Paint Ready (Now painted and home)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I stopped by Paul's today to see how the cut and buff is going.
IMG_4104.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

He should be done tomorrow. Hopefully I'll bring the car home Saturday and start reassembly.

He cuts with 1200 then 2000 using a water bug. I go direct to 2000 and cut by hand. I'm too chicken to be as aggressive as a pro like Paul. I go to 3000 only on a black car. Paul buffs with two different grades of compound.

kkro

Reaction score
Looks fantastic! Congratulations

I see you still have the holes for the extra side marking lights. Are such lights still mandatory in US?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lookin GOOD!!!
Thanks.

Side marker reflectors were required in the US for the 1969 model year and side marker lights in 1970. E3s started coming to the US in the 1969 model year, so all E3s here would have them. I wanted this car to remain as stock as possible so I left them on. I have removed them and filled the holes on other cars I have built (not E3s). I agree that they are not attractive on most of the cars in the early years of the side marker light requirement. US vehicle laws vary somewhat by state but are pretty lenient when it comes to what can be done to a vintage car. There is no requirement I know of that they have to be retained on an old car if the owner wanted to remove them.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! Congratulations

I see you still have the holes for the extra side marking lights. Are such lights still mandatory in US?

Side marker lights were first required in the US for the 1969 model year. Laws here on vintage cars are pretty lenient. I could have removed the lights (I've done it on other cars), but I wanted this one to be stock. I agree that they are not an attractive addition.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Side marker lights were first required in the US for the 1969 model year. Laws here on vintage cars are pretty lenient. I could have removed the lights (I've done it on other cars), but I wanted this one to be stock. I agree that they are not an attractive addition.
My Italian delivery 1974 coupe, imported around '92 only has the rear reflectors. I like to think of it as "DOT Lite" pun not originally intended. But I just realized my rear reflectors are actually lights. Or lites. I think it depended on the mood of the inspector on a given day. Or maybe just lazy.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wanted this car to remain as stock as possible so I left them on.
I would argue that "as stock as possible" would be what was delivered in Germany, which would be no side markers. Safety of visibility aside, the markers were US "add ons", I believe sometimes even added once here in the states (I.E., guy at the dealership drilling holes in otherwise clean panels). I could be off on that detail, and I am certainly biased about the appearance. ;) Regardless, the car looks amazing!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would argue that "as stock as possible" would be what was delivered in Germany, which would be no side markers.
...but, I believe the Bavaria was only available in the US. Since 1971 was the first MY for Bavaria, they would all have the rear side marker lights.
Safety of visibility aside, the markers were US "add ons", I believe sometimes even added once here in the states (I.E., guy at the dealership drilling holes in otherwise clean panels).
That would happen if a non US spec E3 was imported to the US. Before it could be registered it would have to be brought to US specs...like side marker lights, MPH speedometer, etc)
I could be off on that detail, and I am certainly biased about the appearance. ;) Regardless, the car looks amazing!
Thanks, and I agree with you about the appearance. Not BMW's best idea.

I am not opposed to modifying just about any car. I have built more modified cars than stock ones...although I do appreciate both. The only other collector cars I own are modified.

28808963674_51311a5f31_c.jpg

1977 MGB backdated with shaved front and rear marker lights, and backup lights, early chrome bumpers, tail lights, grill, seats, etc. 3.5 aluminum Rover V8 and Camaro T5 5 speed.

48095019317_3377ce5d62_c.jpg

1976 Porsche 914. Backdated with early bumpers, shaved front marker lights, 5 lug conversion. 5 liter Chevrolet V8.

A little strange, but on the 914, Porsche slapped the ugly markers on the front and used a nice wrap around tail light to satisfy the rear requirement, while the E3 had attractive turn/marker combos in the front and the ugly markers on the rear.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The biggest crime against humanity was the US bumpers. I have removed them from a 3.0Si and most recently my 1976 2002.
Mine is a 72 model year. July 1971 production. It has the smaller bumpers. I think they changed to the big ones for the 74 MY.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is a 72 model year. July 1971 production. It has the smaller bumpers. I think they changed to the big ones for the 74 MY.
I call them the "delicate chrome bumpers." The other "things" I label "Bus Bumpers." Can't wait to see yours fully dressed.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I call them the "delicate chrome bumpers." The other "things" I label "Bus Bumpers." Can't wait to see yours fully dressed.
I can't wait to see it fully dressed too :) ....but it is going to be a while. I try to do SOMETHING to the car every day, but there is A LOT to do and I'm afraid that often I'll be waiting to find parts that are either missing or damaged.

I agree about the "bus bumpers". The early years of the federally mandated bumpers were sad times for styling. I don't know any car maker that pulled it off. Even worse, were the sports cars that had to increase the ground clearance to meet the bumper height requirement in addition. :(

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is ironic that although from Ma, when we brought our son to Reed in Portland, we then visited friends in Seattle and I had found a junk yard in Washington on the way that had........the side markers that I needed for my E3 during it's restoration.