Omg 1973 BMW 3.0 CSL golf yellow

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 72 CSL has grey rubberised paint on the underside.
At the risk of being laughed at again thought that was factory spec based on what I was told and from examining my car.
That said, I remember it was really hard to source an equivalent for my restoration but was able to do so with some help from @Keshav. Perhaps these guys just didn't look hard enough?
Looking at the listing again I see a few more non-original issues here.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some more info here......

Restoration: After the 2011 acquisition, the coupe was dismantled and restoration started. There are very many new parts (side panels, rear panels, fenders, all seals, stainless steel exhaust system, shock absorbers, Querlänker, all rubber parts, chrome wheel arches, as well as many accessories, etc.) present (amounting to over 20,000 CHF). All engine mounts, rocker arm shafts, etc. are new, cylinder head was pressed and is in order. Engine block was geborht and gehohnt with oversize piston (newly made GP clamp). Excellent, stainless steel base.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So if new side, rear panels and fenders one has to assume they are the off the shelf repair panels and not the thin gauge CSL spec ones?
I don't want to sound like knot picking but for the purist that must hurt the value?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hard to tell other than there is a definitive answer on exactly which panels were installed. Short of Csl thin gauge, this would be the next best option, better than patched up (depending on the extent of rust on the previous panels) fenders with filler to smoothen out the creases. Removing all the fenders (front and rears) is the only way to insure that the internal and hidden rust is attended to. So in that sense, a serious plus point.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hard to tell other than there is a definitive answer on exactly which panels were installed. Short of Csl thin gauge, this would be the next best option, better than patched up (depending on the extent of rust on the previous panels) fenders with filler to smoothen out the creases. Removing all the fenders (front and rears) is the only way to insure that the internal and hidden rust is attended to. So in that sense, a serious plus point.

I don't disagree, but given the defining feature of a CSL is weight I'd of thought that a deviation from factory spec that also removes one of the key features of this car must hurt value. For me having all of the lightweight panel work is as important as matching numbers motor and the alloy work.

What do others think?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like the big visual miss is the missing air dam (to my eyes). Like my old CSL, the chin spoiler has no bumper mount slots, so wouldn't this have definitely come from the factory with the dam? And the gap around the front kidney grill looks atrocious. The interior wood looks a couple shades dark as well. Pretty but there are a few items off. Love the color...

giannicsl

Reaction score
come sempre
Mi piace ripetermi
e i miei amici
questo 2275363
è difficile dire quanto sia puro in peso
il vero CSL leggero
è solo e solo il primo 169

questo perchè dopo l'iniezione csL anche se con tutte le caratteristiche del 169
avevano, invece, 20 kg in più per il solo elemento iniettore
questo 2275363
forse avrà tutto originale, tranne le 16 ruote
forse i pannelli luminosi, invece è bello rispetto a tanti CSL passati per puro e assoluto esempio di verità storica.

giannicsl

Reaction score
as always
I like to repeat to myself
and my friends
this 2275363
it's hard to say how pure it is in weight
the real lightweight CSL
it is only and only the first 169

this is because after the injection csL even if with all the characteristics of the 169
they had, however, 20 kg more for the injector element alone
this 2275363
maybe it will have everything original, except the 16 wheels
perhaps the light panels, however it is beautiful compared to many CSLs passed for pure and an absolute example of historical truth.

giannicsl

Reaction score
as always
I like to repeat to myself
and my friends
this 2275363
it's hard to say how pure it is in weight
the real lightweight CSL
it is only and only the first 169

this is because after the injection csL even if with all the characteristics of the 169
they had, however, 20 kg more for the injector element alone
this 2275363
maybe it will have everything original, except the 16 wheels
perhaps the light panels, however it is beautiful compared to many CSLs passed for pure and an absolute example of historical truth.
.. internal wheel arch not nice black,
trapezoid mirror yes, flag no

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ride height really looks egregious here - maybe lowering springs should have been considered? I'd have to think after a couple of hundred miles proper new springs and struts would have settled in. The incorrect kidney grille is a bad whiff, and painting the edge of it looks goofy (it doesn't seem to be a reflection of the body paint, but I could be wrong). Maybe they just didn't know the correct one or thought they could pass it off. On a separate note, our new-ish member vshamiryan is making a single handed effort to strengthen E9 values with two large bids on the current BaT e9 offerings. I'll assume that we'll see more of that. Thanks!

Last edited:

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh and I'm not buying the 'optical illusion' because of the 16" wheels and lower profile tires reasoning on the ride height.

giannicsl

Reaction score
guarda anche i passaruota
sono a mio parere aftermarket
troppo lungo
ancora più stretta
ho sbagliato?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
our new-ish member vshamiryan is making a single handed effort to strengthen E9 values with two large bids on the current BaT e9 offerings. I'll assume that we'll see more of that.

He’s a member here? what’s his forum name?
thanks

Keshav