Petrolicious article about E9 with M engine. Amazing car...

lloyd

Reaction score
Looking at this pretty subject begets a trivia question of which I have no immediate answer. The Petrolicious subject sports a 140 mph speedometer, yet all of the E9s of which I am familiar have either 240kph or 150mph gauges. Note that Road&Track also lists the standard US CS model, (the same as the Petrolicious version) as being equipped with the 150 mph version. Realoem ambiguously lists three separate gauges, one fits models from '68 through '75 6212180618. Another fits April '71 through '75 62121353958. Yet another fits February '72 through '75 62121353900. It is unclear whether the different numbers relate to gauge facia including metric or standard English demarcations, or different speed markings (140 v 150), or the "W" (matching) ring and pinion ratio.

Not that it matters much but what models were originally equipped with the 140 mph versions?

FWIW, my E3s were equipped with 140 mph gauges.

Petrolicious:
bmw-3cs-2.jpg

$_1.JPG

!BTUUOtQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjMEjlLmVUyGBKHwTSqHzQ~~_1.JPG

m6KHFQxSMpsFrmwolBWuxPg.jpg

page91.jpg

p_011.jpg

VW Beetle
mZ-OZfWNTfvC2XRgzjLb7Gg.jpg
iu

Nice instrument cluster montage here: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49784&postcount=15

64af.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think the article confirms this is a GPS speedo as the tranny is too modern. I think North Hollywood Speedo.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That 140 MPH speedometer is not original. The odometer seems to be an LCD display, and LCDs were just being potty trained when the E9 was growing its beard.

lloyd

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I looked at the gauge, but obviously not close enough, for this erstwhile analog'er. From what I gather, the only requirement except for cosmetics/fitment is a 12 volt source and antenna mounting.

MPH_DIAL.jpg

105-4881.jpg

vdo-437053d_ml.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Redline gauge works charges around $500 to convert a mech speedo to GPS w/that lcd odo window.

An option for sure when converting to a 5-speed that doesn't have a speedo drive. Will be way more reliable.

audiomagnate

Reaction score
Redline gauge works charges around $500 to convert a mech speedo to GPS w/that lcd odo window.

An option for sure when converting to a 5-speed that doesn't have a speedo drive. Will be way more reliable.

So a cyber attack could take out your speedo? It's very cool but a little disconcerting. Interesting. I guess if something that disastrous happens nobody will care how fast you're driving your coupe.