My 72 Csi Project

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Here is my 72 Csi.The 3.0 motor ran but not very well,Rod knocking Smoked bad,oil leaking,so.I'm building a 3.5...You know the old story pull the motor,take a look around, kick yourself and start to clean it up.ahh I can do that. I started to sand ,brush, blast the old scars off.im not done but close...I am just going to paint the Motor bay for now
DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Now this is no show car so be nice.
DSC_0001.jpg

klerk

Reaction score
what did you use to paint the engine bay?

did you use a commercial set-up to spray the engine bay? looks nice. i'm about to pull my fathers engine and would like to do the same.

TIA

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am using the old AIR ACCUMULATOR and SUCTION PIPE.
My swap is coming along slowly, Motor is in. Just need to hook the ENGINE WIRING HARNESS...out of a 535i 1989..
For those that have done the swap, my I ask where you placed the IDLE REGULATING VALVE ? and where did you run the hoses?
e11154e0689b2553b83a044df469ed23.jpg

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys..Its been a lot of work just doing the Motor Bay, Very satisfying. The hard part is getting it all to work again.Figuring out what parts to keep and what parts i need to swap.
154984ef3e02984c0cf98e7774c1adc3.jpg
Even in this pic i need to change some things..

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need a little help before i take it to the shop to be finshed up.The more I get done on it the less the shop has to do..If i get it running great, but if not he will make it happen.My mechanic will burn the chip when he runs it on the dyno. The injector harness is from a 1989 535i..1.3 Motronic..

In this pic there are 4 big gray wires, they run back to..
#6 spark plug wire
pulse generator front of motor
throttle switch
oxygen sensor
??? is what to plug it into. Scott ?

0e318710d7e63eb111ccccb7fd670d93.jpg

The Green wire..

3243f9cbf6adc81ba2d9d5eec02ed3ec.jpg

The Red is power..But do you go direct to the power or to the ignition switch? Im thinking to the switch..

9091dd002cc503ba80b1fa083d399353.jpg

And the last one..I have seen these just cut off. any thoughts?

099a53a9b37bdbb05423c606f18f5494.jpg

BonitaCS

Reaction score
Barry,

I was going to work on my taxes this morning but you have provided a welcome distraction! One of the things I did was I took all of the covering off the harness and pulled out the wires that weren’t needed, like the automatic transmission wires which is what I think is in your first photo and shouldn’t need it. What model did you pull the harness from? I removed the diagnostic connector, you might want to keep it or remove it that is your own personal preference but I wouldn’t just cut it off; try to remove the wires from the bundle so nothing can short out. The big gray wires are actually shielded pair of wires; you will see a metallic over braid which protects the wires from the EMI caused by the spark plugs. I down loaded an “Electrical Troubleshooting Manual” for an 89 735i which is the car I pulled my ECU and harness from and it has all of the information you need in it.

First photograph: I think that is connector 1537; an eight pin connector and, if so has the following wires:
Pin 1:
Pin 2: Red/Blue goes to automatic transmission
Pin 3:
Pin 4:
Pin 5: Black (shielded) goes to automatic transmission
Pin 6: Brown (shielded) goes to automatic transmission
Pin 7: Brown/Green goes to pin 51 on ECU
Pin 8:
I couldn’t find what the other ones were for but they all look brown which is ground.

Second photo: I think that green wire with the lug goes to your coil; ohm it out with pin 27 on the ECU plug to be sure. It also should go to your ignition for when the key is in the “run” position.

Third photo: My book says it goes right to the battery with a “fusible link” in between; as I recall I ran it to my fuse box to one of the always hot fuses.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
In the book I have there are three wires comming from the TPS and they don't go into a 8 pin connector.
Brown/Blue from pin 1 on TPS connector to pin 52 on ECU connector
Brown/Black from pin 3 on TPS connector to pin 53 on ECU connector
Brown/Orange from pin 2 on TPS conector to ground
Did you ohm out any of the wires from the 8 pin connector to the TPS connector?

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
my 72 Csi harness is out of the car and I am replacing it with a 1989 535i ...1.3 harness and ECU 179...doing the 3.5 swap

The 72 harness ran from the motor bay /Injectors ...to the ECU under the rear right seat..

Now the fuel pump relay is next to the old ECU it has green/white wires..and 1 white wire connection..into 1 socket
Then there is 2 white wire another socket that went to the ..not sure what they were for..relays??? that were ontop of the Brake housing behind the booster.

So here is my question.. Does the fuel pump get the signal from the ecu...if so what wire?..

2 hours later...

Ok with some help I found that it comes from the fuel pump relay .it's the Green/violet wire. it goes to the fuel pump relay and gives it the signal it needs.
Thanks Maic

Malc

Reaction score
0eb4fb5410a5c87ecf3b72d9202a9a80.jpg

Barry
Note this is a typical Motronic layout and thus your system may be slighty different, especially in regard to the wire colours, so a test meter will be very handy !

Connection 35 ECU to lower relay 1st 87 - Red with Blue trace
Connection 20 ECU to upper relay 85 - Brown with grey or green trace

Upper relay 87 to engine plug 7 - Grey or green with violet trace - this should then connect to the pump! (Note) Your harness may not have this multi plug connector
Upper relay 86 to lower relay 2nd 87 - Red with white trace
Upper relay 30 to direct live feed - Red

Lower relay 2nd 87 to connection with all 6 injectors - Red with white trace
Lower relay 86 to Harness connection 15 - Green or Grey solid - Ignition switch connection?
Lower relay 85 to earth (ground) - Solid Brown
Lower Relay 30 to direct live feed - red

I do have a manual about Bosch LE injection (4 cylinder car with air flow flappy paddle air flow meter) and the fuel pump/ignition switch circuits are very very similiar. If the above doesn't seem to sort your issues I can send that along too :wink:
Malc

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well with some help from Scott ( BonitaCS ) and Maic I started the new motor up today. Oil is pumping good and no coolant leaks...sweet.

The motor swap is the easy part, the swaping of the ECU & wiring Harness is what took most of my time.

Now I get to enjoy my 1972 Csi 3.5.... with a smile on my face. because i did it myself......... :D

Last edited: