No E9 only meeting in USA / BMW Cs registry ?

feri

Reaction score
Hello,

2 questions in one thread :)

1. Why are there no E9 only, big bmw meetings in the USA ? I mean there are dozens of coucours, general bmw meetings (with lots of e30, e36, etc), where there are some e9, but I don't know why the massive meetings with 50-100 e9 bmw (and only e9) disappered. Correct me but in the 90's there were some such big e9 meetings, right ?

I guess i might ask : why there are no USA BMW meeting which is concentrate on only one modell, like E21, E28, E3, E23, etc ?

2. What is the current state of Art's BMW CS registry ? Is it alive ? Are they still making the CS registry magazine ? Are they still organizing e9 meetings ?

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
My guess is there might be somewhere between 50-100 coupes left in the entire US. I think it would be difficult to get them all together in the same place for an event. In the 80's and into the early 90's coupe events were quite commonplace. As you can well imagine; years ago there were many more E9's on the road. People used them as daily drivers.

The reason you see events so well attended by e30's and e36's is quite simple. Those cars are clearly more contemporary and the production numbers of those particular models were staggering when compared to the E9.

The CS Registry did sponsor an East Coast Coupe fest which was always well attended, but my feeling is many of those cars are no longer on the road. The last one I can remember was at Oktoberfest 2001 in New Hampshire. The CS Registry still has somewhat of a following, but I'm not quite sure whether Art is still publishing a newsletter.

If you want to see a nice gathering of coupes and live on the east coast, I'd suggest going to an event like Limerock, which incidentally is next Sunday. Last year, I believe there were 6-8 coupes on the concours field and several others in the parking area. In my eyes that was an incredible turnout of coupes.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
If there are only 50-100 left, then about 10-15 of them are in the Phila-Bucks County., Pa., area....which is good for us!
The CS Registry has had minimal activity lately. Last week there were 4-5 entries but all summer the activity has been basically nothing. One wonders if Art is having a recurrence of his serious health problems....

chicane

Reaction score
My guess is there might be somewhere between 50-100 coupes left in the entire US.

I would think that there are a few more than that. What makes you think there are only 50-100 coupes?

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's a "guess".....like guessing the number of beans in a jar. Could be more...could be less.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would guess more like 500+. That would only an average of 10 per state. :cool:

chicane

Reaction score
I would guess more like 500+. That would only an average of 10 per state. :cool:

That would seem a lot more realistic. I would even guess a little more, possibly 800-1000. 50-100 would be in the ultra rare category. There are more Tuckers than that.

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tucker only produced a total of 51 vehicles. My "guess" is there are much fewer survivors.

With regards to Art, I'll try and contact his son Eric to find out his status and let you know.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only time I see coupes gathered is at Lime Rock, as Michael mentioned, and at Greenwich every now and then, and the New Hope Auto Show. Also, Jonathan Blanc/Delaware Valley BMWCCA chapter has organized a Spring and Fall rally the last few years in and around Bucks County that usually draws out a few coupes.

Coming from the Porsche and Ferrari clubs of America, I'd have to say that it appears to be a lot tougher to organize a coupe event. Granted the cars are scarcer, and maybe distance is a factor, but I wish there were more opportunities to meet other coupe owners and see their cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Art and Numbers in that order

I too am concerned about the state of Art. I have emailed him and gotten no response. Twice! As a card carrying memeber of this group and the CS Registry, oops, we don't have cards anymore, electronic signitures suffice, how quaint to have paper, but I digress.

Bill is right, there are 10-15 coupes within a 100 mile radius of us. If it had not rained the day of the New Hope PA car show we would have had five +. As it was we had two coupes and a shockingly original 1975 2002 with about 75K on the odometer. People who are blessed to see Roger Jones' '02 feel like they have been transported back to the '70's.

Roger also has a First Place CSi, a 2001? M5 and a 90? e30 M3. I am trying to get him to join me at a SCDA Driver School at a new track in South Jersey on Sept 15. I will be taking my CSi. If you are reading this Roger, it's time to register.

But I digress. A couple years ago I decided to try and duplicate the original CS Registry badges. Immediately over 60 CS members signed up and sent checks. I think we ended up with over 70 badges and the Chinese, of course, who else, did lapel pins for a buck or two more. They sent a bag full so if anyone is interested in a lapel pin let me know. That is if your have read this far.

Finally, The Buckingham car show is Sunday Sept. 20. We are hoping for at least 8!! coupes, plus Roger's 2002, plus a '73 Bavaria.

It is not too late to register. Google buckinghamautoshow.org or something like that.

I yield to the next poster. Sorry to make this so long,

Steve ONeill

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I tried to organize an east coast coupe fest a few years ago but could not make it happen. Distance, personal schedules, weather all took a toll. We did meet at Lime Rock, I could attend but not drive my car as knee surgery prevented clutch operation. I think weather is the big deterant up here in New England. I hate to take my coupe out in the rain and we have had 3 rain-free weekends since Memorial Day (including this weekend).

The CS registry webside shows pictures of the Mt Agamenticus Maine Coupe Fest. I would love to see that happen again. I am sure it is driving distance from many parts of NE and could likely draw 20 CS Coupes. MAybe we can look for covered parking for evenings? Maybe we can ask Mario to come for a tech session as he has worked on and restored a lot of CS beauties. (See Duane Sword's Alpina and Tod's dark blue 2800CS)

I see 3-4 CS coupes at the Bav Auto Show n Shine each October. Mario at Vintage Sports in Bow NH takes care of about 9 CS Coupes and probably more!

Who has the time and inclination? Who would attend??

BluE9

Reaction score
If there are only 50-100 left, then about 10-15 of them are in the Phila-Bucks County., Pa., area....which is good for us!
The CS Registry has had minimal activity lately. Last week there were 4-5 entries but all summer the activity has been basically nothing. One wonders if Art is having a recurrence of his serious health problems....

and one 2800CS in Princeton as well..It's my DD :) with 60K on the clock..

DSCN0867.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BLUE9!!!

Lovely DD. Where have you been hiding? Are you registered for the Buckingham PA show on Sunday Sept. 20? Although I am not fond of car shows on a weekly basis, I have been attending Buckingham since its inception 10 years ago. And I go to New Hope in August since it was resurrected a couple years ago. Only two.

If you want, contact me on email, [email protected] or call 215.862.5371

Steve ONeill

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Labor Day at LimeRock

I'm looking over my shoulder because of ongoing care-giving issues, and can only cross my fingers about attending LimeRock.

We had a great turn out last year, and I would expect there could possibly be up to 15 or more coupes in attendance...?

Duane, Len, Michael, Tod and John, etc. are you guys going? If so, are you doing any of the week-end events?

If I can't make it, somebody be sure to snap pics....

Chuck

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
A good guess would be about 500-750 road worthy CS/CSi's and probably 75-100 CSL's left here in the US. With these numbers, good examples probably constitute 35 percent and 15 percent of them being super nice cars and with the remaining 50 percent of the coupes being basically projects.

In the Coupefest heydays back in the late 80's to mid 90's, there were usually 75 to 100 coupes in attendance. In the late 1990's, the exclusive Coupefest was incorporated into the more mundane Bmwfest, this event became less fun and interesting and interest thus waned soon thereafter for me as well as others, evident the the limited number of coupes in attendance of recent years.

There have been attempts throughout the last decade from some to resuscitate the CS Coupefest, but through various reasons, none have come to fruition.