Pretty nice 74 on Ebay

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one of two things happened - either the seller didn't really know what he was really selling (or the potential value) - he's not the one who spent the money on the car. or it was a problem child underneath that he discovered after buying it.

if he's not a real car guy and doesn't know anything about selling old cars, what's underneath would have never occurred to him. i really wish i could have seen it before hand and advised interested people.

but for the price it sold, one could spend 5k on a 5 speed install and still had a bargain (AS LONG AS ITS NOT A BASKET CASE)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suspect that some shiny paint was covering up a typical (e9) with corrosion concerns. But the sale seems to represent a value a bit lower than what "the market" has been demonstrating lately. Hope the new owner joins the forum.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm the one who took the gamble and bought the car. I'll let you know what I find when it comes home to my garage in San Diego in a few weeks. I've been looking for an E9 for a few years but didn't want to pay the $80K and up that the really nice ones are getting. Fortunately I prefer an automatic transmission and I'm OK with the 1974 bumpers and the color change so that saved me some $. I fully understand that rust is a given with anything other than a fresh complete restoration.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm the one who took the gamble and bought the car. I'll let you know what I find when it comes home to my garage in San Diego in a few weeks. I've been looking for an E9 for a few years but didn't want to pay the $80K and up that the really nice ones are getting. Fortunately I prefer an automatic transmission and I'm OK with the 1974 bumpers and the color change so that saved me some $. I fully understand that rust is a given with anything other than a fresh complete restoration.
Welcome. I hope for the best, and look forward to hearing what you learn when it comes home to you. Congrats!

leonine99

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Eric

Congrats and keep us in the loop as far as how the car is when it shows up. And get on the SoCal Vintage BMW mailing list, we do events all year leading to the meet in November (Oct 31 in 2020) including an open house at La Jolla Independent, a place you should get to know well. HBChris also runs the Vintage BMW portion of the Huntington Beach Concours in June, and all vintage BMWs are welcome, not just show cars. We NEVER have enough coupes!

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi leonine99,
Thanks for the So Cal welcome, I’m in Encinitas, looking forward to making those connections.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome Eric, i hope this coupe exceeds your expectations when it arrives. i don't really know any of the past history ... not sure how long it has been in Atlanta as i have never seen it.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome Eric- please let us know what you find upon close examination. There are allot of people looking for "the right coupe" and your recent purchase will help those focus in on the right price. I think, provided there is not a bunch of rust under the paint, that you did well with your purchase- especially since you prefer the automatic. There are probably some articles here on how to get a little better performance out of your automatic. My coupe was originally an auto and was quite "not fun" to drive in that configuration -for me. Also, I believe there were a couple different automatics used in our e9's. I'm looking forward to hearing about your car. Please keep posting :)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats Eric on your Coupe purchase. I was watching the EBay auction as were other forum members. A year ago I bought my car and had it shipped from Maui to Ft. Lauderdale. I suggest getting an enclosed trailer from the auto transport company for the trip across the country. Also, Haggerty insurance will cover your new purchase the minute you have paid for the car. You do not need to have the title in your name before it is insured. You will find the forum members are very helpful with any questions you have about your new purchase.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome and helpful info. I’m an experienced Fiat and Alfa guy but need to learn BMW. Will report back when I see the car in a few weeks. Happy New Year!

Manthri Srinath

Reaction score
Looking at those pictures again, I see bubbling on both the left and right lower front fenders. I hope that’s not more than skin deep, although I’m told it usually is. I found two bubbles on my car after purchase, too - even though I looked at it in person. I’m going to investigate after the new year. Good luck with the car. Looks nice!

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Should have this car in my garage next weekend. Anybody in Houston recall this car? Kamins Motorcars sold it on eBay 10/21/2019 for 36K and there are service records from Driversource and f2Motorwerks dating back to 2016.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Looking at those pictures again, I see bubbling on both the left and right lower front fenders. I hope that’s not more than skin deep, although I’m told it usually is. I found two bubbles on my car after purchase, too - even though I looked at it in person. I’m going to investigate after the new year. Good luck with the car. Looks nice!

They all bubble down there eventually. Car turned 45 this year, thats about the same age we all start seeing hemorrhoids!

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK got the car, it is beautiful and elegant and runs and drives really well. It is very complete and stock. No surprise to any, there is significant rust but I am not going to let it keep me from enjoying the car! It is in the typical areas behind the front wheel wells extending up towards the cowl, I took a video but it won't attach. Also rusted through in the spare tire well. Shock towers are good. The floors and rockers look like they had recent good quality repairs, I don't see any visible patches and everything is solid but there is fresh undercoat.

Spare tire is an ancient Michelin X 175-14, looks like it's never touched the ground.

So very close to complete tool kit! What's missing?

Nice surprise in the glovebox: an owner's manual and USA supplement.

I see that I neglected to get some beauty shots, will do that tomorrow.

Attachments

• SPAREWELL.JPG
    SPAREWELL.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 230
  • SPARETIRE.JPG
    SPARETIRE.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 236
  • TOOLKIT.JPG
    TOOLKIT.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 258
  • OWNERSMANUAL.JPG
    OWNERSMANUAL.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 245

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK got the car, it is beautiful and elegant and runs and drives really well. It is very complete and stock. No surprise to any, there is significant rust but I am not going to let it keep me from enjoying the car! It is in the typical areas behind the front wheel wells extending up towards the cowl, I took a video but it won't attach. Also rusted through in the spare tire well. Shock towers are good. The floors and rockers look like they had recent good quality repairs, I don't see any visible patches and everything is solid but there is fresh undercoat.

Spare tire is an ancient Michelin X 175-14, looks like it's never touched the ground.

So very close to complete tool kit! What's missing?

Nice surprise in the glovebox: an owner's manual and USA supplement.

I see that I neglected to get some beauty shots, will do that tomorrow.
Hi Eric,
Congrats - sounds like a resoundingly positive report.

Regarding the video, the forum will not accept the files directly. You need to post your video to YouTube and then copy and paste the link. Once you do that, I believe the video thumbnail shows up as your link here.

Enjoy!