New Wheels For My Baby

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the coupe is at the body shop getting the front fenders rolled for the new set of BBS 17x8 ET20 style 5's and they call me after test fitting the rims saying that the original lugs aren't long enough to safely mount them. He says that I'll need new longer lugs (which is apparently a PITA on the E9's right?).

Has anyone else heard of this problem with the style 5's?

Those with style 5's mounted please share your words of wisdom and if you've had any problems using the original lugs/lug nuts.

Thanks in advance.

They are absolutely incorrect. I have 3mm spacers on the front and I still get 7 full turns of the lug nut. They are doing something wrong. Also don't forget the hubcentric rings. They are available on Ebay and most tire shops for about $10 for the set.

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Thanks Verde. I will be getting it back home tomorrow so I'll be able to do a test fit for myself. I did remember to get the hub centric rings but thanks for the reminder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 7 full turns!

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Fender Rolling

How much is the body shop charging to roll your fenders? My paint is decent but it's about 20 years old and I do not want to do this job myself.

ccmguy8

Reaction score
It was $100 per side just for the fronts. We agreed that with the tire size (225/45/17) all around, the rears didn't need to be rolled.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks

Anxious to see how yours looks. I was planning on going with 225's all around because I thought the 245's would be a little too wide in the rear.

DaSurfa

Reaction score
I finally finished polishing my style-5 wheels and have new Yokohama YK580 215/35/17 mounted on all four wheels. Man I love how these wheels look on our E9 coupes. I've only had them on for about 2 weeks and I get tons of compliments on the wheels and how well they match my E9.

The previous tires were 235/35/17 and I was having issues with the fronts rubbing against the struts and now with these new 215/35/17 it fits perfect. There is about maybe 3-5mm clearance between the tires and strut.

Here is what my E9 looks like with the new shoes.

DSC5799_sm_zpse2fd3fff.jpg

DSC5811_sm_zps21dab06c.jpg

My suspension is all stock and to me it looks like I need a slight drop in the front of maybe an 1" or so. I know I might get flamed but I was gonna try to cut about one coil off the fronts.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think you'll like the ride with a cut coil, my NK rides like an ox cart, I am putting stock springs back in it.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Your car looks great, I agree you could use a little lowering in the front.

The problem you'll have with cutting a coil off on the front is that the coil will then not stay seated in the upper mount. Mine slipped off while I was driving...interesting!

I suppose you could cut a coil, then heat and bend the coil to better seat in the upper mount. Or buy proper lowering springs. FWIW cutting in the rear works well.

Eventually I worked with ground control for a slide on coilover and adjustable camber plates in the front.

Stefan

Reaction score
If I could turn back the clock. ....
When E9 was supposed to be introduced within next week.

Hey!!! put some cross spoke wheels on this lovely design!!

If, above would have been happened the E9 would step up in the list of most beautiful cars ever.

Orangener

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my "Orange" over the year, I had a lot of alu´s on her.... Wolfrace 7x14"
orange1.jpg

7x16"R 8x16R" Alpinas
Strasshof226.jpg

6x14" ATS
MitAts.jpg

MSW 7x15"
MSWklein.jpg

And here, thats when I bought her, in 1997, with the original 6x14"
anno1998kleinKopie-1.jpg

2 years ago in Hungaria :
7_bmw_tali_sopron_2011_girls_020.jpg

ccmguy8

Reaction score
I wonder if we should just have a dedicated wheel thread?

Anyway, I'm itching to get my 17x8 Style 5's mounted but I'm wondering if I should send them to the pro's to get the lips really polished. Going to leave the centers painted. For now they are just laying in wait...

89D52572-5A85-4B1D-85FE-8069EF55D39C-18065-00001B70308D08E9_zps2ecf970f.jpg

Can't wait to see them on my baby but thanks to DaSurfa for giving me a preview.

A74CA66B-58A9-4789-8C0B-42F518D512E9-18065-00001B70344181EA_zps8c3c123c.jpg

DaSurfa, are you going without center caps for now?

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
7b853c35.jpg

225/60/14
Carl Nelson springs
Fender lips rolled.

I just picked up a set of Alpina 14" wheels also, I think my style 5's will be up for sale shortly. Funny thing is I had wanted these style 5 wheels for a long time but after having them on for a couple of months now I am convinced 16" is the largest size an E9 should have on.

DaSurfa

Reaction score
ccmguy8, I just finished cleaning the caps and installed them onto my wheels.
I kinda like the look of the wheels without the caps.