Oil Temp Gauge installation (warning: Bavaria inside!)

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Just a little documentation of putting a discrete oil temp gauge into my BMW E3 (bavaria)

IMG_0723_zps0d24cb3d.jpg

IMG_0724_zps7d754f8a.jpg

IMG_0729_zps23d71fbb.jpg

IMG_0730_zpsa5661fce.jpg

IMG_0731_zpsb76f6b96.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsef06200a.jpg

IMG_0733_zps24ae7b1a.jpg

IMG_0737_zpsdd1ba91a.jpg

IMG_0738_zps3314309d.jpg

IMG_0739_zpse7724771.jpg

IMG_0740_zps0492c3c4.jpg

IMG_0741_zps83b19342.jpg

IMG_0766_zpsc51301cf.jpg

IMG_0767_zpsf2c6aad5.jpg

IMG_0769_zps9998e20f.jpg

IMG_0770_zps1b295e50.jpg

IMG_0771_zps28f0b0ca.jpg

IMG_0772_zpsee12b428.jpg

IMG_0774_zps6f1a66f8.jpg

IMG_0775_zps5bcdf8f3.jpg

IMG_0777_zps0b51839d.jpg

IMG_0778_zpsa3064603.jpg

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Sorry about posting in the E9 section. I haven´t been to this forum for a few years so I didn´t notice that there is an E3 section by now. If a moderator would care to move this thread to the E3 section, I´d appreciate it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
nicely designed and performed

couple of questions:

- what is the grey mastik that you pour over the sensor in the oil fliter housing ?

- are you considering placing a red mark or you will guess when it is too hot ?

regards

and great to read from you again

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Hi Arsenico

yes, very nice to hear from you again as well.

They grey mastic I used on the instrument is a two-component putty by pattex
http://www.pattex.de/do-it-yourself...lebstoffe/reparaturkleber/repair-express.html

the grey stuff I used at the oil filter housing is JD Weld
http://www.jbweld.com/
(just a precaution, I did actually cut a 1/8 27 NPT thread into the housing and screwed the sensor in with Loctite 272)

as for a red area: no, I don´t think I´ll need it. I can´t imagine any situation where the oil will actually overheat that wouldn´t be indicated by the water termperature or the oil pressure (idiot light) before.

I just want the oil temp gauge to make sure the oil is up to operating temperature before I floor the throttle.

I did do some calibrating runs and then reset the needle to be almost vertical when the operating temperature is reached. That way it´s easy to judge and keep an eye on.

Some more testing has shown that the oil temp (at least on my carburated 3.0) is very stable once warm and even longer higher speed autobahn runs (limited for now because of the winter tires) does not let the oil temp rise noticably. The M30 seems to have a pretty bullet proof oiling system.

So if the needle ever does wander to the right, I´ll probably investigate long before any imaginary red aread would ever be touched...

Bwana

Reaction score
Nicely done! Why didn't you glue the original oil temperature face plate onto the tachometer face like in the third picture?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Because the writing on the typeface was "whiter" than that on the revcounter and because I would have had to trim it at the bottom and because there were small cutouts at the side of it that would have looked odd.

In short: I looked at it and didn´t like it. Besides I really don´t need the scale (for oil temp). As with the water temp gauge: all I need is for the needle to be upright and the engine is fine. Lower: keep my foot in check: Much higher: slow down...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice work, looks like a DQ project, even the fingers look similar. Only diffreence is DQ parts are always shiny clean.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
DQ works to a much higher standard. not only when it comes to cleanliness of the parts.

But hey, there´s got to be all kinds. I hugely respect DQ and his work on his E9 (and the documentation), cudos to him.

Maybe it´s an E3 vs E9 thing. My parts are dirty (and my fingernails), but I bet my E3 gets driven more and under much more adverse circumstances (daily driver even through winter in rainy and snowy Germany vs. sunny Spain and carefull care at the knowing hands of DQ.)

:mrgreen:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ works to a much higher standard. not only when it comes to cleanliness of the parts.

But hey, there´s got to be all kinds. I hugely respect DQ and his work on his E9 (and the documentation), cudos to him.

Maybe it´s an E3 vs E9 thing. My parts are dirty (and my fingernails), but I bet my E3 gets driven more and under much more adverse circumstances (daily driver even through winter in rainy and snowy Germany vs. sunny Spain and carefull care at the knowing hands of DQ.)

:mrgreen:

ha, ha, ha

yes, your car is a strong bullet proof daily driver im deutschland, mine is a kind of a garage queen, if it rains she stays at home !

remember, this is nicht sunny spanien, this is das baskenland ! we probably have the highest rain ratio in europe

BTW, tierfreund is unbeatable in mechanics, brakes, suspensions, and so on, i still have to go through all that issues before i can reach him...

looking forward to an alt bier in the alt shumacher place in bolker strasse, but now my trips are unfortunately heading other countries different than beautiful germany

just some thechnical comments on performance and experience, yes the oil temp in my 3.0cs behaves very similar, it is more or less stable around 90 to 100deg.celsius, when water temp is between 80 to 90. then it goes up to 110 when full throttle for a longer time, and seldom goes lower than 90 even if i play relaxed driving

a very useful check, these additional gauges, together with oil pressure