My E9 Options

posix

Reaction score
The green one is NOT Turkis!
I would find the best/most expensive one that you are willing to buy. They are expensive to restore, both inside and outside. A 5 speed (OD on 5th) is a big plus. Lack of silly extra side lights as well. And stock, Euro bumpers too.
Good luck. How old are you?

thanks for advice. Have been looking far and wide :) and may have decided to purchase the csi.

I’m in my mid twenties ;)

posix

Reaction score
the first question on the silver coupe - which 3.5L? there are 4 options -
m30 b34 US version (least desirable - low compression / low power),
m30 b34 euro version (highest compression most desirable),
m30 b35 (excellent option),
m90 (highly desirable)

the most prevalent choices are the US b34 or the b35. the b34 is fine if its been completely rebuilt with higher compression pistons, otherwise i would rather have a stock 3.0cs engine (3.0L). please pay attention to @sfdon's knowledge on the entire subject - its worth its weight in gold. do not be in a rush to buy a coupe, @hbchris and @pmansson are correct and this advice will save you money in the long run.
The silver one has an m30b35.

posix

Reaction score
I would hit the pause button. Save your euros, squirrel away as many $$$s as you can. $30,000 is going to buy you a world of trouble and surprises that never end. Even a $50,000 coupe is going to need attention. Look and save at the same time. You may get lucky. The days of a doctor's widow, the original owner, selling a pristine 2800CS to a Community College teacher for $4,000. about 35 years ago are gone like the wind. I know, I am that Community College teacher.
Makes sense. Im in it for the joy of working on / restoring a timeless, beautiful car. :D

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks for advice. Have been looking far and wide :) and may have decided to purchase the csi.

do yourself a favor - give SFDon a call. he's in Alameda. if you buy a CSi, he's the guy you want to know. he is a great resource for any coupe ... i live in ATL and i call Don

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

you are welcome to drop by the shop in alameda.
i just fired up a fresh engine in an Italian Csi last week. Happy to let you go for a ride. if You do buy a car with some rusty bits I can introduce you to our welder.

Frankie123

Site Donor
Reaction score
you are welcome to drop by the shop in alameda.
i just fired up a fresh engine in an Italian Csi last week. Happy to let you go for a ride. if You do buy a car with some rusty bits I can introduce you to our welder.
If only you were “down under”... :)

posix

Reaction score
well it looks like the csi deal didn't go through. was kind of crappy. paid deposit, someone offered higher and seller backed out of the deal.

resuming search :D

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys, one thing that hasn’t been discussed (AFAIK), is the OP’s ability and willingness to do heavy restorative work on the purchased car.

If POS is younger Sven, maybe a cheaper but some what rusty coupe is a smart buy. But if he is sheet metal challenged like me, maybe he should prioritize rust free above all else and not worry about paint and mechanicals.

OP, what are your expectations for near and long term usage, work/investment into the coupe you eventually buy?

John

posix

Reaction score
Guys, one thing that hasn’t been discussed (AFAIK), is the OP’s ability and willingness to do heavy restorative work on the purchased car.

If POS is younger Sven, maybe a cheaper but some what rusty coupe is a smart buy. But if he is sheet metal challenged like me, maybe he should prioritize rust free above all else and not worry about paint and mechanicals.

OP, what are your expectations for near and long term usage, work/investment into the coupe you eventually buy?

John
I want to strip the car down to bare metal and start from there. So I’m looking for a complete car that can have rust. Not afraid to work ;)

posix

Reaction score
The Polaris car i posted about is still for sale, owner is willing to drive to get a PPI for it. He’s in the Orange County area and recommended Jeff Tighe.

im also open to paying any some respected forum members who is in the area to also inspect it as well.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Polaris car i posted about is still for sale, owner is willing to drive to get a PPI for it. He’s in the Orange County area and recommended Jeff Tighe.

im also open to paying any some respected forum members who is in the area to also inspect it as well.

@HB Chris may be willing to help.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Makes sense. Im in it for the joy of working on / restoring a timeless, beautiful car. :D
Please remember that if you strip a coupe down to bare metal,you will have that joy of restoring a timeless car. But it will be a very long time before you actually drive that car. Finding and buying quality parts will take up a lot of time and $$$ also. And you'll be amazed at how many parts are on the car that need to be replaced "now that you're in there".

posix

Reaction score
Please remember that if you strip a coupe down to bare metal,you will have that joy of restoring a timeless car. But it will be a very long time before you actually drive that car. Finding and buying quality parts will take up a lot of time and $$$ also. And you'll be amazed at how many parts are on the car that need to be replaced "now that you're in there".

yup, learned that from my first 2002 resto haha. replaced almost everything :p

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yup, learned that from my first 2002 resto haha. replaced almost everything :p
Good news is the SF Bay Area (used to be my home too) is central to a lot of vintage wheels and many west coast board members will no doubt reach out when they hear. Keep your WTB (want to buy) active, it worked for me and I am sure you will find the right 3.0 in the condition you are seeking.

posix

Reaction score
Had a great time today with @HBChris and @OCCoupe.

Saw two cars for sale would like get some thoughts on it. And provide some of my thoughts.

1) Nachtblau 3.0cs automatic
- sat for 15ish years
- half torn apart
- body in very good condition (fenders good, rocker panels were off and no rust there)
- runs but barely
- lots of good condition parts (dash, glass, etc)

2) Polaris 3.0cs b35 (carbed) with 5 speed
- b35 that pulls well
- 5 speed shifts well
- some surface rust
- interior needs a lot of work (dash, seats, console stitching, etc)

they are both priced the same. Both have pros and cons.

for #1 decent amount will go to engine and transmission swapping because I like the b35 with the 5 speed. #2 will be body work, sourcing interior parts, refurbishing parts.

thoughts?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If condition regards body rust is similar and price is same I'd lean toward the 5spd as that's a lot of work you don't need to do if you wanted a manual.
The other thing with the automatic is the condition of the mechanicals will not have improved from sitting around for 15years. You also don't know that parts are missing.
:D
Provided the Polaris has a salvageable interior I'd go with that. Even if the timber work is poor you can get that re-finished.

This advice comes with the caveat that I'm on another continent and you are standing next to the cars