Paint Ready (Now painted and home)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do you already have replacement windshield seals?
The front is on the way from sfdon. I haven't started looking for the rear yet.

The car is a rust free SoCal car, but was apart when I bought it. It is missing a lot of parts and many will not look good against new paint. I have found many of the missing or bad major parts but I need to go through what I have and determine what I still need in order to attempt to have on hand what is needed for reassembly. I know that even doing that I will be placing lots of little orders here and there as I get into actual assembly.

The car went to my buddy Paul's on Saturday for paint. It should be back in a couple of weeks. Paul is retired like me, and was a body and paint guy his whole career. I have painted cars, but Paul is much better than I am. He has a fixit to do on the front valence that is above my pay grade to do properly. He'll then jamb it, then paint the body. Then after a few days, cut and buff.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My buddy Paul "jambed" my Bavaria last week. Today, I helped reinstall the hood and deck lid and the door striker hardware. I also scuffed the areas over sprayed on the body in preparation to paint the body...

IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3956.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3965.jpeg

I was very pleased how the gaps turned out after aligning the doors, hood, and deck lid...

IMG_3968.jpeg

IMG_3966.jpeg

We will paint it in a few days, then let it sit a few, then cut and buff it.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick this is going to be a beautiful e3 ... so much more than most BMW. looking forward to seeing it finished

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My buddy Paul painted the Bavaria today. Paul is retired but was a professional body and paint guy his whole career. From the final wipe down this morning until the last coat of clear was 6 hours. Sealer, 3 coats of base, 3 coats of clear.

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4034.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

The whole process here...

The paint will have cured enough by early next week to cut and buff it.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice job, Dick. You are going to have to keep this one!
I keep them all....for a while ;) . Then I lust after another project and something has to go.

This is one tough project, BTW. Parts are either expensive or NLA or both. The hunt is somewhat frustrating, but interesting and fun at the same time. Part of the hobby.

bavaria

Reaction score
Paul looks like an old school guy to me (my kind of guy). No HVLP for this man and I would be willing to bet that’s either
a Binks or a Sharpe he is shooting with. This car is going to be awesome!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul looks like an old school guy to me (my kind of guy). No HVLP for this man and I would be willing to bet that’s either
Paul has been doing body and paint professionally since 1960. He says he's painted a lot in production shops with HVLP, but prefers the siphon guns. Hanging above his paint bench is a rack of siphon guns. One for each type of paint. That way there is no messing with settings, needles, nozzles.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love when you go silent towards the end and concentrate on the PAINT! Wow!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting to see that he does not hesitate to start or stop his spraying in the middle of a panel. I had always been told that this is a big no-no.
Does his experience tell him that it does not matter? Or does the type of gun he uses make that a non issue?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can I ask what brand of paint did you end up using?
The urethane sealer was Omni (PPG), the color was CrossFire (NAPA), the clear was EuroClear from Wesco.

This seems to violate what I was taught...that is that all the products should come from the same manufacturer. Paul seems to know what works, however.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting to see that he does not hesitate to start or stop his spraying in the middle of a panel. I had always been told that this is a big no-no.
Does his experience tell him that it does not matter? Or does the type of gun he uses make that a non issue?
I was taught the same. I didn't see much (if any) stopping and starting, however. For example, he always walked the full length of the car to paint the side. It could be our definitions of start/stop are different? In any case, he is so smooth it looks like a dance to me. :)