Oil canister BMW roundel stencil

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having a stencil made out of the BMW roundel that was originally imprinted on the oil canisters on some (all?) of E3/E9's. The artwork is on this document:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1QYF5vIO2Q-ZTQ4NjJiZjgtZmNjNi00MWYwLThmNGUtNTlhNzI5Y2FhMDk4&hl=en_US&pli=1

An online stencil producer (Stencil Planet) will produce it. In order to not have interruptions in the circles and or letters ( so as to support all parts of the stencil together), the stencil needs to be the sticky kind, which means one time use. I'm finding this to be a much easier route than the suggested rubber stamp method. Spray painting or powder coating through the stencil will be far easier than rubber stamping.

The setup charge is $29.50 and each stencil is $10. I need 3 myself and likely will order 4. I think the price is reasonable as it is but if anyone needs one, let me know and maybe we can amortize the $29.50 between all of us and even get a quantity discount if we get enough ordered.

Let me know of your interest by posting here.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Count me in. I just ordered the powder coat to refinish mine. Good timing. Will this stencil stand up to the heat and be appliable over powder coat?

Bob.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Luis,

Count me in as well. Were original canisters an orangey/red? Most these days are now bare aluminum.

Chris

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, orangey red is spot on. Update on price. First stencil is $10 but subsequent ones are $7.50.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the one on the NK powder coated with a shade my powder coating guy had that was a very good match. I have no color name or code to give you, however. It seems the reds and red/oranges are fairly common for guys who do automotive powder coating with several to choose from.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Even though I just bought a spin-on adapter, count me in so I can restore my canister.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bumping to alert anyone else who might want in. Would like to order Monday.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Count me in also. I'm away on vacation but can alsopost images of the original red/orange color when I return (if necessary).

Thanks!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is a little more red than orange in person, appears more orange in photos:

Can3.jpg

Can2.jpg

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys the stencils are here. They look very well made. You remove the backing at an acute angle, as parallel as possible (don't lift up) to the vinyl so that all the pieces remain on the paper backing you see on the picture. Otherwise the little 'holes' of the letter B, or the inner circle will lift off with the backing. Will make sense when you see it. Total price including shipping will be $11.00. Please PM me with your mailing address.

P1020274.JPG

siscobmw

Reaction score
luis You have a PM....
dequincey thank you for the originali oil housing picture....I am guessing what else is printed in the original housing...I see other words there....My cannister was very damaged by battery acid and was powder coated in black...
Francesco

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gruppe spray can purchase

I am going to take my original oil cannister to get it paint matched and put into acylic enamel spray cans. My local auto paint store here matched my olive/dark green air cleaner dead on so they will get a crack at this. They will cost approx $22 per can (plus shipping), I am offering to the gruppe here to get a can made and sent to you. If the first attempt at matching is not right I will have them redo and subsidize the test can into the gruppe purchase so the per can price might go up a buck or two. Sound off if you'd like a can.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

there are some restrictions on how you can ship spray paint. you might want to inquire ... i believe it is ground only ... and not everybody will ship it.

scott