Pilot bearing challenges

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
HI

I am exchanging my 265/6 gearbox. The one I installed at the beginning of the summer (while dreaming about several road trips) has lay shaft bearing issues. Cheaper to buy another that was reconditioned than to rebuild or buy a rebuilt one. Any-ho...while removing the gearbox I noticed that the needle bearing (2) I installed inside a new sleeve (1) this Spring before reassembling the fly wheel, clutch, bell housing and gearbox is toast.

My 1st question is that I remember setting the sleeve and bearing flush the crankshaft; is it possible the input shaft of the gearbox pushed apart the needle bearing because it was not seated deep enough into the driveshaft?

When I install the replacement gearbox, I will be using the pilot bearing suggested in a previous post. Silly me, in hindsight, to not research this more back then. See link and post #2 https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/which-pilot-bearing-to-use.34085/#post-282719 My 2nd question is, how far do you seat the pilot bearing into the driveshaft?

THX again!

Bill

Snip20211024_2.png
etzVAPFsQAWml1Q6LVnS+w.jpg

qyahpeqyTTaE0iqnSE+7wg.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1. Needles bearings can self destruct so that's likely what happened.
2. Yes, take an appropriate sized long socket that fits the perimeter of the new bearing and hit it all the way home with a BFH. Be careful starting the bearing, a few gentle taps to make sure it seats squarely in the hole (not cocked to one side) before going further.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Whatever Steve says plus understand the hole in the crank is stepped - the bearing can only go in so far.
don’t forget the grease behind the bearing…

Last edited:

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you clearing that up!!

I have removed the blown needle bearing case and the sleeve it was seated in. It was a struggle with a poor quality blind puller but they're out and ready to reassemble with a sealed bearing...yeeeeehaaaaa :)

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• 6LPMOGZVRL2WTazUKMiKoA.jpg
    6LPMOGZVRL2WTazUKMiKoA.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 110
  • z1q0kNllRBS40Ngl2IWn+A.jpg
    z1q0kNllRBS40Ngl2IWn+A.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 86
  • VvP9enMIRZq%Ich0K3+DjQ.jpg
    VvP9enMIRZq%Ich0K3+DjQ.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 93
  • aQiXV9D3QSyWbNp133+uxg.jpg
    aQiXV9D3QSyWbNp133+uxg.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 131

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And now a perfect pic by you of the step in the crank that determines how deep the bearing can be installed.

Attachments

• 21D0672A-37F1-47DC-84B8-AB3E2071B18B.png
    21D0672A-37F1-47DC-84B8-AB3E2071B18B.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 119