Pop Top Car Recommendations Wanted

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Totally agree, but I've had no electrical problems whatsoever, nor had the previous owner of the car (whom I knew) who lived in Utah. That's nearly 10 years of experience on a car that is now 17 years old. I think a lot of the components that MB used in the 2000's were better quality than some competitors. I was not impressed at all with MB's quality on new cars they introduced in the 90's.

Regarding the Porsches - Over the 15 years I was doing track driving with my Porsche, the 944 and 968 guys seemed to have more engine issues (probably not electrical) than the 911 folks or those few of us driving 928's. Might just be because the cars were being stressed. I have several friends in the PCA who have 993 Turbos, and they don't seem to have many issues. Those engines are a different design than the standard 993, so the IMS is not a problem..

PS: Scott's comments below showed me the error of my ways. Either a typo or a mental block, The reference above should be to 996 Turbo P-cars, not 993's. My apologies.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary,

993's are air cooled, they were pre engine redesign with the IMS bearing of the water-cooled engines. 993's are no longer affordable, the turbo is phenomenal - the question for your PCA buddies is how much they drive their cars - most, not that much. street driving any car is much easier on the engine than the stresses of track driving - in race cars, most electronic systems are eliminated. by comparison, the 996 / 997 are complex machines ... i have a 997 that i drive daily - 60+k miles in 6 years(and love). solid performer, no issues. but the sport chrono / PASM suspension / PDK tranny are all really complex and intertwined. you have to have a lift to do any work on a 986 / 987 / 996 / 997 as vitually nothing is accessible from the topside.

my point is not whether you have issues, its just ... when you do, it is difficult to chase down. the complexity of multiple systems can be overwhelming to solve for the individual that does not have the analytic equipment that a MB / Porsche service center has ...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Actually before he got into Corollas he had a K car convertible for quite a while. I think it had wood panelling on the side. It is getting vague now, but he might have also had a Renault Alliance convertible. He has always been attracted to the low end of the car pool. He should have stuck with his winning Toyota Dream.

I hear these Lotus's are Nice too

Yeah, I'm not following in the footsteps of anyone who owned a K car.