Odd sound from driveline - videos added

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just listened to your videos. Could your emergency brake be improperly adjusted so that it is on just a little bit all the time?
Hi there

THX!

I have used the e brake to bring the car to a rolling stop; the sound I get is classic pad to brake; a quiet ssssshhhhhh sound. When the brake is released that sound goes away.

I just tried thicker gear oil thinking was excessive tranny noise due to thin RedLine MT90. Tried good ole Lucas 75w-90 and nope...not tranny noise; at least not related to oil o_O

I'll continue to check the simpler things. I have a new centre bearing on order from Mesa; Jim suggested a centre bearing for the E34; a lil heavier duty. I will also try a different quibo (smaller diameter); there are no signs of rubbing but maybe...

Bill

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was assembling my car after changing my rear subframe when I noticed my guibo was split. I am changing to an M5 guibo in my car.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

UPDATE!

I have reassembled the driveline after,
- shaking the hell out of it looking for places where things may bump
- replacing the diff mount,
- replacing centre support bearing
- replacing driveshaft bushing
-and looking for any clearance issues or loose bits.

And I have the same sound. I truly thought it was the centre support bearing because it did have some movement in the bearing itself though it was new.

My next move is to have a friend who is a very good shade tree mechanic listen and diagnose. The next move after that is off to a shop in town that specializes in old European cars. Bert helped me with my Land Rover resto.

As it is a sound from a rotating something, an interim step may be to give things a very very thin coat of grease, go for a drive, and then inspect for signs of touching. I have very closely inspected every element of the underside and have not seen any signs of rubbing (i.e, polishing, rubber dust, rubbing, missing paint).

Again, any insights and advise are welcome :)

Honestly this has driven me nutz (no pun). My plan was to drive the bavaria lots including a few road trips. I have not been able to drive it at all except around the neighbourhood looking for the cause of this sound. Oh well...an acquaintance once told me when I was beaming after 'finishing' a 2002 resto. He said, 'thats kinda boring; what ya going to do now?; I like to think there's a transient 2% of old cars that need work; this way theres something to fiddle with'. Well...maybe thats why we do what we do...thats why we love these old cars...fun to wok on, fun to drive, look great, a nice way to spend some time. Nonetheless frustrating when I had expectations of nice cruises to the cabin, mtns, prairies. I'll get it figured. Thx for letting me rank a bit, Forum!

All the best,
Bill

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bill, you will find the source. Just taking longer than you want. But think of how sweet your Bavaria will be after you eliminate that infuriating sound? I mean, by then you will have tightened, lubricated, replaced, adjusted so many links in the chain of what makes a car run well, that you will enjoy many, many months of trouble free motoring. At least I sure hope so! ;) Good luck!

bavaria

Reaction score
That sounds kinda like gearbox noise. Can you get a “chassis ear” or a similar tool hooked up to
listen to the gearbox in dynamic operation? Or maybe a light hand on the shifter during accel/decel?

americium

Reaction score
Perhaps mount a GoPro or similar in various positions? That could grab sound and visual. A good strong magnet mount would make it easy.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A friend has something like the ChassisEAR and it works great. Doesn't always help, but most of the time it does.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well...the list of possibilities has shrunk down to 1. The transmission. The growling sound is likely bearings on the main or lay shaft. The sound 'raises its unearthly head' during acceleration and deceleration in all gears. So its time to decide to rebuild it or replace with another Getrag 265 5 spd. I am OK with this outcome; I plan to have the car for a long time and plan to continue working on the car (transient 2% philosophy). I have addressed the majority already but have plans for window and door seals and stronger engine for example.

Thank you again Forum for the support!

Any one selling a Getrag 265??

Regards,
Bill

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If it does it in all gears it would be on the main shaft. If it doesn't do it in fourth gear it would be the lay shaft. Usually.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sort of good news/bad news, but glad you finally nailed this one Bill. These old cars can be somewhat frustrating at times, but your "transient 2% philosophy" is a great way to think about these kinds of problems that are sure to crop up for all of us.

I had a similar noise in the T5 in my V8 MGB. I am not talented enough to dig into it myself but I found a guy in Portland that knows these old 5 speeds well. It turned out to be an improper (too loose) preload on the tapered roller bearings on both the main shaft and countershaft. New bearings and a proper reassembly fixed it right up. Hopefully parts are still available for your Getrag. Inspecting and fixing what you have might be more of a sure thing than trying another used trans.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sort of good news/bad news, but glad you finally nailed this one Bill. These old cars can be somewhat frustrating at times, but your "transient 2% philosophy" is a great way to think about these kinds of problems that are sure to crop up for all of us.

I had a similar noise in the T5 in my V8 MGB. I am not talented enough to dig into it myself but I found a guy in Portland that knows these old 5 speeds well. It turned out to be an improper (too loose) preload on the tapered roller bearings on both the main shaft and countershaft. New bearings and a proper reassembly fixed it right up. Hopefully parts are still available for your Getrag. Inspecting and fixing what you have might be more of a sure thing than trying another used trans.

Hi Dick

THX! I think its boring to think these cars are ever done. The transient 1-2% is a nice way to be able to tinker or get into something deep. Its a moving average :)

I am sure there are good tranny shops in Edmonton; I just don't know of them. I do trust Bert at The Sports Car Centre; he did the engine and gear boxes on my Land Rover resto :) Labor however adds up quickly and some parts are hard to come by. Replacing with another good used one is certainly an option.

All the best,
Bill

bavaria

Reaction score
Having owned an e3 with a g265 conversion I can say it is definitely worth doing
particularly if you plan on doing a lot of interstate driving. That being said, g265
boxes in good shape are not cheap these days. In either case (repair or replace)
Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic (see link below) knows these boxes very well and
has been working on them for decades. Good to hear that you have finally pinpointed the problem!

Metric Mechanic

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there
Thx for the support. I am dealing on a worked on 265/6.
Interesting and to be absolutely certain, I used a 'chassis ear' to listen to the 3 main things that rotate on the driveline (gearbox, centre bearing, and diff). Switching through the channels of the chassis ear, it was obvious the gearbox is the culprit. The (rough) sound from the gearbox mic is the same rough sound heard while the car is idling (clutch engaged, in neutral) or being driven. The sounds from the centre bearing and diff were smooth and consistent. Videos and pics attached for interest.

Regards,
Bill

1633291142900.jpeg

Xrim0BkaTfiemUEiXs2K3A.jpg

1633291203105.jpeg

1633291244607.jpeg

Last edited: