Power steering fluid USA

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've tried to find 3 or 4 of the 20 approved power steering fluids from the manual, seems they are discontinued.
What are y'all using in the us that may be at a local parts store?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Related question: my steering is very noisy. Not sure if I need a rebuild or simple filter change. Any ideas on where/how to change the filter?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
C270F2D3-C64D-4CEB-87BE-8B8C6A22328B.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a plate above the filter -disassembly is required.
So just to be clear, I have to go beyond where I see the liquid? Can I clean the filter or do I need to replace it? Sorry for asking all these stupid questions but I am not that mechanically inclined

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Drain the fluid, Disassemble, toss the filter, install new filter, reassemble, Fill with fluid, check level after running engine.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Reservoir is out of the car being painted. Thanks for the answers to the question of what fluid to buy. I hope the Castrol ATF is available here in the USA. Now to find that filter. Does anyone have a part # ?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I searched several websites and did not find the Castrol Transmax Dex3 ATF. What have forum members in the USA used? Has anyone used a synthetic ATF such as Redline?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Search for just Dexron III, penzoil and valvoline Dex III on Amazon. WRT synthetic, I never believed the thought that you will uncover leaks if you switch to synthetics but my Bavaria is an automatic and uses Type F so I use Redline racing ATF. I sprung a leak at the speedo insertion after switching. Not a controlled experiment, conclusion based on chronologic observation.