original radio in e9 coupe

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hello

I would like to ask you about which is the original radio that was installed in the e9´s in those old seventies, straight from the factory

If it is not so much trouble I would appreciate also some photos

regards

Radio's were installed by BMW dealers / importers and mostly they were Blaupunkt Frankfurt which are still readily available from one of the many used radio merchants in Germany or on eBay.

For my 1973 E9 CSi it is the Blaupunkt Frankfurt which has specific knobs for the E9. Picture attached.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

o :)

Attachments

• DSC01929.jpg
    DSC01929.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 750
O, I believe those knobs are the universal or perhaps Mercedes, BMW had a solid silver center. I have a Taiwanese Blaupunkt with the correct knobs. Also shown is a Frankfurt Stereo I have with those same knobs and DIN faceplate.

Attachments

• CIMG1185.jpg
    CIMG1185.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 535
  • CIMG3124.jpg
    CIMG3124.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 490
Howdy,

Here's what was in my '70 before being 'manipulated'.
US Blaupunct Frankfurt w/ CS knobs. Appears to have had a 'dealer' mount plates wrapped in vinyl. Now in a fellow board member's coupe.

CSradioinstalled.jpg

HTH
-shanon

Blaupunkt Bamberg

I use this Blaupunkt Bamberg in my car for the moment. I believe it was the state of the art radio in mid 1970. If I'm not totally wrong this radio was standard in Porche 911 (turbo) and in buyer’s option list for E9 at the time.

At first glint I thought the equipment underneath was an com-radio!!! lol
It's a unit for pre tuning stations and a microphone for voice recording on the tape player !!!

Nice radio though. Works fine with a portable FM-sender stuffed with my own favorite music
from the 70'th :)

e9bilder005.jpg

Last edited:
thank you all very much for your kind help

I appreciate very much your info and photos

I will see what I can do in this topic

regards

p.s. thanks orangener, very well explained topic in the german forum, I will consider your offer:)

The "BMW" knobs were not specific to E9s, but were also used on 2002s and E3 sedans.

I've always thought they were a Blaupunkt part; does anyone know if this is true?

Arde,

Are you referring to the DIN faceplate itself or the pinstriped (if it is) plastic cover behind it?

Attachments

• CIMG3122.JPG
    CIMG3122.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 444
I would bet against a cassette/radio ever being an available option. 8 tracks were on the seen through early-mid 70's. I don't think there's much chance of them ever being supplied from the factory either. I'd guess Blaupunkt stereo cassette radio in pix shown is vintage 1980 or newer. Prove me wrong for a beer!

Becker started offering the Mexico Olympia Cassette with an integrated Cassette player in 1969. Name was changed to Mexico Cassette in 71. Since all E9 radios were dealer installed and usually Blaupunkt or Becker, it could be argued that an early Becker with cassette would be period correct.

Now where´s my beer?

I have a Becker Europa that I assume is original but tough to be certain as my 73 csi was imported from Germany to the US in 1988.

Blaupunkt Bamberg was, as correctly stated in a previous post, the state of art Casette player offered by BMW. It was listed in BMW's option list already 1974-75, so it is perfectly periodic correct for an E9.

Cheers

Period correct BMW E9 Radios

I can add that Blaupunkt Bamberg Cessette/Radio had a price tag of 1156 DM in the January 1975 edition of the BMW E9 Price list. Becker Mexico with cassette/Radio was also available for the E3 3.3L(A) -> priced at 615 DM.

For cars with Klimaanlage (Air condition), BMW recommended (in May 1973) the following Radios:

Blaupunkt Frankfurt (830 DM)
Becker Europa (462 DM)
Blaupunkt Köln (672 DM)
Becker Grand Prix (672 DM)

Cheers

Back