Oil canister BMW roundel stencil

Final Product

I had my canister powder coated, $20, the red came out pretty well. I applied a stencil from Luis and it is perfect. Since I have a top bolt mount the can was already embossed so I had to place the roundel next to that.

Attachments

• DSCN2265.jpg
    DSCN2265.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 236
Chris that looks phenomenal!

BTW, I should be getting some Purolator stencils in soon. Those will have small bridges in some of the characters since they are very small. I feel that the bridges, or gaps in paint, will be able to be hand-painted in with a small brush following spray application.

That looks amazing Chris. I bought a powder coater and some Orangey Red Powder, but for $20... why would I bother.

Missed Opportunity

nice job Chris. Looks like I should have bought a stencil from Luis!
Since I now have a 3.5 L block from an '85 635CSi, i am not sure if I have that sort of oil cannister though... I will know when my car comes back from Vintage Sports.

Very Nice Chris. Just wondering about the finish on the housing and bracket in the shot. I am assuming those are clear coated after Bead Blasting. I just Blasted those same parts on my Coupe and am weighing my options with what to put on them. Was thinking of trying a satin clear powder or spray clear

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the discrepancy between pretty esoteric originality (e.g. oil filter canister color and decal) and wildly non-original modifications (engines, transmissions, wheels, interior trim) in the e9 world puzzling?

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a stickler for factory originality, and my coupe is as unmodified as one can get, but I sometimes wonder if this wide range of acceptance within the BMW community is what holds back potential value among non-cognoscienti. Coming from both the Ferrari and Porsche worlds, where originality is key and usually favored over condition, I can't help but wonder...

Bob,

Just Eastwood Alumabast, it has stayed pretty clean after two years. Might not be the case if I had gas and oil leaks though. I would think a clear powder coat would also be nice.

Stenciled my canister

I finally applied the stencils to my canister. The Purolator side still has some remains of adhesive around some of the letters that I'm waiting until the paint fully cures before I try to fully wipe it off.

P1040342.JPG

P1040340.JPG

Engine is work in progress
P1040346.JPG

Very Nice Luis. I was considering replacing my freeze plugs. Were they painted or plated like yours when the car was new? Outstanding work!

Bob,

Here's the "before" picture. They were not painted from the factory. The museum engine has them yellow plated and it makes sense since it a more durable finish.
P1020372.JPG

Stan, I had the Purolator stencil made afterwards. It's not as user-friendly as the roundel since some of the letters have bridges that need cutting out after application and the stencil material isn't vinyl so there can be some bleedthrough or adhesive residue as seen on my can. You can see it when you come next week.

The oil filter canister I was going to use has raised lettering for the BMW logo and the Purolator information. Yours appears smooth.

Do I need a different canister to start with?

Yes they're smooth, I believe the raised ones came later without one or both stencils.

The oil filter canister I was going to use has raised lettering for the BMW logo and the Purolator information. Yours appears smooth.

Do I need a different canister to start with?

Last edited:
Back