Pertronix Solution

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pertronix idling

I installed a pertronix in my 75 csi last week. Was pretty straight forward. On startup the car would idle at 2,000rpm but after driving for a few minutes it would settle down to 1,300rpm. Did anyone else experience that too? Pretty pertronix it would idle at around 8/900. TIA

DaSurfa

Reaction score
I've tried several times at setting TDC with ball in window and crank mark and still I can't my car to start. Once it started but for less than a second. Took distributor out couple times and reset again with the two markings and even taking plug #1 out and using a long straw to check, and still car won't start up. I have the resistor before the + side of coil and switched back and forth between the resistor and + on coil and still car won't fire up.

Anyone have any ideas? I might try to switch back to points to see if car starts up.

David

DaSurfa

Reaction score
Took the Pertronix out today and installed the old points again. Still couldn't get to start, so took out distributor and reset TDC and reinstalled and took couple tries and car started up again. Now car starts up fine but is hesitating at higher rpm and the rpm is kinda jumpy. I tried to redo the timing and the TDC ball set at idle and car runs idle really smooth, but does not rev smoothly and hesitates.

I was looking at older threads on timing and it says to time at 1700rpm with vacuum lines pulled off distributor and set at 22 degs. Where is this 22 deg marking on the flywheel? All I can see in the bellhousing window with flywheel is the TO ball and Z ball.

Thanks,
David

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I ordered a 1867A and something not right.

That black plastic magnetic thing won't fit over the shaft. Maybe my dizzy needs some other model?

Funny how the box says 1867A, but that black plastic thing shows 1847A???

20210425_140102-1.jpg
20210425_140204-1.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You guys who have ordered and used the 1867A...what does your magnet say?

Does it say 1867A or does it say 1847A like mine above (which is weird).

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kind of odd that the instructions that came in the box says "FOR PART NUMBER 1847V", yet the box shows "1867A"

box-and-instructions.jpg

Last edited:

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Rob, mine says 1867 on the magnet and the other part and the box. Same for the spare I carry. 16 mm socket slides over the dizzy shaft.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are downloadable instructions for both the 1867A and 1847A. The units look very different.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Crap! Some chinese factory worker I guess was looking too forward for the weekend when packing it up.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are downloadable instructions for both the 1867A and 1847A. The units look very different.

I think the pats got mixed up w/this, which looks similar to the 1867A:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I got a magnet sleeve for a 1847A, and instructions for a 1847V, and the actual ignitor piece w/the correct 1867a. Odd that my dizzy housing has a round hole for the wires, yet the grommet for the 1867A piece was square.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
For sure the Pats got mixed up .......and we gave away Brady. Your parts got mixed up too. Sadly, quality control is not what it once was. Yes, you need to fit the square into the round hole in this case.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Man, this is ridiculous!

I ordered a 2nd 1867A kit to in hopes I'd get a diff magnet that fits.

Nope.

pertronix-magnets.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks ERic. Appreciate it. But in no real rush to get my E9 driving around yet.

THis time, I ordered DIRECT from Pertronix.

*fingers crossed*