Not a BMW Racer??? But Still A Lot Of Fun!!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Along with BMWs and MBs my father's dealership sold NSUs. So when I started racing he suggested I find the holy grail of NSUs, a 1200 TTS. I found one for sale in NJ and went with my friend Peter P. to collect it and bring it back to MN.

I ran it in a few auto crosses in the fall, setting several FTDs, and then raced it on the Ice in the IIRA series in 1969 and 1970. I never got a chance to race it on a track because I sold it and bought a Mazda RX2 to race in 1972.

The question of how well these cars go has always rattled around in the back of my empty skull, so I decided to take steps to find out before I was too old to care.

Here are some pictures of my latest acquisition. It is a 1970 1200 TTS. It has a OH cam 4 cylinder air cooled engine, sitting on a 4 speed transmission. And no, I will not be doing any bump drafting with that oil cooler hanging out there.

I found the car in the Netherlands, and it is on its way via ship to Seattle. No Corvair jokes please.

Stay tuned for a full report!

engine.jpg
IMG-20180302-WA0000 1.jpg
IMG-20180302-WA0001.jpg
nose.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What cool about this car is when you are done with the racing day, you can just put it back in the trunk of your daily driver and head home.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This car looks amazing!

Thanks, Markos. They are neat cars- 1500 lbs and about 120 HP at the crank, so they go pretty well. They have a swing axel rear suspension with trailing arms, much like a BMW. I'll post some shots and videos when we get it on track. It is due to arrive in Seattle in early May. Coming by slow boat through the Panama Canal.