Omg 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL golf yellow

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
So if new side, rear panels and fenders one has to assume they are the off the shelf repair panels and not the thin gauge CSL spec ones?
I don't want to sound like knot picking but for the purist that must hurt the value?
According to Mario Langsten, who did the body repair work on my CSL, some of the replacement fenders he has been receiving are pretty thin gauge, and on a scale weigh about the same as original CSL fenders. Wonder if this is true of replacement e9 body parts these days generally—that they are lighter than the original generic e9 parts.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
l

What do others think?
Seems like the big visual miss is the missing air dam (to my eyes). Like my old CSL, the chin spoiler has no bumper mount slots, so wouldn't this have definitely come from the factory with the dam? And the gap around the front kidney grill looks atrocious. The interior wood looks a couple shades dark as well. Pretty but there are a few items off. Love the color...

The carb CSL had no air dam and no bumper slots. This CSL has the bumper slots welded shut (pic 81). The nose must have been part of the replacement metal.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos isn't 2275363 an injected car? My 2275177 car was and I was under the impression we were well into the series 2, injected cars. I also know another car 2275447 that's a 3.2L Batmobile.

The carb CSL had no air dam and no bumper slots. This CSL has the bumper slots welded shut (pic 81). The nose must have been part of the replacement metal.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Markos isn't 2275363 an injected car? My 2275177 car was and I was under the impression we were well into the series 2, injected cars. I also know another car 2275447 that's a 3.2L Batmobile.

Sorry I wasn’t being clear. You stated that if the bumper slots were missing, an air dam was present. My point was that this isn’t necessarily true given that carb CSL’s had no air dam. I can’t say if all 2275’s had air dams. I have no idea. Yes 2275 CSL’s were injected.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 72 CSL has grey rubberised paint on the underside.
At the risk of being laughed at again thought that was factory spec based on what I was told and from examining my car.
That said, I remember it was really hard to source an equivalent for my restoration but was able to do so with some help from @Keshav. Perhaps these guys just didn't look hard enough?
Looking at the listing again I see a few more non-original issues here.
Wes, underside paint is khaki with a green tint, then sprayed with grey soft undercoat. This CSL has no undercoat but grey paint including wheel wells.

Reactions: Wes

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So Chris, are you saying that at some point in mid 73 the outer slots became standard on all CSLs and before that time, they weren't? (if a front bumper wasn't optioned)

Valance on chin has narrow outer slots which is mid-73 change so it was replaced.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonder why they didn’t post this pic in the BaT auction? :D I was misquoted as saying that nothing is missing. There are several things missing besides the tools. My point was that there isn’t anything terribly expensive that needs replacing.

I love it. Wish it was mine. :)

429FEA79-3E5D-4E6C-9495-3FDDB71B0A9B.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
bump!

I have no idea where this one is headed.
A3F4CBE1-E831-41BA-B5FB-B9CB9962339F.jpeg

83C963B4-DD7F-49D2-8355-40E522C336AF.jpeg

DB46A9E6-3DE6-44C5-AAC7-85A8347051F8.jpeg

BC56BFD2-3438-4FD4-A27B-34CA6F965769.jpeg

751929FA-81EE-4AA3-86DA-37DE53E1D6D5.jpeg

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. You start going through that list and the time and money required to get it right, starts to add up. The folks willing to spend the 220-240k for a CSL, want it 99% correct.

Yep, it needs too many little things to command a higher price

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love golf CSL's, particularly with the early/lightweight look. This car didn't get much emotion from me. It's like they ran out of "time". I'd say money but most of the corrections are low dollar details. I posted the pics above for a reason. The missing details of this CSL are present on nearly all BaT auctions of lesser e9. I'm not complaining. I would kill for this car. But at $180K RNM, finish the car! $100K is the foundation that gets you a rolling CSL. The rest you need to earn IMO.

Toolkit: Late model, wrong tools, missing tools
Front of Car: Wrong grille, wrong wiper color, two driver's side wipers
Trunk Roundel: Wrong badge, no badge pedestal, no pedestal gasket
Trunk: Seam sealer everywhere, particular shock towers, zinc bolts, odd wiring, no trunk seal
Door Panel: Missing white bolt cap, Missing lower aluminum trim, missing arm rest gasket, custom stitched pleats, custom ashtray inserts
Console: Missing rubber plugs in wood, wrong shift knob, wrong lighter, restitched console sides

Last edited: