not again?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Actually not sure what I'm going to do with this one but might as well start a thread. Picked this one up from a forum member. I'm stating the price paid because I think that information is important to our group (16.5K). It was shipped down on open carrier from Chicago and arrived last night. I took a chance on the rust condition because there were things that I noticed that indicated that the rust may not be as bad as one would expect. No answer on that yet. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image52.jpeg
    image52.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 343
  • tundra.jpg
    tundra.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 305
  • tundra1.jpg
    tundra1.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 317
  • tundra2.jpg
    tundra2.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 325
  • tundra3.jpg
    tundra3.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 323
  • tundra4.jpg
    tundra4.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 312
  • tundra5.jpg
    tundra5.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 315

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More shots, I finally got her into the cave and it took quite a few folks to push her as I think the brakes were a little locked up. Still have not gotten too deep but my new scope camera should prove its worth (or not) this evening. I am encouraged however, as I have seen rocker covers completely rotted out and very clean rockers behind the covers. This can happen when the seal at the top of the cover forward of the door allows guck and spooge to enter the in between space and is additionally indicated by an attempt to seal the rocker cover at the seam, then looking below where the actual rocker begins you can see solid definition of the metal. Now, this is not fool-proof but was enough of an indication for me to take a chance on the purchase. There are some very cool things about the car- it came with some good documentation on the PO's, the tires are like new and rather difficult to find (I think) the wood is close to perfect as is the dash, the bumpers are almost perfect. The headliner is perfect and everything seems to be very original. Again, I'm sure I'll find gremlins. There was some patchwork on the drivers fender by the strut cap oh, and it does not run :-( Yet :)

If your wondering who the hand model is on the rocker shot it is no other than our very own Ed Zinz; I just want to be sure I credit the other actors:)

Attachments

• tundra6.jpg
    tundra6.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 304
  • tundra7.jpg
    tundra7.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 318
  • tundra8.jpg
    tundra8.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 282
  • tundra9.jpg
    tundra9.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 295
  • tundra10.jpg
    tundra10.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 289

Ron Plantz

Ron
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seller was pulling together some interior pieces. How did that go? Do you have pretty much a whole car to start with?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After examining her there's some good and bad. I'm working with a potential buyer who has the shop and experience to do the job correctly but it's not a money-maker for me, that's for sure. It really is a beautiful car and totally restore-able just allot of work and I'm getting old :-(
The tough part is the rockers. I scoped them with my new magic wand which takes a while to learn how to read (kinda like an MRI) and the center pieces were like new in some areas but the outers should be replaced and the doors could use some new metal. there needs to be some patching around the wings but I am not sure I would even remove them as I think the W&N patch panels can be correctly put in place without removing too much.

More pictures to follow, and I hope this little thread helps folks buy correctly if nothing else.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
More details and pics of/from your magic wand. I tried searching but my only hit was a rechargeable purple vibrator.

My $30 amazon USB powered scope died. :(

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
More details and pics of/from your magic wand. I tried searching but my only hit was a rechargeable purple vibrator.

My $30 amazon USB powered scope died. :(

Let's not get into Peter's rechargeable purple vibrator.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't think you can do much better for $16.5k this day and age, but ya, hard to MAKE money on these cars.

Outer rockers not too bad a job. It's all the inner stuff that adds up $$$ quickly.

And I agree, if front wing/fender patches can be done, do it. Very hard to remove the front fenders unscathed and replicate the factory spot welds.

How's the rest of the engine compartment? And the spare tire well and behind the glovebox/fusebox doors?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW, love the color.

As we seen on BAT, it brings a lot of money that color (forgot the name now; Turkis?).

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, Just took the old girl out for a spin, she needs lots of fine tuning. Are there any Amazon Grun coups out there?

Attachments

• getting there.jpg
    getting there.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 255
  • getting there1.jpg
    getting there1.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 254

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And there are allot more better coups out there than mine even though I've poured more money down this well than I ever should have :)

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have 2 bookmarked from the registry that had pics, because I was trying to figure out whether I thought there was a real difference among the mid-green BMW colors.
They're here
https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/index.php?page=item&id=4537
https://bmwcsregistry.org/list/index.php?page=item&id=4769

Honestly, my Jadegrun looks like any of these depending on the sunlight, but it has had some manner of re-spray, so who knows. It isn't as green as profile pic, and it darkened a bit with some cautious paint correction. I concluded my retinal cones aren't sufficiently sensitive to easily distinguish among Agave (71), Jadegrun (78), and Amazongrun(76) in real life, unless they have some flake. Mr. Gortz's is probably a more reliable example of Jadegrun than mine. His paint's about 28 years old always garaged. This a good pic of his car with different light hitting it (ignore the POS in the background):

upload_2019-5-17_16-34-29.png

Edit: Had wrong link on one.

Last edited:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be collecting pieces for the next few years :-(
I hope to take my lemon and make lemonade in that I will sign up for a welding class at the local community college and start collecting parts. Totally deeper than I wanted to go but who knows what I'll learn to do. Mamma always told me to look at the glass as half full (but there's some crusty brown stuff at the bottom).

This one helps me see past the rust :)

Attachments

• getting there2.jpg
    getting there2.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 245
  • rustinrockers.jpg
    rustinrockers.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 214

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be collecting pieces for the next few years :-(
I hope to take my lemon and make lemonade in that I will sign up for a welding class at the local community college and start collecting parts. Totally deeper than I wanted to go but who knows what I'll learn to do. Mamma always told me to look at the glass as half full (but there's some crusty brown stuff at the bottom).

This one helps me see past the rust :)

I’m certain that you will beat me to the punch! :D

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Peter-I have an outer drivers side rocker I will sell you at 50% of new at W&N plus shipping. I ordered it a few weeks ago but with the help of a borescope I've determined that I only need to do the front fender patch and a little work on the A pillar support-the majority of the rockers on the drivers side is fine on my car.

Given the condition of your outer, I suspect you may be in for removing the outer rocker, then the A and B pillar supports, then the intermediate, then patching the inner rocker and working your way back out with a new intermediate, new A and B and outer. That's what I did on my passenger side. Though these do all rust a little differently so it will be interesting to see what you find.

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/my-rocker-repair-replacement.25146/page-3

My thread needs an update of the work I've done in the last few weeks. Was on hold for over a year.