New Header from Schmiedmann

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I've received my header for my BMW e9, and its beautiful. Stainless steel and beautiful welds.

However, there's one quality problem that jumped out at me as soon as I opened the box, and I was very surprised it passed their quality inspection. One of the pipes, I believe #3, had an incomplete weld. The attached pdf clearly shows where 2cm of weld is missing.

I've contacted Schmiedmann and am waiting to hear back from them on how they want to handle this issue. It's certainly not practical to ship it all the way back to Denmark for a little welding, but it must be fixed before installing.

Again, it really is a beautiful header, and it will compliment my car. I'm just disappointed with the obvious flaw.

I'll post an update once I get this resolved.

Last edited:

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
$56 and shipped by DHL. Packaged very nicely too.

Here's the weld.

Attachments

• Weld 1.jpg
    Weld 1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Weld 2.jpg
    Weld 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 376

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They look nice. I would be curious to hear about the fitment/clearance to the rails once installed.

Are the O2 bung ports in a place that works? It seems like you need a good 3-4" of clearance for the sensor and wire.

What is the O.D. of the outlet pipe?

What exhaust setup are you planning on downstream of the headers?

Thanks,

pamp

Reaction score
Headers

I looked at those....I did e-mail as to inquire as to the tube size but Danish to English did not translate well and never got a satisfactory answer. Could you throw the calipers to those and tell us the tube size....head to collector and the final outlet size? TIA I am still playing with my mystery headers and did a test fit to a M30B35 block I have in the shop.
Need to get a proper bung in the merge I will use....cannot seem to source the bung I want locally.....I used my last one on those test pipes I did for Sven!

Last edited:

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
I WANT SOME!!! What would be your thoughts on being able to re hash the bottom section to clear the steering box on a RHD? at the price they are this is an attractive option if it can be done, I would be interested in seeing any picture during your install

Steve

tmason

Reaction score
It looks like in the Web photo that it's missing the weld on third tube in like the photo's posted?

pamp

Reaction score
The deal

Is that tube size and the downstream show is important. Cannot go to large or you lose. Why I want the spec's on these....

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tube size is 1 5/8", then 2" after the collector. All welds are on the exterior only, and are cleaned up very nicely inside the plate attaching to the head. Inside the collector its pretty good, but I may try to see if I can reach my grinder in there and tidy it up a bit.

This will attach to the center resonator, then after that I've eliminated the big, heavy rear muffler with a straight pipe and still have the tiny resonator just before the tail pipe. Sounds beautiful, but can be a bit wearing on you if driving more than 2 hours.

pamp

Reaction score
Headers

Correction.....I have talked to Ms. Stahl and contrary to the the conversation we had last year, she has decided to hold on to all her jigs, etc. and continue on to build headers for the M30. She stocks the headers for the 2002....the M30 units are by special order and aproximately 2 weeks out. She also said to disregard the prices she has currently on the site.
Said to add $75 aprox. to her current posted price. Still, beats the Korman premium by around $600. To further clarify....industry standard is to measure the tube size by O.D.
If the Schmiedmann's measure at 1 5/8'' ....I have to say this....that is full race. Stahl offers
1 1/4'', 1 3/8'', 1 1/2'', and 1 5/8'' According to the Korman boys...."1 1/2''....for engines of 270 Hp or more" Korman does not offer the 1 5/8''.... 1 3/8'' max for an engine of relatively stock tune, long tube headers as the Stahl design. My 2 cents after much research. Sorry if I am getting redundant as to the post "Is this a Stahl header?"
http://www.stahlheaders.com/Frame New RR.htm

Last edited:

sreams

Reaction score
If the Schmiedmann's measure at 1 5/8'' ....I have to say this....that is full race.

Although... the Schmiedmann headers are also much shorter, so I suspect the larger tube size offsets that, and that 1 5/8" is not really "full race" in this case. If they were as long as the Stahl headers, they'd be full race.

-Scott

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welding headers

I had two stainless headers welded last year. I took one to a custom exhaust place. They put so much heat into it that the flange warped. They said, "it's normal."

I took the other one to a custom bike shop (builds bike up from scratch). They were were much faster (15min for reinforcing three pipe-flange joints),one quarter the price, their welds were works of art, and the flange didnt warp.

Go find a custom bike shop that makes their own stainless header fro J-tubing ... This kind of work is the stuff they do in their sleep.

pamp

Reaction score
Yes

I agree with you Scott. Volume. I considered this and why I believe I will be OK with the "mystery headers" Nicad and I am working with.

sreams

Reaction score
Any pictures you can post of the headers installed in your coupe would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to see what fitment is like.

-Scott

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Schmiedmann agreed to give me a $15 refund, which is all it cost me out of pocket to complete the welding.

I'll post pics and a write-up once I get around to installing. It's still ski season here in Vermont!