PCAR Market Listing1975 BMW 3.0 CSL GROUP 4 TRIBUTE

kys911t

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thought I would post if anyone was interested.
I have no affiliation wit this vehicle.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Must have cost a fortune to build.

the seller notes it has been used exclusively for display and concours events ever since

That seems like a shame to me. Why go to the expense of installing a real fire suppression system (maybe it’s uncharged/empty)? I understand the coolness of building a replica, but not the need to make it functional if the car isn’t going to be driven/raced.

If the build is accurate enough and well sorted, it could be eligible USA and maybe European vintage racing . That would enhance the value significantly, IMHO.

Anyone know the owner who built it?
Was VSR involved?

john

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Needs so much more info about the drivetrain. Rebuilt? Refresh? A real driving video.... The list goes on. I don't get the original intent...

On the plus side, there isn't going to be any chassis flex ;-)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Must have cost a fortune to build.

the seller notes it has been used exclusively for display and concours events ever since

That seems like a shame to me. Why go to the expense of installing a real fire suppression system (maybe it’s uncharged/empty)? I understand the coolness of building a replica, but not the need to make it functional if the car isn’t going to be driven/raced.

If the build is accurate enough and well sorted, it could be eligible USA and maybe European vintage racing . That would enhance the value significantly, IMHO.

Anyone know the owner who built it?
Was VSR involved?

john

Totally agree. I don’t understand the point of these fully built “track day” cars that cost a fortunate. They can’t run in a sanctioned event, or on the street (legally/comfortably). Then they get auctioned and sit because they have zero utility in the marketplace. At least build it to some target spec whether you register it or not.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please share some of your favorites. Thanks
I'd prefer not to revisit them or inflict them upon others. I think you know the type though - someone gingerly driving the car around, probably never going over 40mph. I don't expect people to go hooning about, but when you're trying to sell a sports car a little sportiness would be nice.

BP1

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd prefer not to revisit them or inflict them upon others. I think you know the type though - someone gingerly driving the car around, probably never going over 40mph. I don't expect people to go hooning about, but when you're trying to sell a sports car a little sportiness would be nice.
I meant your favorite good ones! And from a potential buyers standpoint, which one helps sell the car best (driving hard or driving mild)?

Last edited:

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I meant your favorite good ones!
I've almost given up on watching them having seen so many disappointing ones. Markos might have just changed my mind with his reply though. I do like the "good" example that he posted partly because that seller always uses more or less the same route here in Portland where I live.

Do you have any favorites?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this one is built to sufficient period specs it CAN probably vintage race with many sanctioning bodies (SVRA, HMSA,, etc).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this one is built to sufficient period specs it CAN probably vintage race with many sanctioning bodies (SVRA, HMSA,, etc).

It looks like the cage will work. Now
about the Porsche 993 RSR brakes? Either way it is running mechanical injection and a slide throttle, so it’s not like someone would need to a modern engine management system. Not everyone wants to track their car, but it seems limiting to keep the guess work on the table. Good sale prep would be to get the car to qualify for historic racing, which would likely expand the customer base.

Disclaimer: I know zilch about racing in general. :D

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC Mario told me this type of slide throttle injection costs $20k or so, and that was nearly 10 years ago. The build looks really nice. Isn’t 275HP
a bit low for a race motor (at the crank), where 100HP/liter is common?

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I meant your favorite good ones! And from a potential buyers standpoint, which one helps sell the car best (driving hard or driving mild)?
Driven at least somewhat hard for me. I can see arguments for both styles of videos, but I want them to replicate the test drive experience if possible. When I test drove my car I definitely revved it out, did hard braking, etc.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC Mario told me this type of slide throttle injection costs $20k or so, and that was nearly 10 years ago. The build looks really nice. Isn’t 275HP
a bit low for a race motor (at the crank), where 100HP/liter is common?

You are correct about the slide throttle. The mechanical injection is equally expensive. I thought the HP was a bit low. I think Luigi is like 360?

Edit: Confirmed, and that is on a 12v m30. The s38b38 made 335hp from the factory.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Driven at least somewhat hard for me. I can see arguments for both styles of videos, but I want them to replicate the test drive experience if possible. When I test drove my car I definitely revved it out, did hard braking, etc.
Isn’t it unfair to expect a high performance driving video for car not intended for that use case? Seller clearly states this is a show and shine car. Maybe that’s why it only makes 275HP from 3 liters, competitive power not needed. And, Maybe that’s an “at the wheel” number

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn’t it unfair to expect a high performance driving video for car not intended for that use case? Seller clearly states this is a show and shine car. Maybe that’s why it only makes 275HP from 3 liters, competitive power not needed. And, Maybe that’s an “at the wheel” number
I think we're all a little non-plussed about the point of this car. It seems to live in a limbo land where there's not really any place to "use" it. From my short-term participation on this forum, a car that you just stare at doesn't seem to be what most members are about.

I'll grant you the argument that the owner/dealer doesn't want to thrash this car, but the video is still pretty atrocious even given those constraints. Judging by the cement grandstands visible in the video it looks like it might have been filmed outside a race track. "Look, you can take this car near a race track!"

My comment above refers not to this car specifically, but to all driving videos of sporty cars being sold on BaT and anywhere else such videos are posted. A video of somebody backing their Giulia out of their driveway and gingerly driving around their neighborhood isn't particularly useful for me. As noted earlier, I can see arguments for gentle and spirited driving videos - I just prefer the latter.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think I've seen this car a couple times. Trying to remember? I think Andrew Wilson or those NE guys may know.
Might have been at an Ofest. Barber in AL or Mid Ohio?
It is a very nice build that came to shows on a trailer.
Guy was quick to explain it was a tribute car.
Only run a little on and off the trailer.
I may even have a photo but will have to look when I have time.
Gary