Plastic weld project - what kind of plastic is the windshield fluid reservoir made of?

restart

Reaction score
You can also make a slurry from the plastic and a solvent. Then you can make a perfect color match by using say an old piece of a coolant tank or tool box to make your slurry

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have some plastic welding material that is used for repairing Kayaks. You light it with a match and drip it on the area you want to repair. A bit like Ptex for repairing skis, that might work too. If I have any left after repairing my kayak some day. I'll mail it to you for experimental purposes. Should do the kayak before November as it is my only means of leaving the island I spend my fall on before Freezup.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks to HBChris' lightning fast turnaround, engine compartment patina is intact! I used the brief downtime to clean and reassemble the pump assembly so I"ll be ready for the once a year time I actually use it.

Sw7mU45DcjLUxXWRz-Mgsoks6ZTjmUzQw3S8XgGpNLyifxHUVhUQN7FebubtUYL6Tnl1aTqEQT_VKp7JPDsmdeqytlZrUpLaTgYv0EwjI4Op2dIyToPkv7-4TcGt3eEDJm-zdNBXPfO0vlv4VS8UdAeXHH7zU1-yUezo8ot4d4ggCT7UhilOAO1dblkJWaI8a2Z4UaJjNq1nGRZFxAbWPsl9NJqnX9zSUYMort3cT6ZW8V-GnyYBFcyy7DwnYjTxfOwBtOa2LPLoMt6sB6AoCKEYsnJWI97fZDEfqIA65qPW3EwShU0ENNQtcckQCnEHhwNZrqTkW5n28MREwmKqkjmVSIZZcAyvYkm8_xCBiCqKGE1YJ2ggRPqCvJrx5mRrdimVAXd1z_ugRjFMAkEvLKvYvTFRdQDtu2mV5NFLwYAuOW19-O-uyuSZC25wWTN3-Or2-YRkEqg65m8Y4ShN8pyy-ZjoOuzbu3S8V0gRQSSk5fAmIaOt_oXdAn5bggI9xsqUDPLOG0c4WAtm-YjevcMZ0lKi3nuYxTmmSg1OLSQBJ44HRhEwmTbItYDbO0snv45v-e3onkYdaGO8w8lppiP6W4ndA2wOBbaZkbtsi5gCzsOnpZgMzgY4lfgPMlaFcw_xZCSfcACfFj9FbI754kZdT3ISPA_T7m93yyNAmn6T6LSu-ZgqRg=w1042-h781-no

Honolulu

Reaction score
Four years ago I bought a Honda CRV with 100Kmiles on it for my daughter. Underside and engine compartment were slick and clean and even the exhaust was pretty nice. The car lived a quarter mile from the ocean on the windward side... it saw a lot of salt. The 18YO seller had just redone the top end. "Do ya feel lucky, kid?" I asked myself. But the 18yo answered my questions properly, named a reputable machine shop for that work, and 40kmiles later there have been no failures attributable to his work. I hesitate to attribute this to the kid, but it's that or simple Honda goodness. The cleanliness, which extended to the interior (it was his mom's car, but still) continues to confound me.

Warning, though: Honda CRV engines (and maybe others) are known for valves which eat their way into the seats at about 100Kmiles, resulting in tight valves and possible overheating.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to HBChris' lightning fast turnaround, engine compartment patina is intact! I used the brief downtime to clean and reassemble the pump assembly so I"ll be ready for the once a year time I actually use it.

I know that you want me to see the new washer tank, but all I can see is triple webers...

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, off topic but it looks like this thread is done anyway. I laughed the other day because my son was assembling his '01 S2000 after paint and complaining about the plastic fasteners breaking. At the same time, I was installing the plastic straps that hold the wire and windshield wiper hoses on the bulkhead of my E3. Those straps are 50 years old and every one of them came out and went back in without a problem. Still very pliable after all these years.
I replaced the window washer tube on my 2000 528i, the parts under the hood were like glass, part of the tube near the pump was still soft

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update.....on the kayak repair material I promised to send SteveHose to see if it might fix his leaking washer fluid reservoir. I'm on the island, it is freezing. I have heat, but snow on the ground. My ritual is long to shut this place down. Bring all the tools I want back in the boat to my car, put everything away....get rid of all food and drinking water.Then the last thing is winterize two boats and haul them up on the dock with 4 chain hoists supported by 8X6 beams that I have to lug across the span. Was down at the dock at sunrise, because I only have till 3PM to hit the water. Harbour should freeze in three or four days.
As I am shovelling the dock to make it a bit safer to work on....I realize, someone has stolen my Kayak within in the last week. Hard to leave the island without a boat. Fortunately My wife's Kayak is still under the porch. It is bigger, harder to get on the car, but is my way out. SCUM!!! The repair material was inside the stolen Kayak. If it is too rough at 3PM, I'll be spending the night eating popcorn and looking at Kayak ads .

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
To add to it, That was a rough paddle. I was so exhausted by the time I left, (7 to 4pm of ceaseless output lifting and carrying stuff) . Water was calm in front of my place, but by the time I got out on the lake it was very windy and the waves were kicking up which I was not expecting. The wind was blowing the way I wanted to go, but it did not feel safe, so I had to tack like a sailboat to get to the Marina and paddle like hell. Nothing relaxing about cottage ownership. Since talking to locals, it is possible the missing Kayak was blown off the dock, as it was windy last week. If we get some good weather at the end of the month, I'll go back for more abuse, as the other Harbour and lake doesn't freeze entirely till mid December!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, try Plyobond, I used it on a leaking manifold vacuum line on my 1933 Packard Twelve in the mid 1990s and 2 applications of the stuff fixed the vacuum leak for 20+ years. Those 12 cylinder engines pump out some serious heat too.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
To add to it, That was a rough paddle. I was so exhausted by the time I left, (7 to 4pm of ceaseless output lifting and carrying stuff) . Water was calm in front of my place, but by the time I got out on the lake it was very windy and the waves were kicking up which I was not expecting. The wind was blowing the way I wanted to go, but it did not feel safe, so I had to tack like a sailboat to get to the Marina and paddle like hell. Nothing relaxing about cottage ownership. Since talking to locals, it is possible the missing Kayak was blown off the dock, as it was windy last week. If we get some good weather at the end of the month, I'll go back for more abuse, as the other Harbour and lake doesn't freeze entirely till mid December!
So...this is all in the interest of..."recreation" then? ;)