Pop Top Car Recommendations Wanted

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Departing Washington DC has changed my vehicle needs. Specifically, I no longer need concern myself with the fact that the local governments in and around Washington, DC cannot manage either snow removal or road maintenance.

Accordingly, I am planning to sell my Supercharged 2008 Range Rover Sport in favor of a convertible. (Anyone interested in a luxurious, absurd, three ton, 390 hp, off road capable vehicle?)

What do folks recommend and why? I’m thinking of something in the $20k range, so the Z8 is likely out.

The e30, e36 and e46s are my starting point. Stan has recently acquired an e30 convertible, and these cars are pretty high on my list (Stan - how do you like it).

Andrew has one of the Z4 M Roadsters (a Z4 M, perhaps) that I know he likes those. I didn’t like the “flame surfacing” originally, but in recent years the styling of those cars has grown on me.

A buddy of mine is a big Miata fan; he recommends the 2003 to 2013 MX-5.

And I have always rather liked the Mercedes Benz W124 convertibles, (there is a nice one on BAT right now).

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMO and with that criteria, a clean Honda S2000 would be worth a look for me.

2007-honda-s2000-1.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the thing i like about the e30 convertible is - you can migrate e30 m3 suspension parts and develop an amazing handling car. the only car that i though handled better than the e30 m3 is the 987 cayman / boxster. similar profile, just more power. i also like the look of the e30 convertible. that being said, you can find early versions 987 boxsters in the low / mid 20's ... even boxster S (2006 to 2013). this would be first on my list. if you need any info on them, happy to help

i do like the late z4's more than the early ones ... the m versions probably aren't in the price range ... but good cars.

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought an e46 M3 convertible a couple of months ago. They can still be had with relatively low miles (mine has 56k) in that price range or a few thousand more. Definitely checks all the boxes you mentioned, and IMHO the most classic design...even has e9 fender vents

The best part is, the ladies love it.
Namely my wife and 6 year old daughter!

Last edited:

dbower

Reaction score
Lovely E46 M vert with hardtop:

E85 M roadsters are selling for half the price of the coupes. Crazy inversion.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Owning a convertible, I find the only time I really enjoy the top down is night time. Surprised me. All the suggestions so far look good to me. My Miata is fun every drive, cheap and dead reliable. With more power I'd like it more. Watch out for bad plastics on the E46 and E36. Never driven an S2000 but always liked the looks, and I'd bet it is appreciating in value. Probably a car you have to enjoy winding out and most likely gutless in normal driving.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have had the luxury to enjoy for a few days over the past years a Z3 (1.8 l) a 2010 Z4 (3.0) and an M40i lately. The Z3 is just too small and in that motor underpowered. I miss the power the Z3 in the same manner as I missed it in the Miata (MX5 in Europe) of a friend.
The Z4 I really enjoyed, touring is heaven in the German hills. It's also in budget. The M40i being 4 times over budget, is also 4 times over what you need to comfortably tour.

That said, that E46 M3 of TravL350 also would fit my taste....

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
For a daily driver:
E46 M3 Cab > E30 Cab
Maintenance and insurance is probably way higher on the M3, but most important for me in a daily is safety, which the e30 doesn't have, at all.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the first and second gen Z4’s were the most successful “flame surface” designs, and have aged very well. The Z4 is at the top of my list of retirement cars,

Miata’s are wonderful but most develop lots of rattles after a few years. The new Miata seems ok on power for me, isn’t as cute, but is a big step up on designed-in quality compared to the earlier generations.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the first and second gen Z4’s were the most successful “flame surface” designs, and have aged very well. The Z4 is at the top of my list of retirement cars,

Miata’s are wonderful but most develop lots of rattles after a few years. The new Miata seems ok on power for me, isn’t as cute, but is a big step up on designed-in quality compared to the earlier generations.
Actually my 99 doesn't have any noticeable rattles ( but I am a hearing aid wearer) . It does have a lot of extra bracing which made it noticeably stiffer. (Roll bar, butterfly brace in floor, Frog arm brace in doors). I don't think it compares to a Z4, I just find it fun to drive because you can drive it very hard and not go that fast.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am always amazed at how sizes have changed over forty years...how lithe, or "delicate" the e9 looks compared to the e46. My wife's former e46 used to dwarf my 2002 when side by side in the garage. Also the relationship of the scale of the wheel/tires to mass of each. Like the old racing comment (Fangio?) about when the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny...sorry, I digress.
My roadster isn't quite this nice, but my wife is...Greg Larson and wife recreating a '68 promo shot for Datsun...
Simple, fun, dependable, and if a 2000, fast. Mine is a humble, loveable 1600. Smaller investment than others above...Plenty of smiles per gallon.

Attachments

• datsun roadster.jpg
    datsun roadster.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 108

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am always amazed at how sizes have changed over forty years...how lithe, or "delicate" the e9 looks compared to the e46. My wife's former e46 used to dwarf my 2002 when side by side in the garage. Also the relationship of the scale of the wheel/tires to mass of each. Like the old racing comment (Fangio?) about when the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny...sorry, I digress.
My roadster isn't quite this nice, but my wife is...Greg Larson and wife recreating a '68 promo shot for Datsun...
Simple, fun, dependable, and if a 2000, fast. Mine is a humble, loveable 1600. Smaller investment than others above...Plenty of smiles per gallon.

That is a cool car. When I was in Monterey in 2017, I spotted this really nice 2000 at the Little Car Show and chatted with the owner. His Dad had been stationed in Korea, bought the car while on leave and brought it back with him. Here's a pic of it at Mike Berger's shop:

20170817_154952.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
We really enjoyed our 6 speed e46 M3, it was my wife's daily for 3 years. The e36 M3 convertible I sold recently on BaT was nice too, I probably would have kept it if it was a manual. Now my wife drives a 2018 Jeep Wrangler, you can really air that thing out if you want. Beside taking the top off, the doors come off and at still has a folding windshield.

gallery_40924_458_235087.jpg
gallery_40924_458_646552.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like the BBS wheels.

How is the beltline on the e46? One of the things I hate about my wifes E class is the fact that you can't rest your left arm on the door while you drive. That problem would be even worse in a convertible. Can you do this while driving an e46?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, that is easy to solve. Here is a link to a celebrity that can sell you the gadget he used in Capitol Hill:

How is the beltline on the e46? One of the things I hate about my wifes E class is the fact that you can't rest your left arm on the door while you drive. That problem would be even worse in a convertible. Can you do this while driving an e46?

Mmshul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had a friend back in the early 70’s who drove a 1600. It was solid, and as you say, plenty smiles per gallon! There is no way I could fit in one today though...;)

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had a friend back in the early 70’s who drove a 1600. It was solid, and as you say, plenty smiles per gallon! There is no way I could fit in one today though...;)

I had a Datsun Roadster for a short while and could not fit in it so quickly flipped it. (it came to me in a pkg. trade years ago)
I'm a svelte 6'4"/228 and think 5'8"/160 is about the biggest guy those cars will semi-comfortably fit, and there's no space to move the seat back.

Love the look of those though