new integrated console for gauges and radio

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well, after doing this in the central console area:

i realized that two different base plates one for gauges, and other for the radio, using different materials, ...makes no sense

so i am now designing and making an integrated piece:

it has a slight bump in the middle, a sort of transition from the radio side to the gauges side

Last edited:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That looks really nice. With the MS3 ecu I am planning on using an android tablet and virtual gauges. Any suggestions for a flip down screen or something that could tuck away neatly?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like the contour where it steps out for the radio, will look like the stock A/C face but with gauges instead of the non functioning vents. Do you have A/C or is it not a "requirement" where you are living?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the contour where it steps out for the radio, will look like the stock A/C face but with gauges instead of the non functioning vents. Do you have A/C or is it not a "requirement" where you are living?

hi peter, the contour ! yes you got the point, that was the idea that originated my design, it will look pretty much the same

AC ? that is not a requirement here in the north, but funny enough as this car lived in the south i do have it integrated in the same console that is used in non AC cars

i mean my AC is a behr system installed aftermarket by bmw dealer when the car arrived in spain, the evaporator is not the usual one, but a sort of more horizontal thing that can be accomodated without the need of the stock AC face, and without the AC lateral panels and grilles that form a different angle, and without losing the space for this gauges and radio

....best of both worlds ? who knows...?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think this will turn out very nicely. Looking forward to the application of fine Corinthian leather you must have locally!!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Beautiful

I am planning to do precisely this same type of console, with the exception that I hope to incorporate the two a/c switches underneath gauges 1-2 and 3-4 (with perhaps a third switch between 2-3), all above the bump for the radio.

I have three of the four gauges, two of the three senders I need (with one installed already), gauge rings to shield the gauges in the daylight (not sure if I will attempt to slant them toward the driver), the beginnings of a wiring diagram, the vinyl to coat the console and a bit to drill the holes for the 52mm gauges.

Might it be possible to get copies of your drawings? Perhaps they could be copied actual size onto paper at a printer and mailed in a tube? Your design is great and in particular you have already worked out the spacing for the four gauges.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really love how innovative
we all can be with the lovely coupe

DQs project is great!

As for mine I feel I need to coin a new expression for when I overdo projects.

I am considering coupesturbations or masturprojects.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Masturprojectscoupesturbation-expealadocious: If you say it loud enough it could be quite atrocious!

We all need real jobs-