New BAT offering (1972 BMW 3.0CS 6-Speed)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kind of mind boggling they’re looking at 6-figure CS sale and don’t take the time to do the paint correction, show the defects or explain why on earth you’d just go directly to wet sanding on older paint job as opposed to compounding first. And why not just do the master cylinder? They’re just unnecessarily throwing wads of money out the window.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very odd too.

The car is amazing! Is that Atlantik?

6-speed, but no info on it? C'mon! Most likely a 420G for the E34 M5 Euro w/the S38.

Curious how it'd fit. Nor would it be worth it given the ratios:

123456R

jmackro

Reaction score
Unusual that seller claims it was sold new in California, yet it lacks A/C and power front windows. Were any e9's imported that way? The speedometer is calibrated in mph (not kph), so perhaps.

Odd that seller - who appears to be a dealer - lacks the wherewithal to fix the paint and master cylinder. Who wants to have their new baby suffer brake failure while coasting down the ramp from the upper deck of the transporter?

Nice car and very clean...but a RED VELVET TOOL BOX?

Yea - wow! On the other hand, the undercarriage is nicely detailed.

Arde said:
6 speed if you count reverse...

Seven if you count neutral.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unusual that seller claims it was sold new in California, yet it lacks A/C and power front windows. Were any e9's imported that way? The speedometer is calibrated in mph (not kph), so perhaps.

Odd that seller - who appears to be a dealer - lacks the wherewithal to fix the paint and master cylinder. Who wants to have their new baby suffer brake failure while coasting down the ramp from the upper deck of the transporter?

The entire trunk, all of it, is done in Brothel Red Velvet. Never seen anything quite like this.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score

Jay, my 2800cs has no AC and manual front windows. Most likely a California car. My history goes back to the late 80s in Glendale, CA.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The atlantikblau looks great - is that what it is? I thought it was black, but the ad says it was repainted blue.

jmackro

Reaction score
Jay, my 2800cs has no AC and manual front windows. Most likely a California car. My history goes back to the late 80s in Glendale, CA.

Late 80's is still close to 20 years after the car was built.

The lore is that Max Hoffman spec'd US-delivery cars with all the options: air conditioning, power windows, leather, etc. But I might believe that US buyers could order a car without A/C or power windows.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is US spec with European delivery, no leather, no AC, no Max Hoffman. Wish it had manual windows...

The lore is that Max Hoffman spec'd US-delivery cars with all the options: air conditioning, power windows, leather, etc. But I might believe that US buyers could order a car without A/C or power windows.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is US spec with European delivery, no leather, no AC, no Max Hoffman. Wish it had manual windows...

I’m looking at another car that is a US VIN with delivery to the UK, confirmed by BMW Info. AC and manual windows. I think we covered enough permutations to say with confidence that anything is possible.

DavidE9

Reaction score
“If you buy the car from a dealer, federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) is charged at a rate of 5 percent. Provincial sales tax (PST) is also charged at a rate of 7 percent for vehicles less than $55,000. PST increases by 1 percent for each additional $1,000 for vehicles above $57,000, up to a maximum of 10 percent.”Thank you for your email.”

Might be important information for any bidders! BAT lists it through the dealer so at least a minimum of 12% Tax on purchase price.

Also the car is a FOUR SPEED! I have seen the car and looked underneath hoping for a five speed. It has the small original four speed with mechanical drive, factory mountings and original length driveshaft. Which is nice because its original! Could be a six speed if you count two thirds and two fourths! Or neutral and reverse! ;) You can actually see in the video he puts it 1st and 2nd twice.

Also it is definitely a Canadian car! Below is an email from BMW. I owned a Canadian E9 a while ago that was only a few numbers off this car. Looking at the car you can see that there is some metal work done, meaning it wasn’t a rust free car to begin with. That being said it is an amazing restoration! Originally Riviera blue too. The code in the door is 36.

“The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240143 was manufactured on March 14th, 1972 and delivered on April 25th, 1972 to Canada. The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036.
We hope this information is helpful for you.”
Yours sincerely,
Julia Oberndörfer”

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good info.
March 14th 1972 was a Tuesday, which is a good day, workers did not start cutting corners this early in the week.
That Julia Oberndorfer has a really good memory.
Perhaps it is some kind of Canadian version of the old "Double Clutch." He thinks it is not a synchronized transmission, at least in first and second??

bimbill

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This car is a bit of a mixed bag. The underside looks exceptional in terms of attention to detail during the restoration. However, the statements about paint damage when removing a wrap used in shipping gives me the willies. If the paint prep was done properly and the vinyl was removed correctly there should be no paint damage. I bet there was something done improperly during the restoration paint job. Bidders should factor in a complete strip and paint and if you're going to do that I would opt for the original Riviera.

Also, I'm with sfdon. I have never heard of a six speed with mechanical speedo drive that would mate up to a M30.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone ID the transmission from this:

8DB02677-4626-41F1-A935-54D2C32D5D63.jpeg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here ya go- the pic I took yesterday of a 4 speed tranny at my shop.
CA60C45C-8C9C-41F9-95E0-92F52F728144.jpeg

DavidE9

Reaction score
Alright, here are a few pictures of the car. I have more if anyone is interested. The attention to detail is surprising on the restoration. It is most definitely a four speed! I actually find it quite funny the dealership thinks its a six speed. I talked to the one salesman and he knew absolutely nothing about the car. Which isn't surprising but kinda a shame a car like this is getting misrepresented.

hlmQ6Inh.jpg

5hXHhXih.jpg

rJEJkpUh.jpg

NOMQFSuh.jpg

PscRwyEh.jpg

L369iK1h.jpg

pUz3fTNh.jpg

Hau3ZZyh.jpg

2UApBqyh.jpg

TN8IbAMh.jpg

Cl0h5hmh.jpg

NF5fMc4h.jpg