New(ish) e9 owner intro and request for advice

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got it. You don’t want to go down the road of replacing rubber if you don’t have to. If the car was always in AZ, all rubber and plastic would likely be shot.

Good to know we are only looking at dirt in the bay. The battery tray could be treated with POR-15 without much critique.

When I mentioned replacing rubber I mainly meant hoses and seals for the engine. All of the weatherstripping and what not seems intact and suprisingly supple. In fact I went and opened the hood to poke around a bit and most of the hoses seem nice and supple still as well. I mainly work on modern era vehicles and that things that are 10 years old don't seem to hold up as good.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow this is amazing, congrats despite the circumstances. I would disassemble, clean, and reassemble all engine compartment stuff, you will be surprised how it will clean up. Get the engine running, replace all rubber lines - fuel, coolant etc. Clean out the gas tank. Change all fluids. Polish up the aluminum and replate the original fasteners. Take your time and you will be amazed at the results. Your great uncle would appreciate it and probably want you to drive and enjoy it, don't save it for the next guy.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
He truly was a great uncle. Cant argue with much of what's been said. As mentioned, in its almost virginal state, document with many pictures. Great archival batch to be held in the site coffers, if you would allow that. There is a narcotic aura around these cars; and the more you are around it, and drive it, it may convince you to keep it. I would.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have no problem devoting time energy and money to getting it up and going again and I am pretty sure I have the necessary skills I am just scared of working on something so potentially valuable. Thank you for your advice!
That is great to hear. No need to be scared. If anything seems out of your league, there are plenty of highly competent people here who are willing to help. You can also do whatever you are comfortable yourself and then farm specific sections to trustworthy shops. It doesn’t have to be all one or the other.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
....and replate the original fasteners.

I probably wouldn't do this. You can clean the fasteners in one of those tumbler cleaners, or use a soft wire wheel. They will look better replated, but it will take away the originality. Again, it's a slippery slope when you start sacrificing originality for prettier.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Condolences for your Uncle, but also...Congrats on your inheritance!

As I've learned from my HS auto shop teacher: BRAKES, TIRES, STEERING!

Get those 3 things done before ANYTHING!

Then you can concentrate on getting the fuel system gone through, and the clutch fixed (probably just needs a new slave cylinder and hydraulic bleed).

I dunno; I really hate ugly engine compartments. I think you can redo it w/o harming the originality of the rest of it.

Check underneath; how are the floor boards? Remove the rocker covers; everything look OK there?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have you put an asking price to your car?
My opinion (I always have one ;) ) is that this car is so unique that it would be impossible to put a market price on it. No comps that I have ever seen. If it is ever sold, it needs to happen at a well publicised, well attended auction. BaT may qualify as such. The market will then decide what the value is.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My opinion (I always have one ;) ) is that this car is so unique that it would be impossible to put a market price on it. No comps that I have ever seen. If it is ever sold, it needs to happen at a well publicised, well attended auction. BaT may qualify as such. The market will then decide what the value is.

The more I look at it, the more I think just give it a thorough cleaning and do zero restoration.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 116448

Carbs look clean and not gummed up. The linkage seems to be stuck though, you cant work it by hand and the pedal doesn't seem to want to move either.

View attachment 116450

a look through the oil cap, looks brand new to me.

View attachment 116451

authentic bmw oil filter, pretty neat

View attachment 116452

Radiator looks new to me?

View attachment 116453

Inner fender shot, no visible rust and when I knock on it it seems solid. I really think there is pretty much zero rust on this car.

View attachment 116454

Just another interior shot can't mention enough how pristine it is no cracks everything seems in working order just a little corrosion on the chrome trim pieces should be able to polish those out.

I'll keep you guys updated along the way and post pictures if you want or if its getting spammy I can stop :)
Hello and welcome. That’s quite a find.
Couple observations: looks like an attempt was made to improve the cooling system. You have a later style 9 blade fan with fan clutch from 1980’s era M30 engines, so water pump had to be replaced to accommodate it. Radiator was likely replaced at the same time. Check the casting date of the head. Look on the intake side of the head with the air cleaner off. If it’s original it will have a circled “74”. Early heads were known to crack if overheated. If will have a later casting year if it’s been replaced. I suspect your great uncle would have kept a record of such a repair. That log book and window sicker are strong evidence of the great care he took of this car.

The paint of the engine bay in the lighter metallic colors always discolored over time. Adds character IMHO. Seal up the rust on the battery tray and then cleanup everything else. Keep this car as original as possible That’s what makes it so unique.

E9s are awesome cars and you have come to the best place on the inter webs for information and advice.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
john

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The 74 had a viscous clutch for the first time.
Chris,
Must be later manufactured models?
Mine was built in May 74 and had the old style non-clutch fan. Early viscous clutch fan were orange 8 blades? Later 9 blades are black? If memory serves.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris,
Must be later manufactured models?
Mine was built in May 74 and had the old style non-clutch fan. Early viscous clutch fan were orange 8 blades? Later 9 blades are black? If memory serves.
I think this is one of the cases to check the log book and see what (if anything) was done.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow, what a fun thread to read through! I think we got him hooked guys! Did you read his excitement for finding the bmw oil filter? That's the nerdy stuff people say when they're hooked.

Welcome to the world of E9!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As far as catching up with needed maintenance, it has all been said.
Congratulation on your inheritance! This car is a gem and the family history makes it ever so much more special.
These cars are a joy to drive. Power, comfort, elegance - you will get a lot of looks and "thumbs up" as you drive.
Good luck and enjoy!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is a textbook example (in my opinion) of how to prepare and present an original car for sale. It's a 2002, but translates well to this car...

The info provided by the seller in the comments section is priceless.