Original rocker cover finish?

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What do you think I would leave trim cover white bellow trim and black on upper side of trim?

Personally I don’t like all black rocker covers especially on white car. I tried how it looks all white and I also don’t like the white gap between black seal and trim.

44455266_283891955556389_1613221829848072192_n.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have mixed emotions (from a design sensibility) of the black rocker. what it does well is to keep the height of the car sides thinner / shorter. having had a solid black car, i was used to it being black but thought the sides seemed to tall, but that's when i discovered that my car was missing the rocker trim. i agree with the previous post about the white line above the trim ... and that is why i have decided to keep the original black rocker configuration with the ceylon paint

Reactions: dp

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i have mixed emotions (from a design sensibility) of the black rocker. what it does well is to keep the height of the car sides thinner / shorter. having had a solid black car, i was used to it being black but thought the sides seemed to tall, but that's when i discovered that my car was missing the rocker trim. i agree with the previous post about the white line above the trim ... and that is why i have decided to keep the original black rocker configuration with the ceylon paint

Yeah on the black car there is nothing to worry about. I think I will simply paint rocker in black on the upper side of trim so there will be no white gap. And bellow white so that car will look lower. Hopefully I won’t make a mess but I simply don’t like black and I don’t like all white either :confused:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be concerned about making the car appear taller/thicker. On any color other than black, the satin black rocker makes the car's profile appear more delicate - which I think is an important detail of the design. The designers exploited this phenomenon with the uni-body architecture - so I assume the stain black was very intentional. With your idea of creating a white line below a black line below the white car, I'd be curious to see what that looks like - although I'd be worried that the bottom white strip would look odd floating below the bottom trim line. Just my 2 cents...

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a felling that with black rocker panels car looks taller compared to rocker panels in color of the car.

1970-bmw-2800-e9-coupe-ca-car-from-new-42579-miles-shown-like-30-cs-csl-30csi-1.jpg

main.php

ebay145222.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
makes the car look higher off the ground but the rocker goes away in the other look ... which makes the car look thinner overall. i am very glad you posted this because it has convinced me that keeping stock in this manner looks better to me.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think semantics have interfered with my comment. By taller, I meant the car itself was taller (there's more car visible) from top to bottom. True, with a black rocker, the white (or any other color) car will also look higher off the ground. I guess, for me, the thinner appearance of the car, regardless of its height off the ground, is important.

That said, I never saw the photo of the white car with white rocker covers you showed. That is a great example of that interpretation. I think it makes the car look more... contemporary.?. (for want of a better term). I'll look forward to pics of your car with the black top, white bottom covers.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have spare rocker covers in black. I tried them on today + played with black tape on white covers to see how it would look.

44683179_2157539274566494_1955633841209081856_n.jpg

44625062_320091968572503_893211047035404288_n.jpg
44398765_274846206704767_4421468054395813888_n.jpg

tape.jpg tape 2.jpg tape 3.jpg

I will go with all black rocker covers ...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love a good science experiment. Nice work!

I don't have any rocker covers. So if you are interested in letting the spare set go... :)

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know the rocker panels were originally black. On my car that was restored by a high end shop in 1989, they were painted the body color, with clear chip protectant. I had originally planned to repaint them in black, but the more I've looked at the car profile, I've decided to keep them as they were re-finished. The color is 'nearly' Granatrot, but has a slight bit of copper in it - Surinamrot, an early '80's Porsche color.

Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the experiment reaffirms my opinion that black is the right color. i think the important finish of satin makes a big difference.

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I know the rocker panels were originally black. On my car that was restored by a high end shop in 1989, they were painted the body color, with clear chip protectant. I had originally planned to repaint them in black, but the more I've looked at the car profile, I've decided to keep them as they were re-finished. The color is 'nearly' Granatrot, but has a slight bit of copper in it - Surinamrot, an early '80's Porsche color.

Gary

Photos?

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i think the experiment reaffirms my opinion that black is the right color. i think the important finish of satin makes a big difference.

How is satin finish made? On spare rocker covers I have satin finish. On white colored finish only bottom edge remained in satin.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score