New Wheels For My Baby

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used this site in the past which has been helpful. I fear you are forcing a round peg into a square hole and will have to downsize on the tires. Spacers will push you 3mm away from the strut, but as mentioned, you will be 3mm closer to the unrolled lip. http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
<<<Can't be done as the wheels in questions are 2 piece (single barrel and wheel center) and not 3 piece wheels.>>>

The work decoupe is referencing is cutting and welding of the barrels, (though he seems to indicate the outer lip on the style 5's cannot be modified, only the inner.)

mrdstr_4.jpg

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
<<<Can't be done as the wheels in questions are 2 piece (single barrel and wheel center) and not 3 piece wheels.>>>

The work decoupe is referencing is cutting and welding of the barrels, (though he seems to indicate the outer lip on the style 5's cannot be modified, only the inner.)

mrdstr_4.jpg

This is correct and maybe there is a good reason why a two piece barrel can't have 1/2" added to either side instead 1" on the backside of the hub - don't know but cost would double at least so not much point. Pamp has a set of 3 piece style and spent a great deal of time and effort tracking down outer collars to get the stagger he wanted and they are gorgeous. No cutting necessary that way.

I'm refinishing a set of style 42 and wanted 9" for the rear but they are very rare and no doubt pricey - adding the 1" to the inside is an affordable option at $550 to do a pair but the lips would remain the same as the fronts and require 10mm spacers and new lugs. Still considering but probably stay with 8" at all four corners.

showpicphp_zps1e8bc87e.jpg

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Style 5's

So, I just picked up a set of 17x8 Style 5's and I'm on Carl Nelson springs with the spacers removed. Based on the concerns expressed, 235/45/17 tires seem to be too wide. Would 225/45/17 tires then fit better with no rubbing issues? I'd prefer not to have to use spacers. Also, anyone know where can I pick up the hub centric rings for the fronts?

Thanks.

DaSurfa

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a set of 17x8 Style 5's and I'm on Carl Nelson springs with the spacers removed. Based on the concerns expressed, 235/45/17 tires seem to be too wide. Would 225/45/17 tires then fit better with no rubbing issues? I'd prefer not to have to use spacers. Also, anyone know where can I pick up the hub centric rings for the fronts?

Thanks.

Right now I'm in the process of refinishing my style-5's and about half way done with polishing the barrels and will mount some 205/40/17 tires to see if I still have issues with rubbing.

These are the rings that I got off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUB-CENTRIC-RINGS-ALUMINUM-BMW-74-1X72-6-/271148238261

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I can't find the rings on the Tire Rack website so I'll probably get the ebay ones. DaSurfa, is your coupe lowered? Please keep me updated on how your fitment goes. I'd love to see a pic when the wheels get mounted.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Style 5

I know this is the wrong area to post, but I have 5 Style 5 wheels, 17's if anyone is interested, $1,000 OBO

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the BBS wheels and the Carl Nelson springs, neither of which are on the car yet. Outside of the trial and error method, are there any ways to predict which spacers, rings, etc. I will need in advance? I do not have a lift yet so this will be done at a garage. Based on the cost of the spacers and rings, probably better to have everything on hand before we start. I'm also not sure where my early US car has the front tower spacers to raise the headlamps, but based on the look (like it's about to take off) I'm guessing so. I do like the look of the slightly lowered 17's so hopefully we will make some progress in the next couple of weeks. I have also not purchased tires yet, but it sounds like a 215 or 225 on all fours is probably the safe bet.

Last edited:

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Sooner, I would have been interested if I didn't just pick up a set on ebay. Good luck with shifting them. I'm sure someone else will be interested.

bwalvoord, looks like Vince had the 17x8 style 5's and he is lowered. He had 235/45/17's with no rubbing issues according to his previous posts but he did have to roll his front fenders. Hopefully with 215 or 225 tires we won't have to roll the fenders. I'll let you know how the fitment goes if I can get them mounted relatively soon. I will be polishing them first of course and we'll have to see how that goes...

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing some more pics of the setup and ride height. I'm also looking forward to finally getting mine back on the road. My paint job is about 20 years old but in relatively good shape. I'm a little concerned about rolling the fenders so if necessary I'll leave that to the pros.

pamp

Reaction score
Wheels

As my good friend from Alberta stated, I run BBS RS 16 X 7 front and 16 X 8 rear. I started with a square set 16 X 7 and got the the stagger by going 1 inch to the outer lip on the rears.
I rolled the rear fenders. Front was good. I did experiment as I am wont to do with the 17 inch wheels from my E39....Rears were no problem...fronts hit the strut. I would be louth to use spacers....you must consider "track" Most modern cars are a bit narrower on the rear vs the front ....shopping cart effect to ease parking. The E9 stock is this way. The stagger makes the track square....equal front to rear and makes for better high speed handling. That said, do not kick the track wide on the front by poor offset or spacers. Trial and error for sure...this is what I know.

Last edited:

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, with 1" lowering springs in front, 16X7 ET11, 205/55, I had to roll fenders. Rears were fine with 16X8 ET24, 225/50s.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is correct and maybe there is a good reason why a two piece barrel can't have 1/2" added to either side instead 1" on the backside of the hub - don't know but cost would double at least so not much point. Pamp has a set of 3 piece style and spent a great deal of time and effort tracking down outer collars to get the stagger he wanted and they are gorgeous. No cutting necessary that way.

I'm refinishing a set of style 42 and wanted 9" for the rear but they are very rare and no doubt pricey - adding the 1" to the inside is an affordable option at $550 to do a pair but the lips would remain the same as the fronts and require 10mm spacers and new lugs. Still considering but probably stay with 8" at all four corners.

showpicphp_zps1e8bc87e.jpg

Decoupe,

Here's your staggered 42s, but the're 18s. I've never ever seen these in a staggered configuration before and they are new in the box!!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/pa...staggered-style-42-wheels-mint-condition.html

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Style 42's

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!! Get behind me Satan!!!!

Thank God they are 18" or I would have to buy them and then I'd have two sets to get rid of later. The staggered 8/9 x 17" are as big as I would go - some sidewall is necessary or I would shake the car apart. But they are gorgeous. And I wouldn't have to finish wet sanding my set before I clear coat them.

But thanks for thinking of me.

Doug

pamp

Reaction score
Wheels

Those would look very nice on the E39....seems like a good deal. Too bad my budget is blown for the time being.

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Do I really need longer lugs for the style 5's?

So the coupe is at the body shop getting the front fenders rolled for the new set of BBS 17x8 ET20 style 5's and they call me after test fitting the rims saying that the original lugs aren't long enough to safely mount them. He says that I'll need new longer lugs (which is apparently a PITA on the E9's right?).

Has anyone else heard of this problem with the style 5's?

Those with style 5's mounted please share your words of wisdom and if you've had any problems using the original lugs/lug nuts.

Thanks in advance.