Parking/ hand brake upgrade.

Simufly

Reaction score
Going through the accumulated stuff. Come across this upgrade kit. The write up can be found on the forum
$25.00 plus shipping
image.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that;s a good price. the question becomes which version. there is the original Paul Cain version ... and the deQuincey update to the upgrade

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
its a most have - works so good its amazing
that is the original setup
beautiful set of brackets.
tap and screw up down -no weld needed.! neat

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
A project I would like to do, could you explain to me what.....”and the deQuincey update to the upgrade” means/is, and where to find them? I have located the Paul Cain version online. Thank you.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Appreciate the response, thank you

just three posts...
i wonder if you are going to get a lot from this forum with that attitude...

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
LOL, once we complete our move from Idaho to Arizona, it will allow for better participation, forum and project wise. (wife willing) I read through your well thought out instructions, I can see why its a needed bit of kit. When we settle, the deQuincey upgrade to an upgrade is now on the list. Thank you kind sir, well played.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought the handbrake upgrade kit from Coupe King. I believe it was called the Paul Cain. The restoration shop installed it and my brake has worked fine without the sloppy lateral movement it had before the work was done. I guess this is even an additional upgrade?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought the handbrake upgrade kit from Coupe King. I believe it was called the Paul Cain. The restoration shop installed it and my brake has worked fine without the sloppy lateral movement it had before the work was done. I guess this is even an additional upgrade?

yes it is, but minimal and maybe only appreciated in the very very very long term
if you already have the original paul cain one, you are ok
if you are starting from the factory setup i would consider it

paul cain original is a M14 crude bolt, the handbrake lever is sitting and rolling against the bolt thread
dequincey upgrade is an M12 bolt inside and brass bushings on top of it, the handbrake lever sits and rolls against a flat brass surface,
so peak contact vs flat contact, see detail:

20191126_095728.jpg

probably irrelevant provided the use of handbrake you do, but hey, if you want the best of the best, and moreover when the difference in price is ridiculous...

you decide

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m working on an even better solution. An M10 bolt with a steel sleeve. A brass bushing floats on top of the steel sleeve. The bushing has a zerk fitting, and the kit comes with a grease gun loaded with graphite grease. I am using swiss bearings imported, stress tested, and branded by Powell-Peralta.

You can finally achieve Ronin-Style e-brake turns on the streets of Paris without dislocating your shoulder (again). If you want the best of the best of the best, go with the @Markos kit! Diagram that highlights the inferior design of my predecessors is in the works.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m working on an even better solution. An M10 bolt with a steel sleeve. A brass bushing floats on top of the steel sleeve. The bushing has a zerk fitting, and the kit comes with a grease gun loaded with graphite grease. I am using swiss bearings imported, stress tested, and branded by Powell-Peralta.

You can finally achieve Ronin-Style e-brake turns on the streets of Paris without dislocating your shoulder (again). If you want the best of the best of the best, go with the @Markos kit! Diagram that highlights the inferior design of my predecessors is in the works.
LOL, the sad part is, I believe you.