New FAQ Under Construction

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am working on a FAQ for under dash relays. Thanks to Jay Mackro and Scott Crater I have a first attempt for the 2800CS with more to come. Steve will send me 72 3.0CS and I already have 73 and 74 photos which will be added. Thanks also to Andrew Wilson and Gary Wittman. What makes the 2800CS more challenging is that the wiring diagram does not show colors next to each item, you must look up the wire number in a table to decipher.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would an automatic be different? I have a may 73 automatic Swiss delivery.
Although now disassembled, I probably have 25 pics of the under dash situation before- during dissambly. Let me know if you need any pics.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A suggestion - if you are adding wiring stuff to the FAQs, you may want to add something on the power distribution features of our fuse blocks. This is a fundamental thing you need to understand any time you are looking for parasitic power drains or adding circuits. The details differ across the model years, but the concept applies to all our cars. The picture of that fuse block that Markos posted (and that I keep reposting over and over again) is really helpful in explaining this.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Erik, I would love any photos, especially since mid-73 coupes without power front windows will have one less relay. And a shot of the auto relay near the brake booster would be great. Same with the choke relays in same area.

Chris, If you would draft something I can add it with photos.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
How is this:

When chasing electrical issues in our cars, or adding circuits, it is important to take into account the fact that the fuse blocks in our cars double as power distribution.

This picture is from a 72 - later cars are a little different - but this shows that the solid red area behind fuses 4 & 5 incorporates six spade lugs (one has a fat red wire and another has a fat black wire) that are all tied together. Power is connected from the battery here, and all six of the spade lugs in this area are connected, so this area of the fuse block distributes unswitched power before the fuse. Note that these circuits are connected without regard to whether fuse 4 and/or fuse 5 is in place.

Similarly, the solid green area above fuses 6 & 7 has three spade lugs that are all connected. In the fuse block pictured, all of the spade lugs have solid green wires attached to them. Electrically, these are connected to the ignition switch so they function to distribute switched power before the fuses.

These distribution connections are illustrated in the wiring diagrams in the owners’ manual and the blue books (but not in the nice color blown up version Prospero sells on ebay), but you have to look really closely to see them.

There is also distribution after the fuses. By way of example, the unswitched power area below the fuse, delineated on the back of the fuse block with white diagonal stripes across a red background, contains three spade lugs that are connected after fuse 4. Thus, the circuit connected to that area with the connector with one red/white wire is connected to the circuits connected to that area with the double red/white wire. Pulling fuse number 4 disconnects all the circuits in the red/white stripe area from the circuits in the red area, but the circuits in the red/white stripe area remain connected even if you pull the fuse. The red yellow area has two lugs that would act the same way after fuse 5, but there is only one wire attached to that area (red/yellow).

I believe on later cars that unswitched power is distributed across fuses 5 & 6, with switched power distributed across 3 & 4.

It is imperative that consideration be given to these connections when trying to isolate the circuits that go through any of these fuses.

Fuse Block.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
l will take a video of that fuse block so all of the wires and associated numbered slots are clear. Reading the comments above from @Ohmess makes it clear that I should not attempt to speak during the video.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Merdad, Underdash is most likely the same but choke and auto relay is needed.

Chris, Note which side faces upward when installed, power enters from top.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BTW, Chris on the picture previously sent, Relay marked as Hazard/Turn Signal, is actually Intermittent Wiper speed relay.

F4E30C24-1435-41B2-856E-64853E341BD8.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Chris,

You already have some good conentent here that may be additive. Your pic also shows the proper orientation of the fuse box, which may help people understand the power side of the block.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

You already have some good conentent here that may be additive. Your pic also shows the proper orientation of the fuse box, which may help people understand the power side of the block.

I will be adding those photos and comments shortly.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Choke?
Auto relay is under the hood. I'll post a pic.

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will be adding those photos and comments shortly.
I put in a new front wiring set (lucky find here, and two of them), and a new fuse box, and I wired based on the colored wiring diagram and the original 2800 diagram without a hitch.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for comments on this thread, I want to avoid comments on the FAQ until it is complete.

If any land in there I can clean them up. Good
to have the comments here however to memorialize the contributors. :D