New BAT offering (1972 BMW 3.0CS 6-Speed)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good work David. Amazing detail in the re-assembly of this car, but I agree, for many of us, certain things are out of place. That "salesman" who does the shifting video reminds me of the "actor/model"? in the Vredestein tire ad in some publications seen walking from a Jaguar XK140 with his briefcase-like he even knows what that car is! But this Coupe is at $38K several days before auction ends, what gives?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny I saw that pic of the tail housing and was waiting for the “non-six-speed” correction. The 420G tail doesn’t look like that. Then I saw the video and thought to myself “huh - go figure”.

This car is a bit of a mixed bag. The underside looks exceptional in terms of attention to detail during the restoration.

Agreed on the underside. The steel floor pan plugs are from a later model (non-E9). It’s a non issue but an indication that some semblance of floor pan work was done. I noticed it immediately because I’ve been looking to source a set and have been researching. The place in Poland has a set of four for around $100.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good work David. Amazing detail in the re-assembly of this car, but I agree, for many of us, certain things are out of place. That "salesman" who does the shifting video reminds me of the "actor/model"? in the Vredestein tire ad in some publications seen walking from a Jaguar XK140 with his briefcase-like he even knows what that car is! But this Coupe is at $38K several days before auction ends, what gives?

Reminds me of this...

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dave, did the paint look compromised? I really hope the seller does well in spite of the dealership. Someone worked very hard on this car at some point. The new hardware really makes it pop. 4-spd & 70s steakhouse trunk are small potatoes if the paint is correctible.

DavidE9

Reaction score
Dave, did the paint look compromised? I really hope the seller does well in spite of the dealership. Someone worked very hard on this car at some point. The new hardware really makes it pop. 4-spd & 70s steakhouse trunk are small potatoes if the paint is correctible.

I saw this car last year and the paint had some relatively minor scratching and few deeper scratches. Definitely needed a polish. However it looked stunning! The car was already cut polished a one point so I would grab a paint thickness gauge to see how much material there is left to work with. However by the sounds of it something may have happened in the mean time? I know they took the car out of their show room at one point. Honestly if you are interested in buying a car of this caliber spend the couple hundred bucks and fly out and have a look. I'm sure a lot of the comments on bring a trailer about the paint aren't serious about buying. Anyone who is, probably is looking at flights ;)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I saw this car last year and the paint had some relatively minor scratching and few deeper scratches. Definitely needed a polish. However it looked stunning! The car was already cut polished a one point so I would grab a paint thickness gauge to see how much material there is left to work with. However by the sounds of it something may have happened in the mean time? I know they took the car out of their show room at one point. Honestly if you are interested in buying a car of this caliber spend the couple hundred bucks and fly out and have a look. I'm sure a lot of the comments on bring a trailer about the paint aren't serious about buying. Anyone who is, probably is looking at flights ;)

Thanks. If I bought another car, I'd be divorced. Friend here in Oklahoma is looking at it. I told him the same thing about flying out to look at it. I'm in Boston right now and was going to jump up and take a look but I lost a day from the storm, so can't do it.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unusual that seller claims it was sold new in California, yet it lacks A/C and power front windows. Were any e9's imported that way? The speedometer is calibrated in mph (not kph), so perhaps.

Odd that seller - who appears to be a dealer - lacks the wherewithal to fix the paint and master cylinder. Who wants to have their new baby suffer brake failure while coasting down the ramp from the upper deck of the transporter?

Yea - wow! On the other hand, the undercarriage is nicely detailed.

Seven if you count neutral.
Neutral is definitely a speed when the brake master cylinder doesn't work.... Guess the seller will not be allowing test drives...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is odd.

rJEJkpUh.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What’s odd is:
the battery- the terminals are on the wrong side.
The vacuum lines are wrong
The......six speed isn’t a 6 speed

Yet... there is a lot of good stuff to see.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Airbox clips have been painted
The expansion hose isn’t clipped in...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is time for an "intervention". Some group of "stewards" should venture out to this location and properly scrutinize this Coupe and accurately report just what it is, strengths and weaknesses. This could have been a much better auction.:(
Mike

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think it is time for an "intervention". Some group of "stewards" should venture out to this location and properly scrutinize this Coupe and accurately report just what it is, strengths and weaknesses. This could have been a much better auction.:(
Mike
Let's chip in and send sfDon up to take a peek. Most of the rest of us would be wasting our money on a ticket.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Done right...

Attachments

• F4370A55-49C6-410B-ADC7-FEC3BD5F7DD5.jpeg
    F4370A55-49C6-410B-ADC7-FEC3BD5F7DD5.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 3F970C95-47B7-49B7-AF81-E89C5DB65DEF.jpeg
    3F970C95-47B7-49B7-AF81-E89C5DB65DEF.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 198

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let's chip in and send sfDon up to take a peek. Most of the rest of us would be wasting our money on a ticket.
Well, I am no SFDon, but it is a 2 hour, 1-way, ferry ride for me to this location. Then there is the Dealer nonsense. No thanks. If this seller was wise, he would bring this car over to North Vancouver on Sunday for "German Car Day". When I bring my Coupe there every year, it is astonishing how many of the general public just want to buy it. It could all be over in a matter of hours. But where is the drama in that?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's a beautiful car and he does not need to sell it on BAT, there would be many that would pay him his asking price I think. Also, unless he threw 2 more gears in the box that's a 4-speed. It really is beautiful but we must remove the pimp from the trunk.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's a beautiful car and he does not need to sell it on BAT, there would be many that would pay him his asking price I think. Also, unless he threw 2 more gears in the box that's a 4-speed. It really is beautiful but we must remove the pimp from the trunk.
Peter, the closeup of the trunk hinge seems to reveal RED CARPET as the material of bad choice.

All it needs is a pair of cofin-size speakers and e pneumatic suspension system.