Nice Bavaria on BaT

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I haven’t seen too many E3’s in Riviera. To me, it is a great color on an E3. Almost like some of the modern pastel-ish colors that are in vogue right now including new BMW’s. This looks like a very nice survivor. I haven’t totally gone through all the pics yet but on the surface looks like a great car to pick up and take in whatever direction you want. Prices are softening quite a bit it seems in certain vintage markets. This will be a good tell if I am correct in that assumption. This may be a good pick up for someone as I think it will hit reserve if a fair offer/bid is given. If I didn’t live in the snow I would think about picking this up. Riviera on E9’s looks nice as well and you don’t see E9’s in Riviera very often either.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After going through all the pics, video’s, and even taking into account a back East car, this does look really solid. Hopefully someone on here picks her up.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree; will be interesting to watch and see the sale price. As usual, quite nice up top; cool colour, nice interior, and looks like look a strong survivor. However for me the undersides are THE indicator. Looks like several leaks and old maybe original bushings. It seems, most people don't pay attention to this area of cars and maybe address stuff only when needed. Even a pressure wash or a dryice blast and a 'waxoil' or equivalent treatment would get paid back plus.

IMHO

Cheers,
Bill

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree; will be interesting to watch and see the sale price. As usual, quite nice up top; cool colour, nice interior, and looks like look a strong survivor. However for me the undersides are THE indicator. Looks like several leaks and old maybe original bushings. It seems, most people don't pay attention to this area of cars and maybe address stuff only when needed. Even a pressure wash or a dryice blast and a 'waxoil' or equivalent treatment would get paid back plus.

IMHO

Cheers,
Bill
I agree that it appears to be a very nice survivor. However, these shots indicate to me that it has probably had a repaint at some point. I don't think BMW would have gotten overspray on the undercarriage....

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 3.26.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 3.25.33 PM.png

Also the front seats are probably too nice to be original after 50 years and 100,000 miles....

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 3.28.36 PM.png

Not a big deal, however, and the seller doesn't represent it as original.

This is one of the 4 BaT cars I'm tracking right now (just for fun ;)) . I know that bidding tends to go fairly slow after the 2nd day or so until the last couple of hours, but all these I'm tracking are going super slow. Could it be the collector car market is softening along with the rest of the economy?

Last edited:

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree that it appears to be a very nice survivor. However, these shots indicate to me that it has probably had a repaint at some point. I don't think BMW would have gotten overspray on the undercarriage....

View attachment 148941

View attachment 148946

Also the front seats are probably too nice to be original after 50 years and 100,000 miles....

View attachment 148943

Not a big deal, however, and the seller doesn't represent it as original.

This is one of the 4 BaT cars I'm tracking right now (just for fun ;)) . I know that bidding tends to go fairly slow after the 2nd day or so until the last couple of hours, but all these I'm tracking are going super slow. Could it be the collector car market is softening along with the rest of the economy?

Sold for $25.5. I would have thought closer to $30 (but then I'm an E3 owner ;)). Maybe the economy and/or the time of year?
....thats 35K CAD! Seems pretty high but it does look very nice. I'm curious to know what a 5 speed conversion, a clean bottom (LOL!), and an upgraded interior like Recaros does to the price and or interest.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd guess a 5 speed would help.

A clean bottom may be either a plus or a minus. Attracts some buyers, but scares off others that feel it is a cover up.

Aftermarket seats, probably a minus. The original seats are not very comfortable compared to new cars, but there are few that drive these cars enough that they would notice and it is a big departure from the stock look.

Highest price one on BaT...$64.5 4 speed, dirty bottom, stock seats

2nd highest price...$61.1 5 speed, clean bottom, stock seats

3rd highest price...$38.3 4 speed, clean bottom, stock seats

4th highest price... 4 speed, dirty bottom, stock seats

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score

A clean bottom may be either a plus or a minus. Attracts some buyers, but scares off others that feel it is a cover up.

Aftermarket seats, probably a minus. The original seats are not very comfortable compared to new cars, but there are few that drive these cars enough that they would notice and it is a big departure from the stock look.

Hi Dick,
It would interesting to see what people think. Personally, I like the look and comfort of Recaros. Had stock leather seats in a 3.0s and they were not as comfortable as Recaros but looked nice. Had Recaros in a '71 2002 and in my current '73 bavaria.

Regards
Bill

IMG_3186.JPG

P1010441.JPG

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Dick, slight correction, the 2nd highest price was mine and it had a stock factory 4-speed that wasn't even rebuilt (only thing that wasn't really). I prefer the 4-speeds for mountain driving and originality. Didn't do a lot of long-haul freeway driving and when I did, the higher revs didn't seem to bother me or the motor and the traffic usually prevented long stretches of over 80mph driving.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, slight correction, the 2nd highest price was mine and it had a stock factory 4-speed that wasn't even rebuilt (only thing that wasn't really). I prefer the 4-speeds for mountain driving and originality. Didn't do a lot of long-haul freeway driving and when I did, the higher revs didn't seem to bother me or the motor and the traffic usually prevented long stretches of over 80mph driving.
My bad. I got the car right, but the transmission wrong. In any case, a beautiful E3 :love:

BTW I agree with you about the 4 speed. I think in most cases for our collector cars the original 4 speed is just fine.