed is there a different transmission mount than the regular 320i E21?

Thanks

They all had a 5 speed from 9/79 and up (unless automatic). There is nothing unique about the S model transmission.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
1983 only had a different 5 speed (functionally identical, but a different model). So the transmission itself, driveshaft, shifter parts, etc are unique to 83. Something to look out for when buying parts.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Layne! That does help allot. Also, from what I think was said above there is nothing "special" about the IS in terms of potential collect-ability in that there is no way to determine if it is a real IS or some other 320i with the different parts?

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, from what I think was said above there is nothing "special" about the IS in terms of potential collect-ability in that there is no way to determine if it is a real IS or some other 320i with the different parts?

That is what I was saying, yet at the same time there is no other source for S parts than from an S (except for the recaro seats, there are plenty of sources for those). So it's not like domestics where you can go to a show and see 125 SS 440 six pack whatevers when only 100 were ever built. The number cannot increase. (I believe the number made was something like 2500, which is too many to obtain that level of collectibility anyway.)

restart

Reaction score
Tag a long question:
Fuel pressure regulator source?
I was looking the other day and seemed to be heading towards a shared Volvo part.
Anybody save me any time locating source?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, for now it's just my bang around car (literally), :) It handles well and is peppy enough and it has roll-down windows which many people have never seen, kind of like when dogs used to chase cars. I have a feeling this will probably be the most driven car I own, although I have a need to pile up as many miles on the e9 as I can as well. Plus, it is so easy to work on :)

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator source?

You mean the fuel accumulator? The pressure regulator is built into the fuel distributor, and while it always needs new O-rings, it never needs replaced.
The accumulator seems to be readily available with the superseded part #16121118899 Cost around $169.

restart

Reaction score
Yes thanks! I do mean the accumulator.
I' ve done those o rings, cured a hot start problem.
A buck 69. Need cheaper. 169 us equals 250 can landed! That's too much.
I should grab that parts 'is'.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
After a little more searching, looks like a Bosch 0 438 170 007 is the generic part number. Sells for around $70US. This one has 2 different size threaded connections on the front, and a hose nipple on the back. Compare to yours and make sure the threaded connections are going to fit. They all operate the same way whether they have 1, 2, or 3 connections, and there's all different sizes of fittings, but I believe this is the one that fits properly.

restart

Reaction score
After a little more searching, looks like a Bosch 0 438 170 007 is the generic part number. Sells for around $70US. This one has 2 different size threaded connections on the front, and a hose nipple on the back. Compare to yours and make sure the threaded connections are going to fit. They all operate the same way whether they have 1, 2, or 3 connections, and there's all different sizes of fittings, but I believe this is the one that fits properly.
Brilliant! Appreciated

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
dang it Peter... I pestered Phil about this 320iS last year when he told me he sold it! You scooped it... I merely wanted the parts for my 2002 project; glad to see you're resurrecting it.

I picked up some nice parts from him, later on though. He has some interesting cars....

Ed

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Funnily enough, on this side of the pond, anything European with chrome bumpers is appreciating fast provided that it is an honest example in stock trim. Mileage is largely immaterial. John.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats on your new family member. I have to make progress on my cars before I can entertain adding any more. Hope to see yours soon.

Ian