Next insane hobby - wood boat

I've always wanted a wooden boat for the lake here. Specifically a Riva however Stancraft are are made here in Coeur D'Alene and if you have a Stancraft you are either James Bond, a movie star or a sports figure. I've seen Wayne Gretzky's here at the Pro Am, John Elway's, and others on the lake and they are amazing to say the least.

When I looked into a Chris Craft or similar, what I found was typical now for finding reputable vintage car restorers'. They are very hard to find. Hagadone runs a nice operation but $$$. Then one of the guys that started with Hagadone with his father restoring the wooden boats around here, he said they basically need to be gone through EVERY YEAR and the wait just to get in with these guys is ridiculous, no guarantee he can even get to the maintenance needed every year.

I hope that is a different scenario where you live and the 3M coating or whatever works as promised because even a fiberglass boat is a big expense here every year. At least you can use yours year round. 5-months here and everyone knows the initial expense is just the beginning. Keep us updated on your experience with this boat. It sure is cool looking and I am envious, but not of the maintenance. Cheers -GB
I bought this from Couer d"Alene - and Hagadone was the seller on his behalf. It was restored by Wood Boat Endeavor there as well. You're correct on all of the above, time will tell if it makes or breaks my spirit! I kinda know what to expect maintenance-wise, and am happy to do it-just not woodwork but I think there is someone locally here that can help with that. Right now I have all the brightwork removed and in my living room for polishing and I am going through everything on the boat before it goes in the water, hopefully next month when it is cooler.

Back