Opinions on this Euro csia project

decampos

Reaction score
Hello there. Am after a decent E9. They're getting pretty rare here in the UK, when they do surface they're pretty expensive. This time last year a decent-ish one could be found for £5k (GBP), these days they tend to appear at about £7-10k

One just came up for sale that (according to the trader) 'just needed painting'. Had it up for £3k ($5k?). Is apparently complete, all parts not on the car are in boxes.

I don't have any experience with these cars but I'm pretty sure this would be a major restoration. Looked to me as though the front wings were rotten, particularly where they meet the bulkhead (pictured), the top of the offside strut (pictured), under the carpet was rotten (pictured).

On the plus side, the car ran (though the carbs sounded as though they needed a tune) and the wheels looked good. Stainless steel exhaust looked new.

I just walked away. What do you guys think of this?

Attachments

• bm01.jpg
    bm01.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 297
  • bm02.jpg
    bm02.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 273
  • bm03.jpg
    bm03.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 254
  • bm04.jpg
    bm04.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 251
  • bm05.jpg
    bm05.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 256

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this one was the last E9

in the UK, it might warrant consideration, BUT.......

In my experience, the rust you CAN see is usually just the tip of the iceberg, and represents about 10% of the rust you can't see.

Because these cars left the factory with limited rust protection (legend has it that some interior structural members were actually unpainted), coupes rust from the inside out.

Using the fenders as an example, once the outer fender is removed, you will be faced with 2 or 3 layers of additional frame members, supports, etc that may or may not need to be replaced.

The floors are a relatively easy fix, but usually rust on the floor translates to rust in the rocker panels which presents another byzantine maze of stuctural panels and layers.

I'm not sure what autobody labor rates are in the UK, but assuming they are similar to the US, this car would represent a very large amount of man hours.

If, however, you planned on restoring the car yourself, most sheet metal parts are available, there are tremendous resources available on the Internet (starting here) and it can be a rewarding and do-able endeavor. (This is assuming you have some basic autobody and sheet metal skills)

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi Decampos,

I'd say the car is probably worth around half to 2/3 of the asking price- when I bought my coupe that cost me £3k and that was a fairly tidy looking runner with MoT, the guys here (as well as you) are right, this will undoubtedly be a major restoration job, although that's not to say it won't be worth doing as the car seems a half decent base to start from by UK standards, they rust a hell of a lot worse than that!

Regarding labour rates, these guys did a fab job restoring my car at a very reasonable price: www.dsmotorsport.co.uk

Simufly

Reaction score
e9 restoration.

By the look of it you made the right decsion, e9s can be money pits when it come to restorations. As has been said before these Karman built cars had minimal if any rustproofing when new and there are many mud/water traps. The sunroof models had a habit if rotting from the inside out out where the drain pipe had come adrift, and the front bulkhead area is a real weak point.
Best to wait for a better one to come along, but I suggest your are being a bit optomistic on the price of a nice one!

decampos

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps, All good feedback. I appreciate it.

I do like to work on cars myself so am not put off by a little 'light' restoration but this is way too far gone for me. Is good to know there is clearly a good wealth of resources online.

is that VIN 2230986?
What year is it?
looks Polaris kinda....
yep, 2230986. 1972 is the year. Polaris apparently

I'd say the car is probably worth around half to 2/3 of the asking price- when I bought my coupe that cost me £3k and that was a fairly tidy looking runner with MoT…

I was indeed only going to offer him £2k though I'm glad I didn't. Prices have really ballooned on these cars. I'm really kicking myself (in the face) that I turned down a decent car for £5.5k last year on account of the car having a velour interior when at the time I was only prepared to settle for leather.

Parts car

If you can find anything on it that´s reusable (doubtful)

I agree but it ran okay and the brakes had apparently just been overhauled. Cromodoras looked in good shape (as did the tyres).

For the UK guys – if you know of a decent car up for grabs please get in touch!!

decampos

Reaction score
Thanks for that Tierfreund. That's an incredible coincidence. I've literally just come off the phone to Munich Legends and then checked this thread.

I didn't ask about the CSL. The price is going to be insane. As for the CSA, the 'guy who knows the price' wasn't there so they're going to phone me back. :-?

The person I spoke to did know that the car has the largest history file he's ever seen which I'm taking as dealer-speak for 'we're selling this for more money than you can possibly imagine'. I'll update when they phone me back.